Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Why? I was bitten by one a few years ago, and even before then, I wasn't a fan. 

Was that in this country?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Why? I was bitten by one a few years ago, and even before then, I wasn't a fan. 

People have to understand this, if you have a phobia.

Agree, I hate spiders.

Vile, horrible things that scare the crap out of me when I catch sight of one. That panicked, thudding chest feeling is grim.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Don said:

Was that in this country?

House spiders can nip you yes. I got bitten by one trapped in my bedding.

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

House spiders can nip you yes. I got bitten by one trapped in my bedding.

Yes, they're intimidating little buggers!

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Yes, they're intimidating little buggers!

The males get aggressive during mating season so are less scared of humans than they usually would be. I've had them run at me before rather than running away.

Posted

Wasps are another thing I HATE with a passion. Evil, horrible things with very little purpose in autumn other than to annoy humans before they die off over winter.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

The males get aggressive during mating season so are less scared of humans than they usually would be. I've had them run at me before rather than running away.

I get lots of them in my house, more especially during autumn but at all times of year.  If they show attitude, I find pointing the vacuum cleaner at them tends to show them whose boss!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

I get lots of them in my house, more especially during autumn but at all times of year.  If they show attitude, I find pointing the vacuum cleaner at them tends to show them whose boss!

Yep 

Who ever said vacuuming won't help are wrong. It will be the males you suck up and so no chance of any egg laying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Don’t mind house spiders, they look scary but are harmless. It’s the false widows that I hated, when living in the UK. Those are much more aggressive and many people have had severe reactions to their bites, nearly losing body parts! 

B5C86809-2C58-40ED-9722-E284071C39B7.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
On 14/08/2020 at 07:46, Dangerous55019 said:

I’ve just heard the autumn song of the robin for the first time this year. :oldsmile:

A sound track to gathering mists, ripening fruits, and shortening days. :oldsmile:

0915EAD6-F842-4081-8467-C0D5B5A3FD9B.jpeg

I too heard the Robin's autumn song for the first time yesterday.  I always think it is very melancholy compared with their uplifting spring song.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Out with the faithful hound at 06:00 this morning, and there was a beautiful, gentle autumnal mist enveloping the area. :oldsmile:

76FFBC13-2909-4F1C-874D-065D961E95C8.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Segestria florentina is another British spider that can give a painful bite, but they are less aggressive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
30 minutes ago, B87 said:

Segestria florentina is another British spider that can give a painful bite, but they are less aggressive.

Seen these, too! They have amazing green fangs when the light catches them. There was one wandering around under the guttering at my Mum’s place last year, it was absolutely massive

361DC5B8-ECDC-4976-A7BB-8CB23C39976F.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Seen these, too! They have amazing green fangs when the light catches them. There was one wandering around under the gutter at my Mum’s place last year, it was absolutely massive

361DC5B8-ECDC-4976-A7BB-8CB23C39976F.jpeg

I noticed loads of them living in a brick wall by Twickenham riverside.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

I noticed loads of them living in a brick wall by Twickenham riverside.

Good habitat for them. They really can grow huge, very scary looking 

At present here is my 3 month prediction.....

September 2020 - Bursts of Indian Summer and a Spanish plume or three. Highest temps will exceed 30.C with a couple of late tropical nights. However, in between there will be cooler, wetter incursions. I go with a CET of 16.2,C, warm end if not the warmest on record.

October 2020 - I think this will be unusually settled for an Autumn month with prolonged High pressure. This will mean some unseasonably warm days at times in the low to mid 20s but equally a small nudge in the High will cause a few frosty nights. CET of 12.7.C again warm end but not a record.

November 2020- Sunny and mild to start but turning increasingly more unsettled and Atlantic mid month with a cold snap at end. CET 7.7.C.

Overall, sunnier, drier and warmer than average and very close to but not quite mildest on record

• Like 2

Almost laughable conditions, under only the lightest pixelated radar returns yet the drizzle is actually borderline heavy rain and  hasn’t been dry all morning. Utter fail in the forecasts, shouldn’t be surprised as everyone almost 100% of the time under estimates the time these stagnant fronts take to clear, especially we sun is not overly strong to break them up in the first place....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Cool, gloomy day in London. I'm loving the autumnal feel to the weather after a warm, sunny spring and a few periods of hot summer weather.. Hope we get an autumnal September this year. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Almost laughable conditions, under only the lightest pixelated radar returns yet the drizzle is actually borderline heavy rain and  hasn’t been dry all morning. Utter fail in the forecasts, shouldn’t be surprised as everyone almost 100% of the time under estimates the time these stagnant fronts take to clear, especially we sun is not overly strong to break them up in the first place....

I had 2mm overnight radar had nothing this fine drizzle which is very wet lovely jubbly. 

Posted

My Autumn prediction for London.

September: 22c/13c, 55mm, 180 sun hrs

Active hurricane season gives alternating blasts of warmth and chilly/wet periods. A warm, wet and sunny month.

October: 16c/10c, 60mm, 120 sun hours

Fairly average month all round.

November: 13c/7c, 35mm, 50 sun hours

A very mild month, but dry and cloudy.

5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Don’t mind house spiders, they look scary but are harmless. It’s the false widows that I hated, when living in the UK. Those are much more aggressive and many people have had severe reactions to their bites, nearly losing body parts! 

B5C86809-2C58-40ED-9722-E284071C39B7.jpeg

A friend of mine got bitten on the back of the neck by one of these a couple of years ago, he ended up having two weeks of work. ‘‘Twas a very unpleasant experience.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

A friend of mine got bitten on the back of the neck by one of these a couple of years ago, he ended up having two weeks of work. ‘‘Twas a very unpleasant experience.

Ouch, sounds painful I don’t remember ever seeing them until about 10 years ago. Then they started appearing absolutely everywhere! I’ve noticed that there seem to be less of the usual spider species around, maybe these false widows are eating them, too?! The milder winters have ensured that they survive and breed.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

All the constant  moaning about the hot weather,surprised people arent jumping for joy its turning much cooler and unsettled soon,and this is supposed to be a weather enthusiasts forum,where weather extremes when they arrlve like heatwaves you would think would be embraced,not just constantly moaned about.Be the same if we ever get a proper cold spell this Winter,as if...

• Thanks 1