Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into July 2020

Paul

Posted
13 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yep, Tuesday far away in the distance at the moment. Subject to many changes yet.

Agreed, but at least there is more of a consensus about the next 4-5 days. The models are now much more in line.

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS12z a tad more progressive than yesterday in that while still warm next Wednesday, the real heat has gone. Slowly but surely the fiery hell of a few days ago has been squeezed (Fri-Tues now).

spacer.png 

Posted

Pretty underwhelming arpege 12z for friday for us in the midlands!!27 or 28 degrees widely which is still very warm but i expected hotter!!i will take the ukv shows 30 31 degrees and heat further north and west!!!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

GFS12z a tad more progressive than yesterday in that while still warm next Wednesday, the real heat has gone. Slowly but surely the fiery hell of a few days ago has been squeezed (Fri-Tues now).

spacer.png 

The op is one of the more progressive options on the 12z suite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Just had a chance to browse that run...incredible chart.

F1DE9287-16A2-49DE-8D15-F492F50DAB9B.thumb.gif.2a51fd5bbeae58cfeb12cf7b98079f96.gif

Between the chart you posted and this one above I thought that’s at least high twenties for me...had a quick look at the Met Office automated for that date. (Tuesday) 

I am not having that...

79D2F455-D3D7-4E0A-8C96-460A6D99A6C9.thumb.jpeg.781960c95002af8aa0bf92235941bcf9.jpeg

I have a sneaky feeling that Met Office run might change in the morning...(Scotland at least)

Would be fantastic though if it did not!

First run of 30C days starting tomorrow through to Sunday (probably beyond!) down South?

It is going to be a close one as it does look a bit cloudy/wee bit of drizzle in the morning.
Snapshot of tomorrow - 16:00.

29C.

AA7CEF85-F876-4817-A031-83754AC3D4E2.thumb.png.c8b3d73cacaf9c5f4f7acd7906efb7c5.png

You may well mock, Mr F, you may well mock...But, up in The Glen (Glenurquhart) we saw 30C+ in both August '95 and '97! 

I will now slither back under my rock!:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

spacer.png 

To be fair, it wasn't that long ago the GFS had the heat totally gone by Saturday morning.

If anything over the past couple of days the length has been drastically increased in terms of how long the heat is going to hang around, at least in the SE.

• Like 5

Absolutely lashing it down while blowing a hoolie here, can see blue sky both east and west. This better not happen tomorrow but I fear Will looking at the output tonight!! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Zak M said:

12z UKMO shows 16c isotherm reaching Scotland, that's pretty hot. 35c+ I reckon somewhere in the south.

636122236_UW144-7(1).thumb.gif.a4985e9397512603f1ed233fe0ed456b.gif

@144

Im hoping we get the heat in Wrexham!  GFS showing feels like of 33 on Friday and only 19 on Saturday while London gets 35-36. Even Cardiff gets 26-27 on Saturday! its not fair!  Either way it feels more than the 18 degrees showing on my thermoter! very humid and warm this evening up in Wales. 

Edited by NApplewhite
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Gfs ensembles want to keep the heat going a little longer than the op

ens_image - 2020-08-05T181255.977.png

Can't complain (down here at least) with the mean upper air remaining above 10°C into the long range.

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

To be fair, it wasn't that long ago the GFS had the heat totally gone by Saturday morning.

If anything over the past couple of days the length has been drastically increased in terms of how long the heat is going to hang around, at least in the SE.

Last Sunday we were looking at blowtorch temps in Wrexham of 30 degrees for 3-4 days now we might squeeze out 1 day. The GFS has messed up again!  I hate progressive charts! 

Posted
11 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Pretty underwhelming arpege 12z for friday for us in the midlands!!27 or 28 degrees widely which is still very warm but i expected hotter!!i will take the ukv shows 30 31 degrees and heat further north and west!!!

Underwhelming for here in NW Wales too... 20C. (and NW UK) Not sure if the setup is right for NW areas. Need a stronger SEerly wind I guess to create a foehn effect?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Gfs ensembles want to keep the heat going a little longer than the op

ens_image - 2020-08-05T181255.977.png

I have seen a lot of GFS ensembles in my time, that I think is one of the most extraordinary since the age of the internet weather forums begun.... 

Posted
Just now, NApplewhite said:

Last Sunday we were looking at blowtorch temps in Wrexham of 30 degrees for 3-4 days now we might squeeze out 1 day. The GFS has messed up again!  I hate progressive charts! 

Unfortunately what has happened is the north (even parts of Midlands) have indeed seen the worst of the heat squeezed out. IF we import a SE again then you'd see that heat come back in say on Monday/Tuesday. Something to watch for.

Meanwhile the SE keeps that heat the whole time and then it really comes down to the exact wind direction at the very lowest levels of the atmosphere as to how high surface temperatures go.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For those up In Scotland you will be glad to know gfs was a big cold outlier 

ens_image - 2020-08-05T181846.204.png

image.thumb.png.0903ff7c67cec94c04600c5a21bafd4c.pngLondon showing 40 degrees on Monday.  What is the exact town or city that hangs onto the imported SE heat? Ie where does the heat end in England?  Looks like im only 161 miles from the heatwave! we just get one warm day. 

Edited by NApplewhite
Update

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, NApplewhite said:

image.thumb.png.0903ff7c67cec94c04600c5a21bafd4c.pngLondon showing 40 degrees on Monday. 

Overnight minima of 26c?! Pretty impressive that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Overnight minima of 26c?! Pretty impressive that!

Those are feels like temperatures though, not actual

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, mb018538 said:

Those are feels like temperatures though, not actual

And I have embarrassed myself once again :olddoh:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

And I have embarrassed myself once again :olddoh:

In fairness, Netweather ‘feels like’ forecasts was 38C for last Friday in London and we got up to 37.8C at Heathrow. I like to take my own blend of the models (that often slightly undercook raw temps) and the feels like forecast (that often slightly overcooks them). Going by that method we’d be looking at 37-38C I think. Maybe 39C if somewhere stays cloud-free. 
That’s just my makeshift method! 

• Like 3