Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into July 2020

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The upside at least is that pressure is pretty high over the weekend so humidity should be lower. The easterly off the sea should also make it feel cooler away from the south so probably only Tuesday will feel really bad on the Euro here. Also more storm chances monday-wednesday as pressure falls a bit.

• Like 3

Posted

I've just seen this thread - is there really a chance of the record being challenged? Not seeing any of these models translate into weather forecasts

Edited by qwertyK
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, qwertyK said:

I've just seen this thread - is there really a chance of the record being challenged? Not seeing any of these models translate into weather forecasts

Only a slim chance in the ‘reliable’ timeframe. Likely to be some noteworthy temperatures anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Only a slim chance in the ‘reliable’ timeframe. Likely to be some noteworthy temperatures anyway.

I can see 38C max but it seems liek it will just be a few days of prolonged 30C heat rather than a sudden spike and things go back to normal. Northolt and Heathrow have just two days of 30C/+30C heat now. 

Edited by qwertyK

Posted

The ECM ensembles provide hot possibilities, particularly here on the south coast, but they are in general a bit more sane after Sunday.

The main picture - getting hotter and hotter until Saturday, some sort of cooldown on Sunday, and an attempt to reheat early next week. It must be stressed that the Sunday cooldown could be more drastic than on the op run, and very few runs reheat to the extent the op run does. So while the pattern looks well defined, the temperatures are far from decided post-Saturday.

However, one surprise - there are a lot of ensembles that are actually hotter than the op for Friday and Saturday.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

The ECM ensembles provide hot possibilities, particularly here on the south coast, but they are in general a bit more sane after Sunday.

The main picture - getting hotter and hotter until Saturday, some sort of cooldown on Sunday, and an attempt to reheat early next week. It must be stressed that the Sunday cooldown could be more drastic than on the op run, and very few runs reheat to the extent the op run does. So while the pattern looks well defined, the temperatures are far from decided post-Saturday.

However, one surprise - there are a lot of ensembles that are actually hotter than the op for Friday and Saturday.

Doesn't surprise me about Friday, the ECM has a relatively cloudy day on Thursday like Arprge and that does limit what can be done the day after, especially as it's not quite as extreme airflow as last Friday.

As per normal, the middle ground is most likely the answer, with the closet to the south you are the better the chance of 

A: keeping the heat

Or

B: retapping into it if it does depart.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

^^ speaking of a cool down latest wrf nmm eu has 2C 850 hpa into Scotland and the 0C 850 hpa into the western isles on Saturday 40D8C04D-7542-4208-AADF-A73449846F3B.thumb.png.c41810353a53cc17bf0c7b5f13395603.png

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

^^ speaking of a cool down latest wrf nmm eu has 2C 850 hpa into Scotland and the 0C 850 hpa into the western isles on Saturday 40D8C04D-7542-4208-AADF-A73449846F3B.thumb.png.c41810353a53cc17bf0c7b5f13395603.png

Looking noticebaly cooler in the south too compared to other models

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 minute ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

my god that model is sick in the head

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Pretty sure that model uses GFS data.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, qwertyK said:

The UKV isn't to be sniffed at..

viewimage.thumb.png.c903c44a148f83b954c75dedbff728c5.png

• Like 8

Just now, qwertyK said:

Its in the GFS camp, just a few hours slower in clearing the heat. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

So any max temp could actually be outside of London this time, makes a change I guess, looks like Kent will be hotter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Mapantz said:

Warmest temperatures on or near the south coast. Presume the flow is more E or NE on there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Warmest temperatures on or near the south coast. Presume the flow is more E or NE on there?

Northerly for much of the South. An offshore wind in that set up, Southern coastal areas would see some pretty high temps if it panned out like that. Might even break my max record!

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I doubt If Kent would be so hot if that  were the case.

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 1

Too much excitement for me this evening, sleep needed as lots of swim shorts to buy in the morning if the output still remotely resembles this evenings ECM, GEM & ICON. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Djdazzle said:

I doubt If Kent would be so hot if that was the case.

Yes as @Mapantz posted it's a northerly so no onshore winds 

image.thumb.png.e4a6f6be91190fd3bb92f7c0c49b5c5a.png

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

NMM is just a mesoscale model that uses GFS data.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
17 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

NMM is just a mesoscale model that uses GFS data.

Would I be right in saying that the GFS was left with egg on its face for July last year at a similar time frame? I’m sure there was a farce on the lead up to it. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Indeed it is a outlier 

london_ecmsd850 (13).png

1 hour ago, Ice Day said:

.... and it is a warm outlier for days 6-9.  Still looking ruddy hot though!

image.thumb.png.60ac8fa25d465491f91dbeb5cf535bb0.png

Edit - Daniel beat me to it!

Has the mean been trending upwards over the last couple of days? 

Someone more knowledgeable than myself will post the anomaly charts... All shall become a little clearer. 

(This place needs an algorithm just to decipher between all the excitement and catastrophes of potential upgrades and downgrades, whilst we hang on individual runs... Myself included) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Regardless of the outcome the past couple of days have been brilliant for model watching.  Big thanks to all keeping us informed with the latest developments!

• Like 7