Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
18 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

All the constant  moaning about the hot weather,surprised people arent jumping for joy its turning much cooler and unsettled soon,and this is supposed to be a weather enthusiasts forum,where weather extremes when they arrlve like heatwaves you would think would be embraced,not just constantly moaned about.Be the same if we ever get a proper cold spell this Winter,as if...

Not allowed to like heat on here anymore, the thought police are tightening the screws

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Got quite a severe drizzle falling at the moment, and a temp of 16C. If not for the complete absence of wind, it’d be like a SWerly in October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
12 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Disgraceful conditions, weekend woes strike again. Could be almost any month of the year. 

Can’t believe the turn around! I was thinking a gentle return to something more average, but it’s gone completely pear shaped to absolutely dreadful. Days and days of 18/19c and no sun. Grim.

15 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Can’t believe the turn around! I was thinking a gentle return to something more average, but it’s gone completely pear shaped to absolutely dreadful. Days and days of 18/19c and no sun. Grim.

Could be several more days of low sun amounts before a low running jet starts blasting in....likely the start of 9months of autumn....

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Not allowed to like heat on here anymore, the thought police are tightening the screws

Lol, heat lovers matter!! 

I feel we need to make a stand.

• Like 1

It gets worse, it’s pretty much moderate rainfall now! It’s been pretty much a 0 out of 10 day. Also a million times worse than forecast.

looks like the drizzle is now back building out into the channel 

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This is officially the first evening I am really starting to notice the nights drawing in. I never really notice it all that much until around the middle of August as the process is very gradual.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol, heat lovers matter!! 

I feel we need to make a stand.

Haha, we do! Though I think we’d be fighting a losing battle. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This is officially the first evening I am really starting to notice the nights drawing in. I never really notice it all that much until around the middle of August as the process is very gradual.

Yes, mid August for me is the marker for the change from peak summer, to late summer and the gradual shift towards the darker period of the year.

Its definitely more obvious now and the lack of daylight is increasing more rapidly from this point.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

-15C isotherm returning to wet the tongue.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

-15C isotherm returning to wet the tongue.

Steady on!  A few more weeks of warmer weather first please!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

A lovely cool, damp feeling to the morning today. September is two weeks today

Autumn is knocking on our door now, not long to go now till hopefully the best season of the year!

Posted
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 23:42, CreweCold said:

Wasps are another thing I HATE with a passion. Evil, horrible things with very little purpose in autumn other than to annoy humans before they die off over winter.

what I find with yellow jackets is that I just leave them alone, because come autumn time they die off and leave a empty nest,which will then put off any future wasps from returning to the same area next summer, wasps are very territorial and will not go near any other nests that are active or dead! so leave up any old nests as a deterrent.. happy days!

Posted

I always find it funny when people say "just don't move" or "leave them alone" when talking about wasps.

I tried the whole "don't move" thing when I had one buzzing around my face a few years back. It stung me on the neck. I knocked it to the floor and stamped on it until it resembled nothing but a stain.

Awful little creatures.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

I always find it funny when people say "just don't move" or "leave them alone" when talking about wasps.

I tried the whole "don't move" thing when I had one buzzing around my face a few years back. It stung me on the neck. I knocked it to the floor and stamped on it until it resembled nothing but a stain.

Awful little creatures.

https://sussexwildlifetrust.org.uk/discover/in-your-garden/article/154

Interesting article which explains why wasps become a nuisance/annoyance/beasts from hell in late summer - they’re basically starving. A tip I learnt last year was that if you leave some very ripe fruit in an area of the garden well away from where you sit, the wasps head for that and leave the rest of the space alone. Might be worth a go.

• Like 2

Posted

In my youth I was camping in a tent, in a sleeping bag, one summers night . About 5am I woke up and thought I’d rolled on the zip. I turned over and it caught me again and I thought ‘that zip is really sharp’. A third time of ‘rolling on the zip’ and I got out of the sleeping bad to inspect it.

As I did that a wasp flew out of the sleeping bag after me. Yup - I’d been stung 3 times by a wasp that had decided to share my bag. 

I’ve never camped since. 

Edited by Coopsy

Posted

I know Wasps are a pain in the pin cushion, and if one approaches I am the first to give it a wide birth. But, contrary to popular belief they are vital to the environment. Not only do they feed small pests, they are also vital pollinators.

The problem we have towards the end of summer is that at this time they grow more hungry due to the lack of food (as mentioned above), hence they come into more and more contact with humans in their hunt for food.

Annoying little s***s that they are, they're not as pointless as some believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Autumn is also the season of giant massive f**k-off spiders. 

I am absolutely petrified of spiders, but I will try and remove them humanely by trapping them in a glass (I sweat so much doing this I need a sit down after) - if it takes me by surprise though as they have a tendency to do, then all bets are off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I am absolutely petrified of spiders, but I will try and remove them humanely by trapping them in a glass (I sweat so much doing this I need a sit down after) - if it takes me by surprise though as they have a tendency to do, then all bets are off.

All credit to you,at least you try to be humane.....unlike certain folk on here!(they know who they are)!...Spiders hold no fear for me, i'm brave and tough Yorkshire man. A snake...slightly different, there would be a Yorkshire man hole in the nearest door followed by the biggest girlie scream you could hear! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I've absolutely no problem with spiders, Az (and, that's in spite of the fact that one bit me on the goolies, when I was 11!)... unless they're black and yellow, as black and yellow things give me the creeps. So, maybe it's nae the spiders that worry me; but, as sure as Hell is hot, I swear I'll be a vespicidal maniac, come November!

Shoot! There's are no wasp emoji!:crazy:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, markyo said:

All credit to you,at least you try to be humane.....unlike certain folk on here!(they know who they are)!...Spiders hold no fear for me, i'm brave and tough Yorkshire man. A snake...slightly different, there would be a Yorkshire man hole in the nearest door followed by the biggest girlie scream you could hear! 

And just like that - just shook out a towel to get in the shower and a decent sized blighter lands on the bathroom floor. Managed to trap him and put him in the garden though and then pegged it inside haha.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I must be one of the few people on here that isn't looking forward to Autumn or Winter!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2