Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How would you assess summer 2015?

Harry233

Posted

A summer that a lot of people seem to think was the worst between 2013-2019. For me I’d definitely agree with it.

June was dry but was both cooler and duller than average, there was that brief warm spell at the end but it remained cloudy for me and was unpleasantly humid for me at night. Overall a 5/10.

July was the absolute pits that year, double the average rainfall and temperatures were well below average. July 2012 was actually 0.6.C warmer and that was the coldest July in my local area since about the mid 80’s. Aside from the first week which was actually quite pleasant it was constantly wet, windy and cloudy some notable flooding in my area as well. Overall a 2/10.

August did redeem itself somewhat and wasn’t actually too bad especially in the second half. It was a sunny month and was quite dry albeit not being especially warm that much but with a few very nice days spread out which brought a very good September to finish. Overall a 7/10.

Be interesting to hear everyone’s opinions as July seemed very bad in northern areas but not too bad in the south, whereas August the north seemed decent but the south was bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'd probably agree it was the worst of that period overall, although the other summers had worse individual months e.g. August 2014, June 2019 and the second half of July into August 2017.

As you say, June was very dry but also on the cool side, despite being a sunny month. The sunshine and freshness made it feel more like an extension of spring. July was definitely the worst month (the heatwave wasn't impressive here), with a lot of cloud! First half of August was actually decent with some great weather that coincided with the Balloon Fiesta, but of course the Atlantic ramped up later on in the month and the final third was very wet after a brief plume and thunderstorm on the 22nd. That set up for quite an enjoyable and changeable albeit cool September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

June was slightly warmer than average and dry, with near average sunshine.

July had average temperatures, but was wet and cloudy.

August was cool, extremely wet and extremely cloudy - just what we have come to expect from it.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I lived in the Pennines during that summer, and for that location, specifically, it was very poor apart from the first week of July overall. June was particularly cold in the first half though there were some sunny days. Most of July/August was Atlantic dominated and cool. The second half of July was atrocious, with a max of 12°C on 26th, and it didn't exceed 20°C from 11th-31st at all. August was very cloudy, with just 115 hours of sunshine recorded. One of the worst summers I've experienced. Then again I did live in a higher altitude part of the country, so the weather in my location, was worse than other previous bad summers when I lived elsewhere, as I explained in a different thread.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

I only really hated July from this summer and the last week of August was very poor too in Dublin. June was decent with good sunshine and largely dry. The main theme of the summer was the cool nature of it than a washout or notably dull here. Pretty forgettable all around really. Was much worse out west. April 2015 was our "summer".

Much prefer it over "Summer" 2020 so far anyway though the second half of 2015 was much worse.

Edited by BruenSryan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I have to agree with Weather History,all since 2010 to 2017 inclusive were classed in my 'Poor' category with the exception of 2013.2012 being worst by a margin but there was little to separate the rest here in the pennines.

Posted

Very forgettable summer but nowhere near as bad as 2012 (or this year!). It had its fair share of dry days but they were mostly cool. Seem to remember the weekend of the 22nd August being warm and thundery but the worst of it missed us. 

I spent 2 weeks of July in the Canary Islands so I missed the heat and thunder of early July. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I would say 2015, 2016 and 2017 were as bad as each other but they still were better than 2012. That was the worst summer I have experienced.

There were all pretty similar. 2016 was a lot drier though for me despite a wet June, August that year only had half the average rainfall. 2017 at least had a slight respite from constant wet weather in the second half of July.

Posted
9 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

I only really hated July from this summer and the last week of August was very poor too in Dublin. June was decent with good sunshine and largely dry. The main theme of the summer was the cool nature of it than a washout or notably dull here. Pretty forgettable all around really. Was much worse out west. April 2015 was our "summer".

Much prefer it over "Summer" 2020 so far anyway though the second half of 2015 was much worse.

April 2015 was a fantastic month, warm by day but cold at night it was my sunniest April on record and even 2007 and 2011 haven’t came close to beating it. The May that followed was abysmal.

Posted

Disappointing. Characterised by frequent rainfall, blustery winds and cool nights. May deserves a special mention leading into the summer because it was dominated by frequent cold northwesterlies, washout days and a dearth of warmth (highest temperature all month in Liverpool was 17C). Even the brief heatwave at the beginning of July was a failure - just one big sheet of cloud.

The Atlantic pretty much put a crimp on that summer. It was made all the more galling given that places like Germany had prolonged heat (it was a very hot summer in my current location). 

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
11 hours ago, Harry233 said:

April 2015 was a fantastic month, warm by day but cold at night it was my sunniest April on record and even 2007 and 2011 haven’t came close to beating it. The May that followed was abysmal.

I did prefer April 2015 over April 2020 though the latter was still a great month, just not quite as sunny here in Ireland in contrast to UK. I'd rather erase May 2015 from memory.. I would think we're due such a May soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
6 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

I did prefer April 2015 over April 2020 though the latter was still a great month, just not quite as sunny here in Ireland in contrast to UK. I'd rather erase May 2015 from memory.. I would think we're due such a May soon.

Yes I was recently thinking that we have not had a terrible May for ages, but this certainly came close (as did 2013).

Anyway, 2015 I would say was indeed the worst one of the summers so far since 2012, although it was worse in the 2nd half whereas 2012 was the other way round.  Both Friday 24th and sunday 26th July were diabolical, wetter than many days in summer 2012 or 2007.

I think you do have to give it credit for holding the July record while it did.. but that's about it.  June had a few warm days, but many cool ones too.  There was a warm weekend in august 8/9th, and a hot day with distant lightning on 22nd.  August was the best month of this very mediocre summer

Posted

Summer 2015 was pretty average really, apart from the heatwave at the end of June/beginning of July.  Not bad overall but not one you will really remember, particularly these days.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

one of the three summers i spent in the UK..14,15,16.

I don't remember 2015 being bad..apart from that 3 day hot spell that peaked July 1st there wasn't much hot weather on offer..which suited me fine..i don't remember it being wet though either.. was August cool and extremely wet as suggested?

Posted
On 13/07/2020 at 17:38, cheeky_monkey said:

I don't remember 2015 being bad..apart from that 3 day hot spell that peaked July 1st there wasn't much hot weather on offer..which suited me fine..i don't remember it being wet though either.. was August cool and extremely wet as suggested?

This was August in London. Cool, extremely wet and extremely cloudy.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station...

Posted
On 13/07/2020 at 17:38, cheeky_monkey said:

July was very wet in the north but was drier further south whereas August was very wet in the south and extremely wet on the south coast but it was quite dry in the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 14/07/2020 at 17:45, B87 said:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station...

Looks like the worst of it was the 22nd onwards. Not horrendous before then, albeit still a bit disappointing. Just as I thought.

Posted

Most of those mid 2010s summers were forgettable in my opinion.

The ones that stand out in the 2010s for me are 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 and 2018. 

All the other ones are consigned to the dustbin, because they were either non-eventful or just plain boring. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 14/07/2020 at 10:45, B87 said:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

if you take out the 26th which was very wet with 50mm of rain it was pretty average month..drier and warmer than the 2014 

Posted
20 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

if you take out the 26th which was very wet with 50mm of rain it was pretty average month..drier and warmer than the 2014 

Average temps were 1c below normal, and the sunshine was shocking - 134 hours. If you take out the 48mm on 26th you'd still end up with around 70mm, which is still wet when the average is around 45-50mm.

2014 was also a bad August.

Edited by B87

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
On 10/07/2020 at 12:37, B87 said:

June was slightly warmer than average and dry, with near average sunshine.

July had average temperatures, but was wet and cloudy.

August was cool, extremely wet and extremely cloudy - just what we have come to expect from it.

I have slightly different memories of it (seems we are both in London too). August was pretty cool and non-descript overall, barring a brief hot spell around the 22nd when it got above 30c, however there was a period from mid June to mid July that was really nice down here in London at least. Between 11th June and 21st July we had 15 days where the temperature was at or above 25c, with plenty of sunshine. It peaked on 1st July when we got to 37c. 

Edited by danm

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

I have slightly different memories of it (seems we are both in London too). August was pretty cool and non-descript overall, barring a brief hot spell around the 22nd when it got above 30c, however there was a period from mid June to mid July that was really nice down here in London at least. Between 11th June and 21st July we had 15 days where the temperature was at or above 25c, with plenty of sunshine. It peaked on 1st July when we got to 37c. 

There are decent spells of weather even in bad summers, but the typical summer here should see about 30 days above 25c. It wasn't a good summer just because it had a 2 week spell of 25c.

Posted

Probably the only summer I'd rate 'poor' overall from 2013-2019 here.

June was alright. Slightly sunnier than average.

July was slightly cooler, duller, and wetter than average.

August was cooler, dull and very wet, with just 3 days exceeding 22C (two reached 24C) and 155mm of rain.

It's also the only summer in my records (2008-present) to not reach 25C here, more surprising considering the then July record going at Heathrow!
Highest was 24.7C on the 30th June. Cloud, onshore breeze, and the plume shifting east of here meant the 1st July reached 24.5C.

It was 23.8C around 3am though.. and a station just up the road/hill from me recorded its highest temperature of the entire year at 3am!!! :blink2: