Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
21 hours ago, Zak M said:

I must be one of the few people on here that isn't looking forward to Autumn or Winter!

I love some autumn weather types and the season but the average winter in S England is just horrible, a misery to be endured, unless there’s plenty of cold, clear days, some snow or squally showers. It’s usually better here in C Europe, we actually experience seasons

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
43 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Fair comment, as long as it’s very infrequent then I quite enjoy a day of heavy frontal rainfall. It’s peps up plantlife much better than any hosepipe. Would rather the rainfall came from proper thunderstorms, though!

Agree with everything you said especially the thunderstorms!

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
16 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

winter sucks here too, mostly wind and rain, maxes between 8-12 all winter

i don't know what is worse that or wind and snow and maxes between -8 and -12 all winter plus it lasts 6-7 months

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i don't know what is worse that or wind and snow and maxes between -8 and -12 all winter plus it lasts 6-7 months

must get fed up of that, just like I do of mild and wet from Nov to Mar, why I don't want same weather outside these months

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Freeze said:

You only have to look at the shoreham observatory station which is literally less than half a mile away from me to find that there are very few days in the summer months that record more than 1mm of rain. I personally think summer rainfall is getting less and less each year where I am, which is why I don’t mind days like this. I wouldn’t want this on most days, just every now and then. 

We will have dull wet days in summer. 

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I'm not really, 6 months of dull 10 degree weather, no thanks, used to look forward to winter when we could guarantee snow in 90's

I used to look forward to it between 2008-2012, and before that, probably the early to mid 90s.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
On 18/08/2020 at 16:35, HafrenLMP1 said:

Thing is, I like the idea of autumn/ winter if they turn out how you hope; sadly, frequently they're nothing of the sort - and end up grey, wet, windy & miserable. There was a thread last year about what we like/dislike about winter. 

That is half the fun for me, eagerly awaiting positive updates in the MOD thread, the thrill of the chase and Especially when it turns out as most want in winter!

Waiting to read the updates with a cup of Tea when I get in from work is the best hour of my day!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Quite a strong signal for an anticyclonic and foggy October on the CFS. Potential for some early frosts I would have thought too

image.thumb.png.01353825300d14d21e7d2706dd3b19a9.png

• Like 8

Posted
On 19/08/2020 at 21:11, CreweCold said:

Quite a strong signal for an anticyclonic and foggy October on the CFS. Potential for some early frosts I would have thought too

image.thumb.png.01353825300d14d21e7d2706dd3b19a9.png

That's what we need !!

Much cooler this morning

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got back down to single figure minima (8.5c) last night,haven't had them for a few weeks.  Looks like Summer will be going out with a whimper this yr ,hello autumn ........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

3 in 6 days. *shudder*

3AF0215F-E113-4BA7-A596-392AEC68AFE4.jpeg

What is that?...huntsman spider?

Somebody told me a housewives tale that if you don't want spiders in your house/room put conkers in each corner...haven't tried it out yet.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

What is that?...huntsman spider?

Somebody told me a housewives tale that if you don't want spiders in your house/room put conkers in each corner...haven't tried it out yet.

It does seem to work in my experience. When I lived at home with my parents, it was an old house and I used to get big spiders in my room during the autumn. One year I put conkers around and peppermint spray I think it was and I didn’t see a single one that season.

This big boy was on the back of the toilet door. Too big for me to catch on this occasion so I had to enlist my partner. She used to kill them but I’ve made her catch them humanely and put them in the garden - though on this occasion she doesn’t seem to have put it very far away from the back door.

1CA2DC04-A22F-45C4-935F-21F32DA65C0F.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Using yrs with similar ENSO conditions 

If this year was similar = a cool wet Sept, warm dry Oct, and cool dry nov.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
14 minutes ago, Azazel said:

3 in 6 days. *shudder*

3AF0215F-E113-4BA7-A596-392AEC68AFE4.jpeg

Gosh! Not seen any massive spiders here yet, but I’ve had plenty of daddy long legs. Thankfully they’re easy to deal with, just pick ‘em up and chuck ‘em out the window!

Posted

It’s sunny intervals here this morning but it definitely feels fresh rather than warm. I’ve just opened the bedroom window and overnight the temperature had dropped from 21.0 to 18.8!  

Though it actually doesn’t feel cold. Just nice and fresh. I think it’s because we’ve lost the dampness that we had over the weekend, which always makes things feel colder.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Gosh! Not seen any massive spiders here yet, but I’ve had plenty of daddy long legs. Thankfully they’re easy to deal with, just pick ‘em up and chuck ‘em out the window!

Yeah daddy long legs are ok, they’re just stupid and fly into your forehead and stuff. There’s just something about house spiders - their long ‘bony’ legs - eurghhhh. I’ve held a tarantula with no issues though - they’re kind of soft and furry like a hamster - so it must be something to do with the body shape that gets under my skin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

daddy long legs

They're spiders. I think you mean crane flies?

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
On 18/08/2020 at 16:27, Zak M said:

I must be one of the few people on here that isn't looking forward to Autumn or Winter!

You’re not alone... I’m the same.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Ahhh yes crane flies. The ones that are always flying around the kitchen with legs missing etc

Posted
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yeah daddy long legs are ok, they’re just stupid and fly into your forehead and stuff. There’s just something about house spiders - their long ‘bony’ legs - eurghhhh. I’ve held a tarantula with no issues though - they’re kind of soft and furry like a hamster - so it must be something to do with the body shape that gets under my skin.

Yes I’m the same. Held a tarantula last year with no probs, but the massive house spiders freak me out. I’m getting better at my fear of spiders though. I’m ashamed to admit I used to squish them with a tissue. But now what I tend to do is get a sheet of kitchen roll, lure the spider onto that and then go outside and get the spider off it again.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

They fly yes. 

Just looked up crane flies and daddy long legs - yes I think I have crane flies - though it’s confusing as people often call any insect with long legs “daddy long legs”.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Ahhh yes crane flies. The ones that are always flying around the kitchen with legs missing etc

Mine get stuck in the bathroom.