Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Comet NEOWISE C/2020 F3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
9 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Well we finally got some clear weather at last.

I ended up going back down to the quay, and also took my 9 year old daughter with me, as she really wanted to come out with me when I last ventured out earlier in the week, and was very upset when I told her it would be too late for her to stay up.

Well, tonight I had one very happy little comet enthusiast! I thought what the hell, how often do we get to see something like this.

20200716215733_IMG_7299-01-01.thumb.jpeg.99329c5e10438cd09bfe2036674a0b40.jpeg20200716221446_IMG_7310-01.thumb.jpeg.8415824750513775c0c780585a41abda.jpeg

Lovely!

And nice to see that it was still nice and bright last night. Bodes well for the *hopefully* clear skies here tonight. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
14 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Lovely!

And nice to see that it was still nice and bright last night. Bodes well for the *hopefully* clear skies here tonight. 

Yeah, it's still visible but it was definitely more difficult to spot than just a few days ago, but that could also be down to atmospherics, as it was very clear the last time I went out, so who know.

The camera really dose a good job of picking up the the comet, my daughter was happy, but I think she was expecting something a bit more spectacular to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
49 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

Yeah, it's still visible but it was definitely more difficult to spot than just a few days ago, but that could also be down to atmospherics, as it was very clear the last time I went out, so who know.

The camera really dose a good job of picking up the the comet, my daughter was happy, but I think she was expecting something a bit more spectacular to be honest.

She would have loved Hale Bopp in '97! I was only 9, but I have fond memories of how clear and bright it was just after sunset.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Heavens' Above have added the comet to their live sky view.

Might help a few of you out if you have any trouble trying to spot it with cloud n such.

Looks to be at 13.9° in the NNW at 11:30 pm & 10.2° in the N at 00:30.

image.thumb.png.3e855d58085642304fc996cfad985d73.pngimage.thumb.png.31c4467c707435ee2e1f199ed0c54969.pngimage.thumb.png.577503eabe96f2f1ff04ada4121c8a1f.png

Edited by Jamiee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted

image.thumb.png.c63ddfeab31a70061f2e574bbc0dcc85.png

Neowise has been visible since about 22:20 to my camera and becoming faintly visible to my eye now.

Edited by Jamiee
  • Like 4

Posted

COMET INFO FOR TONIGHT:

22:30

21.1° NW

image.thumb.png.150207aaff26add9eb78d461dfaaa7d5.png

23:30

16.0° NNW

image.thumb.png.1f9a7b6b1ebab691ec6ddd762597b1d3.png

00:30

11.7° NNW

image.thumb.png.4aa09181cc705be13ea54c22f37ace56.png

01:30

9.8° N

image.thumb.png.d42d40be116904c368d64d2de7869d77.png

02:30

9.6° N

image.thumb.png.d444b2d6094bcc659e791e17b04762b7.png

• Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well that was a let down. I though it was supposed to be its brightest on the 23rd... but was practically invisible to the naked eye. 

Last Saturday it was clearly seen...

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

well that was a let down. I though it was supposed to be its brightest on the 23rd... but was practically invisible to the naked eye. 

Last Saturday it was clearly seen...

No, it was always going to be brightest closest to perihelion, it was a question how much dimming there would be as it moved away from the Sun and came closer to Earth.

• Like 2

Posted

First time I've probably stayed up to look for it when it's clear. Can see it with my naked eye and it looks good through my binoculars. Seems I may have missed it looking better though..

Also have just discovered I can make out 4 of Jupiter's moons through my binoculars!

• Like 3

Posted

image.thumb.png.be10ab9d101fce83b6d352a8f3dcdd04.png

Long old tail now. Gonna try and milk the comet being visible for as long as possible before it fades rapidly after the 23rd.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

No, it was always going to be brightest closest to perihelion, it was a question how much dimming there would be as it moved away from the Sun and came closer to Earth.

Fair comment but thats not what i read

Posted
5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Fair comment but thats not what i read

I saw it with the naked eye and it looks good through binoculars. So for anyone with a bit of astronomical interest, it is still a good object

Faintly caught it on overnight timelapse, I was surprised by

• Like 2

Posted

The difference in magnitude is more obvious from last night than it was last week as it took until around 11:30pm to finally see it naked-eye here and even then it was diffuse and needed averted vision. Unless it unexpectedly flares I think last night would have been our last proper view of Neowise without requiring long-exposure shutter cameras before it's forecast to drop further to around magnitude 3-4 on the 23rd. Its been great seeing this unexpected sight in the summer skies especially after the last 3 which were promising failed to deliver, and hopefully it's not too long before the next one.

2458.thumb.JPG.a5c25e9ea2ddee181b62478619c60eec.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I saw it with the naked eye and it looks good through binoculars. So for anyone with a bit of astronomical interest, it is still a good object

Faintly caught it on overnight timelapse, I was surprised by

Yes i agree... i was just disappointed that since last weekend (cloudy all week here) it had faded so much. At least i saw it last weekend and got some good pics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
10 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Absolutely right!

The first time a saw it was around the 6th of July, and it was visible even though the sun was almost up!

Yes it has faded by quite a large amount, but if you can get yourself to a dark area, you should still be able to see it.

From my point of view I feel that the comet is far more photogenic against true dark sky, and is definitely in the long exposure category now.

Here are a few more from last night, much better evening than Friday weather wise, as the mist was soaking my camera

IMG_5846-01.jpeg

IMG_5853-01.jpeg

IMG_5852-01.jpeg

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Quick 21 frame gif of the comet from last night. 

output_moNv2K.thumb.gif.01be61f1312c824ca9cca5bbaf8e1bca.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

I’m at a friends tonight who’s got a pretty neat telescope that’s good enough to show Saturn’s rings so looking forward to that. He lives in the sticks so it’s darker than where I am. First saw Neowise on Saturday evening as up until then it had been annoyingly cloudy (always is when something like this happens). Managed to get a decent view of it even on my old 8 c 40 binoculars. Faded obviously last night so hoping get a last chance tonight to see on a decent scope. Still no Halle Bopp though but that’s me being greedy lol

• Like 3