Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
49 minutes ago, al78 said:

I'm not wishing for autumn weather, but I am wishing for a cooldown. This weather is useless, too hot to do anything useful outside. It can be decent without being extreme, there is such a thing as a happy medium.

Yes, I'll take a 23-27c with sunshine. But, hopefully not the cloud fest and low 20s.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 09/08/2020 at 04:04, Coopsy said:

I used to love September in the Canadian Rockies. It was still warm generally high teens, low 20’s. But as September progressed the first snows would appear on the mountain tops, and every few days the snow would get lower down the mountains. The air turned crisper, the trees more yellow and red until finally we had the first snows in the town. Magical.

Here’s a pic I took - if you’re dreaming of snowy days (like I do daily lol)  

6346DD96-DF6F-48FF-B9A7-F397554785CC.jpeg

There has been a lot of snow in the Rockies this year..more than previous summers thus much of the snow has remained on the mountains that normally would have gone by now..my bench mark tree here in Edmonton has already started to turn a week or so earlier than normal...shows how short summers can be here as trees only came into leaf in late May

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

There has been a lot of snow in the Rockies this year..more than previous summers thus much of the snow has remained on the mountains that normally would have gone by now..my bench mark tree here in Edmonton has already started to turn a week or so earlier than normal...shows how short summers can be here as trees only came into leaf in late May

I always remember thinking that about the trees. Very short lived.

It sounds like it’s not been a great summer. My concern will be the spring melt next year if there’s still a fair bit of snow and theres a snowy winter ahead.

Having lived through the ‘13 floods - always a concern. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Coopsy said:

I always remember thinking that about the trees. Very short lived.

It sounds like it’s not been a great summer. My concern will be the spring melt next year if there’s still a fair bit of snow and theres a snowy winter ahead.

Having lived through the ‘13 floods - always a concern. 

yep i was in Calgary when the floods hit in 2013..can happily report the golf course at kananaskis has been rebuilt and was looking great when i was there last year.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yep i was in Calgary when the floods hit in 2013..can happily report the golf course at kananaskis has been rebuilt and was looking great when i was there last year.

That’s good to hear. So many businesses suffered. I’m due to go out end of Sep (subject to quarantine rules) so will check it out 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Just caught my first Daddy Longlegs of the season... Always a good harbinger of autumn. :oldsmile:

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Just caught my first Daddy Longlegs of the season... Always a good harbinger of autumn. :oldsmile:

Definitely. I'll search the cellar later

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Had our first daddy long legs last night, and this morning I noticed two cobwebs in my front garden.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
Just now, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Had our first daddy long legs last night, and this morning I noticed two cobwebs in my front garden.

There were loads of them in my house last night! Once they get in they get stuck and can’t seem to find a way out again, so I pick them up and put them out the window.

• Like 2

Posted
On 11/08/2020 at 07:33, Dangerous55019 said:

Yes there were loads of them in my house last night as I had the windows open. I’ve noticed them for the last few nights actually. Guess autumn isn’t too far off in East Lancs then. Usually starts to feel autumnal around late August early September around here most years.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes there were loads of them in my house last night as I had the windows open. I’ve noticed them for the last few nights actually. Guess autumn isn’t too far off in East Lancs then. Usually starts to feel autumnal around late August early September around here most years.

Windows screens! I’d not be without them.... 

936EF7C2-8539-4369-B861-D1D064A4F2A6.png
it’s not the crane flies that bother me it’s the big ol spiders that like to climb through at night and get cosy next to you under the duvet

Edited by Coopsy

Posted
3 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Windows screens! I’d not be without them.... 

936EF7C2-8539-4369-B861-D1D064A4F2A6.png
it’s not the crane flies that bother me it’s the big ol spiders that like to climb through at night and get cosy next to you under the duvet

They will be popping In for a cuppa when we reach September.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Peppermint and conkers....works great 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
9 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Peppermint and conkers....works a great 

I can certainly vouch for peppermint. Whilst I love autumn, I do dread spider season as I have a phobia of spiders, so the peppermint hack is a life saver for me. Whenever one of those big buggers do get in however, I use a spider catcher which I bought off Amazon. Another life saver.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yep not long till spider season now. Always get a few massive ones in September and October. I've never found one on the bed though!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I can certainly vouch for peppermint. Whilst I love autumn, I do dread spider season as I have a phobia of spiders, so the peppermint hack is a life saver for me. Whenever one of those big buggers do get in however, I use a spider catcher which I bought off Amazon. Another life saver.

I couldn’t believe it till i tried it. Didn’t see another one. Yup got one of those too. Very handy - though some of those bad boys don’t fit in them.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I just spray them with bleach.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I’ve just heard the autumn song of the robin for the first time this year. :oldsmile:

A sound track to gathering mists, ripening fruits, and shortening days. :oldsmile:

0915EAD6-F842-4081-8467-C0D5B5A3FD9B.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
19 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I just spray them with bleach.

So your killing the one thing that actually helps keep bug numbers down in your house.....very smart

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
2 hours ago, markyo said:

So your killing the one thing that actually helps keep bug numbers down in your house.....very smart

And killing them in a pretty horrendous way. Nice. Try and have a bit more humanity at least. Spiders are useful.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, simshady said:

And killing them in a pretty horrendous way. Nice. Try and have a bit more humanity at least. Spiders are useful.

Why? I was bitten by one a few years ago, and even before then, I wasn't a fan. 

People have to understand this, if you have a phobia.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Why? I was bitten by one a few years ago, and even before then, I wasn't a fan. 

People have to understand this, if you have a phobia.

As someone who has arachnophobia, I can certainly understand how you feel. I do try to avoid killing them if I can though because I do appreciate that they are very beneficial and without them we will have insects galore. However, I do not have the confidence to use the popular glass and paper method to put them outside (except for when it's a small spider), so before I got this spider catcher I'd normally get the hoover onto them.

I would HATE living in Australia, due to my phobia of spiders.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
59 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

As someone who has arachnophobia, I can certainly understand how you feel. I do try to avoid killing them if I can though because I do appreciate that they are very beneficial and without them we will have insects galore. However, I do not have the confidence to use the popular glass and paper method to put them outside (except for when it's a small spider), so before I got this spider catcher I'd normally get the hoover onto them.

I hoovered them before, with the old type hoovers with a bag. You can imagine what that sounded like.

Using a vacuum will not get rid of them. They will lay eggs inside.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Spiders, and also Uncle Mickey. He's one scary character lol.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1