Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Back to today, and this must be the warmest I've felt in September for many many years, perhaps since 2006. In 2016 I was confined to an air conditioned office so didn't benefit.

27.7C here now, warmest September day since 2016. The Septembers of 2017-2019 were pretty lacklustre. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

About 23°C and sunny here this afternoon and felt very warm but it was quite chilly this morning - could see my breath outside! That wouldn’t happen in July or even late August. You definitely notice the chilly mornings in autumn more compared to spring, as the sun rises much later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Reached 24°C in Sheffield today, very pleasant indeed, spent much of the afternoon outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Reached 26°C here which was a bit warmer than I was expecting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

According to the Leeds Uni weather station, it hit 27.7ºC in Leeds today.... Not sure on the specifics of the station so I can't say how accurate that temperature is.

https://sci.ncas.ac.uk/leedsweather/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

According to a link on the site it uses a personal weather station, while they can be very good, they aren't going to be as accurate as a properly sited and ventilated stevensons screen set up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

According to the Leeds Uni weather station, it hit 27.7ºC in Leeds today.... Not sure on the specifics of the station so I can't say how accurate that temperature is.

Its a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station so a highly regarded brand but it could be possible posited incorrectly such as on a roof or surrounded by concrete or buildings.

This mornings minimum temperature seems very high as well.

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer18 said:

Yes definitely and noticeably lower in the sky, not complaining though! 

Has that bitter sweet feeling. Similar to the feel of late March going into April, where the days can start to feel warm, but with a chill in the air. Only difference this time is, we are now heading into the darkness, instead of moving away from it.

Will be ironic if we face a second major lockdown, now we are moving into autumn and winter. March and April were grim, but at least we had the increasing daylight to look forward to. It was very depressing in mid to late March, during those early stages of the lockdown. Everything felt very eerie, as the evenings were still darkish.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, MP-R said:

I know, I'm messing lol. Mid August to mid September is it's own month in some ways. We both of course get different conditions from different setups. I think the main thing re the fog is that if it does turn up in summer, it's often burnt off before I'm even up lol, whereas today it was still around gone 9am. Re the foliage, it's more the mucky green/brown hue that the leaves take on further into August, rather than full on autumn colour. It's just not that summery vibrancy anymore. Having said that, there are a few early turners round here that are definitely in autumn mode. I always see them driving so never get photos sadly.

Back to today, and this must be the warmest I've felt in September for many many years, perhaps since 2006. In 2016 I was confined to an air conditioned office so didn't benefit.

30 September 2011 was a very warm day, most places got into the mid - upper 20s and it was humid. Today's warmth hasn't had the same feel about it as then, indeed we maxed out at 23 degrees, notable but nothing special.

Posted
5 hours ago, Stelmer said:

Not to be trusted 

25FD4B65-BCBF-43C6-807D-0695B67C60F2.thumb.png.96fb8b4db703ccb040a9272e936010a3.png

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, MP-R said:

September is quite unique when it’s like this. No other month would you get mid twenties with the sun strength of mid-late March.

Yes I quite like the combo of warm temperatures and lower sun angle, something you only get in warm spells in mid-late September and early October. There's something quite magical and tropical feeling about it.

The complete opposite in early spring when it's only 10-13°C but with strong sunshine feels so much warmer but still feels chilly in the shade. A bit like being in a warm country but at a high latitude (strong sun, lower temps).

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Not to be trusted 

25FD4B65-BCBF-43C6-807D-0695B67C60F2.thumb.png.96fb8b4db703ccb040a9272e936010a3.png

Yeah 23/24°C seems about right for most places in northern England today. It was warm but it wasn't that warm!

Look at the poor old outer Hebrides struggling at 15°C. Probably with heavy rain, brisk winds and leaden skies as well. Rarely any warmth for them.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
13 hours ago, Stelmer said:

26C

Sounds far too high to me- that's basically a rounded 28C. No official station north of Gloucestershire managed that. 27C was only reached from the Midlands south as well, apart from in a couple of sheltered areas of North Wales.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Its a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station so a highly regarded brand but it could be possible posited incorrectly such as on a roof or surrounded by concrete or buildings.

This mornings minimum temperature seems very high as well.

Yes the readings from the station are far too high looking at the temperature history. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Seems to have flatlined at 22c but it’s sunny and very muggy at 82% Humidity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

30c here now in Cambridge

Very hot for mid September! Current live maxima:

30°c Cambridge
29.7°c Manston
29°c Mildenhall Royal Air Force Base
29°c Southend-On-Sea
29° Northolt

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

30c here now in Cambridge

Very hot for mid September! Current live maxima:

30°c Cambridge
29.7°c Manston
29°c Mildenhall Royal Air Force Base
29°c Southend-On-Sea
29° Northolt

27C at Manchester Airport as well, very impressive this far north going into the 2nd half of the month.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Reached 27°C here which isn’t bad going for here in September. Warmer than some of the days during the hot spells in the summer as there’s no breeze. 

• Like 1

Posted

It's much warmer than I expected, or what the Met O forecast was forecasting as recently as yesterday.  Feels like August all over again.  Looking forward to the fresher, if still sunny weather later this week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
On 12/09/2020 at 15:12, BruenSryan said:

If the UK hits at least 30C during this spell, it'll be the first time that every month from June to September has had an absolute max of at least 30.0C somewhere in the UK since 1949 presumably (cannot 100% confirm this due to limited data at hand). 2005 almost did it but missed by a few tenths of a degree in September and May that year also had 31.4C. Other years that come to mind are 1911 and 1949 which successfully achieved the 30C in every month from June to September whilst 1933, similar to 2005, missed the mark somewhat in September.

1947 (and possibly 1868) is the only year in recorded history that 30.0C or more has been observed somewhere in the UK every month from May to September although as previously mentioned, 2005 almost achieved this too. 

I knew I was missing one year, 1961!

image.thumb.png.c2cbb23677ce2aa576c12d2d62f6bf32.png

• Like 1