Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

It's that time again. As mid summer approaches, we can start speculating on what Autumn may bring.

Will we get a an Indian summer? What will the decent towards Winter bring us?

As always, kudos to the first "this thread is too early" post. Happens every year! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Given the sst in the Atlantic being low I'd expect a stormy start to autumn which is quite normal.

Posted

I’m going to predict it being a boring nothing season. 

Will start sunny and warm, then turn cold and sunny towards the end of September and into early October. The early autumn chill will be replaced by 6 weeks of cloudy mild weather with temps between 14-17c. Dry and cloudy, mixed with wet and windy days. December will be cold though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

For cambridgeshire:

September -above average temperatures with a high of 33c and a new record for the hottest September ever.

October - above average temperatures, cloudy, dry, little wind, not much in the way of active weather to report.

November as per October. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Says a lot about our modern day climate if we have autumn chat in July. Have we really given up hope of ever having a warm sunny August?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
44 minutes ago, al78 said:

Says a lot about our modern day climate if we have autumn chat in July. Have we really given up hope of ever having a warm sunny August?

The autumn thread usually starts around now. Having said that you’d have been forgiven if you thought it was autumn during a lot of this month so far. 

Posted
46 minutes ago, al78 said:

I still have faith we will have our best summer weather this year in August. Think I may have predicted it, but can’t remember now lol. I predicted July would be the stinker month of 2020, and so far it really is. 

Also, I’m still confident August will produce a widespread thundery plume event.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’m banking on a good August. I think I’ll be climbing up the walls (I already am) if the rest of July is pants and August doesn’t deliver.

If previous solar min Septembers are anything to go by, I’d err on the unsettled side, equally into October, a very stormy November then becoming cold before Christmas.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I’m banking on a good August. I think I’ll be climbing up the walls (I already am) if the rest of July is pants and August doesn’t deliver.

If previous solar min Septembers are anything to go by, I’d err on the unsettled side, equally into October, a very stormy November then becoming cold before Christmas.

A winter like 1986/87 or one of those late 2000s winters (08-12) coming up?

1990/91 or 81/82 would be great. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I've got a good feeling about this September.  A new record-breaking CET of 17°C+ after a hot August.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
47 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

I've got a good feeling about this September.  A new record-breaking CET of 17°C+ after a hot August.  

I think given the lengthening nights at that point, it would be hard to achieve such an average. We start to hit low signal mins which really pull the average down even with 30c days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

My views on autumn:

Autumn will start milder, with mainly mild nights and temps in the upper teens/low twenties. There will be periods of cloudy and rainy weather, with one or two sunny days possible. In October, middle autumn, it will be mostly overcast or cloudy, with periods of wet and windy weather, temperatures anywhere between 0 - 18°C depending on location. November seeing more in the way of colder weather, even air frosts possible at low level late in the month, but mostly around 10°C in the day, with more in the way of wet, unsettled weather, but also the possibility of some milder conditions and one or two partly sunny days if you're lucky. Overall, we expect it to get gradually cooler from the beginning to the end of the season, with a tend towards increasing wetness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
32 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

I think given the lengthening nights at that point, it would be hard to achieve such an average. We start to hit low signal mins which really pull the average down even with 30c days.

The existing record is 16.8c for September CET so 17 or 17.1 would be within reach 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

A winter like 1986/87 or one of those late 2000s winters (08-12) coming up?

1990/91 or 81/82 would be great. 

I wouldn't be surprised if something like 2008/09 transpired. We were supposedly coming into a solar min through last year and had a naff winter, as we did in similar fashion in 2007/08 so I think we have a better chance of a colder winter this year.

If the trend of the jet stream to stay well south like through this summer so far continues later in the year, with any luck we'll be north of it during the key winter period, but may also result in a wet autumn, more so the second half.

Very generalist though and only based on past occurrences, which as we know, is a dubious technique at best.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

YAY!! The Autumn Thread... The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is now just around the corner! :yahoo:

Sorry I'll calm down now. :oldgrin:

Evening everyone, I had my first pangs of autumn a few weeks ago, and Friday morning just gone actually gave me my first glimpse of the coming season, (the joys of shift work) :oldgrin:

Anyway, here is my hopecast for Autumn 2020...

September: I would like September to be a summer like month, but with the shortening days allowing those gentle mists to form during the evenings and mornings... Just as a reminder that we're now in autumn. ☀️

October: Similar to September, but cooler... Also those gentle mists slowly giving way to our first fog day(s) of the season... I also wouldn't say no to our first autumn storm either. I'd also like a bit of a misty and foggy Halloween as well... Just to add to the atmosphere.

November: Well, it can start off where October left off, but once bonfire night has past, I think its about time that some proper autumn storms were unleashed with a vengeance! Plus a fair few frost starts as well. ?️❄️

I also wouldn't say no to a few of those days when you get that wonderful smokey, golden light that you can sometimes get in the autumn. :air_kiss:

Ahh well, I can but hope. :oldrolleyes:

Anyway, I'll shut up now as I could witter on about autumn for ages... But lets hope that Autumn 2020 is a good 'un for us all. :oldgood:

IMG_4067.JPG

• Like 6

Posted

Autumn's here already if you know where to look. The first fruits of the season, cherries, have already been and gone, raspberries are bursting, ate my first (sour) blackberry yesterday and the apples and pears in my garden are a good size already.

Conkers are on the trees and swelling, hazelnuts are coming along nicely and Lords 'n' Ladies are popping up in the hedgerows.

I was out surveying the coming crops for my Christmas booze making frenzy last night: Sloes, elderberries and damsons look abundant and will be sat in kilner jars with sugar and gin in about a month.

• Like 7

Posted

Yes i've noticed some reds and oranges starting to appear in some foliage and also plenty of fruit emerging on bushes and trees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Autumn thread when we aren't even half way through summer yet?

I hope for a Sep 1949, Oct 2011, Nov 1994 repeat.

Edited by B87

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

Autumn thread when we aren't even half way through summer yet?

I hope for a Sep 1949, Oct 2011, Nov 1994 repeat.

Always starts this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted

Autumn thread in july..your one month late when it started..haha..well whenever it does start lets hope it dont drag right through winter like last year..as others have said seeing leaves on the trees changing colour already is strange..august yes but july is a bit early in my book..i was a bit surprised as well to see the conkers on the trees at the start of july but thats probably just me not going out so much as i used to do..as far as autumn is concerned can we miss it and jump straight to winter..whatever thats supposed to be nowdays!!

Edited by EMids WeatherWatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Ah, autumn: My favourite season. Here are my predictions for autumn 2020:

September: Mostly settled with temps in the late teens to early 20s along with some cold nights. Starts to become unsettled towards the end of the month though (similar to last year).

October: A short lived warm spell around the beginning of the month. We also see the last 20 Celsius of the year at this point. Following this, the rest of the month will be low pressure dominated resulting in the first storm of the season.

November: The stormy weather during October continues into the first week of November. After this, an anticyclone will result in a few sunny, cold and crisp days which is when we will get our first ground frost of the season. From mid to the end of the month will be a bit of a mixed bag, with temperatures gradually continuing to drop as we head into December.

I love these kind of threads where we are to predict the weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Ah, autumn: My favourite season. Here are my predictions for autumn 2020:

September: Mostly settled with temps in the late teens to early 20s along with some cold nights. Starts to become unsettled towards the end of the month though (similar to last year).

October: A short lived warm spell around the beginning of the month. We also see the last 20 Celsius of the year at this point. Following this, the rest of the month will be low pressure dominated resulting in the first storm of the season.

November: The stormy weather during October continues into the first week of November. After this, an anticyclone will result in a few sunny, cold and crisp days which is when we will get our first ground frost of the season. From mid to the end of the month will be a bit of a mixed bag, with temperatures gradually continuing to drop as we head into December.

I love these kind of threads where we are to predict the weather. 

That could describe every autumn.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A repeat of Sep 17 would do. It's not a month when even cool months like 2015 stick in the memory but the sooner we cool the better.

A repeat of Oct 16 would again be ideal. Cool, foggy, sunny, frosty and great leaf changes. Some real cool shots like 12 or 17 would be ideal too.

A repeat of Nov 10 is the obvious ideal here but being more realistic both Nov 16 and Nov 05 were wonderfully sunny and frosty and cold feeling.

• Like 1