Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Felt very autumnal this morning with a few spots locally down to 5/6c.

This is despite 850hpa temps well into the teens so an impressive temperature inversion.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Shocking day for working in today for mid September. Awful. Thankfully Autumn is due in the next few days. Really looking forward to the drop in temps, seasonal weather again! Didn't speak to one person today who enjoyed this weather at this time of year. Down mainly in the Midlands.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Very warm here on the Isle of Wight too, we managed 27.4'c where I am on the East coast, along with the rest of the island into the mid to high 20's as well. Now currently at 24.2'c.  

Really enjoyed the last few days, almost feels like late July- early August but I can definitely feel that Autumn feel despite the heat due to some trees changing colour and the fading daylight. Quite looking forward now to the journey into the heart of Autumn and Winter! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

High of 28.4C at Leeds Uni.

Some wild parakeets in Roundhay Park today - they're becoming an increasingly common sight in Leeds. Guess they finally migrated from down south. I wonder how far north they’ll move?

E9A1F66D-0CBD-45A7-A8DA-DABFFD10D7DC.thumb.jpeg.0b88624d8e933e4b8ff2e260d30afd36.jpeg

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Shocking day for working in today for mid September. Awful. Thankfully Autumn is due in the next few days. Really looking forward to the drop in temps, seasonal weather again! Didn't speak to one person today who enjoyed this weather at this time of year. Down mainly in the Midlands.

I must admit I like this sort of weather in summer managed to reach 26.4c with humidity around 70% but in September (autumn), it’s not so nice and I’d rather see some cooler days and nights. Having said that I still at least realise this is what most of the general public want and enjoy and going for a walk to the park or the beach will prove this.

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Current forecast suggests no sign of autumnal weather IMBY for the next 10 days.. 

Bedroom temp was 30°C earlier but down to 22°C now with the AC. Thank god no more hot, sticky nights for me! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Current forecast suggests no sign of autumnal weather IMBY for the next 10 days.. 

Bedroom temp was 30°C earlier but down to 22°C now with the AC. Thank god no more hot, sticky nights for me! 

lucky you! may be half decent tomorrow here, but more like autumn from Thurs

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
36 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I have a feeling that we are in for an anticyclonic dominated month. Whilst it does cool down a little at the end of the week, temperatures will still be above average and it's looking fairly dry in some places. Even though it's early days, I hope we do get a proper autumn this year. As opposed to going straight from summer and into winter.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted

Last of the summer heat I say today, very unlikely will see such values again this side of April at least, but never know.. Indeed once into October maxes in the 20s don't feel as warm due to less heat in the sun and generally cooler winds.

Tomorrow will bring a marked change in the feel of things, some places 10 degrees drop if not more under a cool NE wind and with more cloud I think many will be caught out..

Autumn equinox is around the corner and marks the proper start to Autumn, there is sudden shift in the overall feel of things end of September, before the major one comes once the clocks go back. We do have a very nice pleasant week ahead still, make the most of it everyone, top up on the Vitamin D, before the long winter, will need it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Went for a walk earlier this evening and you wouldn’t have thought it was September (apart from the fact it was getting dark at 7:30 and there weren’t any tourists about).

B3A30686-EF5A-4C57-A06E-CF20D1A9FD89.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

High of 28.4C at Leeds Uni.

Some wild parakeets in Roundhay Park today - they're becoming an increasingly common sight in Leeds. Guess they finally migrated from down south. I wonder how far north they’ll move?

E9A1F66D-0CBD-45A7-A8DA-DABFFD10D7DC.thumb.jpeg.0b88624d8e933e4b8ff2e260d30afd36.jpeg

That reading is again too high- where are the official stations around Leeds that have got anywhere close to that figure? Yesterday that 27.7C was not realistic either. As I said earlier, nowhere north of Gloucestershire managed a rounded 28C yesterday. Linton-On-Ouse managed a rounded 27C today- I really find it hard to believe that Leeds Uni was effectively 2C warmer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

That reading is again too high- where are the official stations around Leeds that have got anywhere close to that figure? Yesterday that 27.7C was not realistic either. As I said earlier, nowhere north of Gloucestershire managed a rounded 28C yesterday. Linton-On-Ouse managed a rounded 27C today- I really find it hard to believe that Leeds Uni was effectively 2C warmer.

I don’t have the answers you’re looking for I’m afraid - there are no official Met Office stations in close proximity to Leeds. The university station has always looked perfectly reasonable - as an example, it recorded 31.1C on August 11th, while Linton-on-Ouse recorded 31.0C on the same day. Likewise Leeds Uni recorded 35.0C on July 25th last year, while Linton recorded exactly 35C as well. That suggests pretty good accuracy to me. I suppose it’s possible it may over-read on occasion, but it has typically always been very close to Linton’s readings.

Regardless, I’m happy using it as a point of reference in the absence of anything else - a couple of days being 1-2 degrees warmer than Linton doesn’t really concern me, particularly since it’s more than 20 miles north of Leeds city centre anyway so a few days being a couple of degrees warmer/cooler shouldn’t be that uncommon, depending on things like cloud cover and wind speed/direction. 

If the Met Office ever open a weather station in the city to replace the one they shut in 2003, I’ll happily use that instead.

Edit: having checked, Linton recorded a maximum temperature of 27.4C today, so was only a degree cooler than Leeds University. I don’t see how that is unreasonable or hard to believe - even the old Church Fenton weather station was sometimes a degree or two warmer than Linton and that was Met Office quality controlled. ?‍♂️ Maybe Leeds was just the warmest place in northern England today - it’s happened before and will happen again I’m sure.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I have a feeling that we are in for an anticyclonic dominated month. Whilst it does cool down a little at the end of the week, temperatures will still be above average and it's looking fairly dry in some places. Even though it's early days, I hope we do get a proper autumn this year. As opposed to going straight from summer and into winter.

Not sure about rest of month staying anticyclonic, signal for unsettled conditions from this time next week on. We are also about to see much cooler nights which will cancel out only a little above average maxima in days ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I would like a breeze, opening windows does so little at the moment and i'm trying to cut back with relying on Air Conditioning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Already 3c warmer than this time yesterday, going to be a hot one. Weather forecast saying a lot cooler today but actually for the coast it should be Warmer, that will confuse a lot of people around here.

Edited by Freeze

Posted
10 hours ago, cheese said:

I don’t have the answers you’re looking for I’m afraid - there are no official Met Office stations in close proximity to Leeds. The university station has always looked perfectly reasonable - as an example, it recorded 31.1C on August 11th, while Linton-on-Ouse recorded 31.0C on the same day. Likewise Leeds Uni recorded 35.0C on July 25th last year, while Linton recorded exactly 35C as well. That suggests pretty good accuracy to me. I suppose it’s possible it may over-read on occasion, but it has typically always been very close to Linton’s readings.

Regardless, I’m happy using it as a point of reference in the absence of anything else - a couple of days being 1-2 degrees warmer than Linton doesn’t really concern me, particularly since it’s more than 20 miles north of Leeds city centre anyway so a few days being a couple of degrees warmer/cooler shouldn’t be that uncommon, depending on things like cloud cover and wind speed/direction. 

If the Met Office ever open a weather station in the city to replace the one they shut in 2003, I’ll happily use that instead.

Edit: having checked, Linton recorded a maximum temperature of 27.4C today, so was only a degree cooler than Leeds University. I don’t see how that is unreasonable or hard to believe - even the old Church Fenton weather station was sometimes a degree or two warmer than Linton and that was Met Office quality controlled. ?‍♂️ Maybe Leeds was just the warmest place in northern England today - it’s happened before and will happen again I’m sure.

I can't prove that it's wrong but it's always been known that the Vale of York is generally warmer than other parts of Yorkshire due to topography- you'd expect the York area to be warmer than Leeds in this sort of spell. Leeds is also higher up for the most part and from what I can see the University is also on a bit of a hill. I always think places like Doncaster are a good marker as well- it's in a more favoured spot than Leeds and further south.

Similarly when the NW is favoured and there is a SE wind, low lying areas like Blackpool and Crosby seem to be favoured for some of the highest temps.

I still find it hard to believe that that 28.4C is accurate for Leeds Uni yesterday. It's not quite as far fetched as the 27.7C on Monday though.

If they are not official sites I don't think they can be completely trusted, especially when the readings seem to be high.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
4 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I can't prove that it's wrong but it's always been known that the Vale of York is generally warmer than other parts of Yorkshire due to topography- you'd expect the York area to be warmer than Leeds in this sort of spell. Leeds is also higher up for the most part and from what I can see the University is also on a bit of a hill. I always think places like Doncaster are a good marker as well- it's in a more favoured spot than Leeds and further south.

Similarly when the NW is favoured and there is a SE wind, low lying areas like Blackpool and Crosby seem to be favoured for some of the highest temps.

I still find it hard to believe that that 28.4C is accurate for Leeds Uni yesterday. It's not quite as far fetched as the 27.7C on Monday though.

If they are not official sites I don't think they can be completely trusted, especially when the readings seem to be high.

Urban heat effect, the university is essentially on the north side of the city Center and there’s not really any non-concrete sizeable gap anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Not much to get excited about today unless your in the South!  The N/S split in full swing likely to close out the final 25C day of this year  

Its only 17C here in Cheshire right now after a slow & chilly start. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

14°C heavy overcast Octobery day in Shefffield.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Much better day for working in today, far cry from yesterday thankfully. Autumn may have arrived at last from the outlook at last.

Posted
13 minutes ago, markyo said:

Much better day for working in today, far cry from yesterday thankfully. Autumn may have arrived at last from the outlook at last.

Still as warm as yesterday here. No difference whatsoever in London.