Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into July 2020

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
38 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Bank! Keep posting these Mark as it is always nice to dream! 

Really glad the last day of July brought that exceptionally hot day - something to discuss in the future when we look back on an otherwise very bland Summer month. (Against the 1981-2010 Anomaly)

6BF94C9B-816C-4FAA-8553-8D804BF8F764.thumb.png.9deb66a70d1e86a8697950430f1bd816.png98668B3D-BBBE-41A2-908C-8C744D13E14C.thumb.png.c666026403bfcaaf7b4728ed1632acea.png34081F46-1C50-48E2-8707-4473AA6384C3.thumb.png.5b0f7c75a4f2bd1103b8fc7270c09624.png

B644A9D2-6F76-4DBD-9824-B6CE892FAAD4.thumb.gif.3e62aaeae0e06e271cf4aa0745408395.gif

First below average month of the year for the UK as a whole...December the next one!? :santa-emoji:

What's even more remarkable is that if it weren't for last years record heat on the 25th July, last Friday would have been the hottest July day on record!  Almost a back-to-front July 2015.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

hgt300.png hgt300.png

Keeping an eye on that tail of jet steam by the Azores islands, after that JMA 12z of yesterday which made more of it, resulting in a re-orientation of the high pressure compared to other models that set up an E'rly to ESE'rly flow rather than NE'rly.

Not actually expecting that to happen as it's only one model that's gone for it in the past 18 hours, but keeping my mind open to it. A wildcard, you might say!

• Like 2

Posted

hgt300.png hgt300.png

Much complexity can be seen when focusing on these upper-level charts.

Big questions:

How fast does the sharp trough lift out to the north? This is something GFS has generally been slower with - but not so much in this latest run.

To what extent does the shallow cut-off trough to the west of Europe influence the layout - will it orientate the ridge more toward an easterly flow for England this weekend, as opposed to north-easterly?

• Like 5

Posted

Latest gfs if you add on the usual 2 or 3 degrees has 36 both Friday and Saturday, in the south east, like Steve m said last night dry air from France Spain it may even go a little higher than that 

• Like 3

Posted

As mentioned above, the GFS 06Z follows the EUROs for Saturday by making a lot less of the wave to the north - hot in the south again with mid 30s possible both Friday/Saturday, though still cooler and showery in the north on Saturday (I still think there's time for that to change).

However, the GFS is never keen on keeping things simple and finds a blob of rain to stick over England for Sunday - for comparison, the ECM has mostly clear skies over central areas on that day!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 7

Posted

What is it with GFS and finding additional rainmakers on the periphery of hot airmasses?  In this case it actually took the shallow low I was monitoring west of Europe and started hurtling it toward southern England despite hardly any upper level westerly flow to support that.

Such a shame, as it was heading in an interesting direction before then.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I don't understand why temperatures need to be blast furnace level for people to feel satisfied. Mid 20s and settled is perfectly acceptable and useable.

My guess is a lot of us on here are weather enthusiasts and like to see records broken? Plus some actually like the furnace heat. 

• Like 4

Synoptically GFS is better however its temps in the south are skewed Sunday/Monday by the continuous cloud and rain its magically creates..... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

image.thumb.png.65698a3aebab5b53fbd6d259f2868dda.png

GFS 6z for Sunday, of course erroneous precipitation over the south. What's with the models are overdoing any *potential* rain, I can remember UKV (I think) reckoned convective showers over the south for last Friday and it only had maxima of 20°C~ when it factored in the ppn that it sprung up.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
8 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

image.thumb.png.65698a3aebab5b53fbd6d259f2868dda.png

GFS 6z for Sunday, of course erroneous precipitation over the south. What's with the models are overdoing any *potential* rain, I can remember UKV (I think) reckoned convective showers over the south for last Friday and it only had maxima of 20°C~ when it factored in the ppn that it sprung up.

Yes the UKV showed widespread thunderstorms in the south on Thursday mornings runs but by the end of the day that had completely disappeared and of course come Friday nothing happened at all on the south. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Yes the UKV showed widespread thunderstorms in the south on Thursday mornings runs but by the end of the day that had completely disappeared and of course come Friday nothing happened at all on the south. 

Well that's not entirely true, on Friday very weak convective activity spread into the central south, just enough to get a few drops out, temps fell very quickly places like Bournemouth and was only 22c by the middle of the afternoon as the cloud completely supressed (this wasn't cold front related), Southampton just up the road was at nearly 30C at the same time. We don't big storms to ruin the day just some heavy cloud cover..... 

Posted
45 minutes ago, Singularity said:

What is it with GFS and finding additional rainmakers on the periphery of hot airmasses?  In this case it actually took the shallow low I was monitoring west of Europe and started hurtling it toward southern England despite hardly any upper level westerly flow to support that.

Such a shame, as it was heading in an interesting direction before then.

Could well end up being a convective feedback issue, its certainly a problem with the GFS in the past in more tropical type airmasses and being a little overzealous with the instability actually present. It looks like it creates a decent thermal low which again maybe quite questionable to what extent that actually happens.

Friday IMO probably is another 34-36C type day, of course IF we keep the flow going on Saturday and the uppers hold long enough, we will be in a position on Saturday in the SE to get somewhere close to the 37-38c we saw last week and also August 10th 2003. 

Regardless of what happens, I'd suspect the usual upgrading in temperatures to occur as we move closer to the time, and the current forecasts maxes of 31-32c to slowly shift upwards as the week rolls on. 

I'd be surprised if somewhere doesn't at least get to 35c given the time of year, flow over a now more reasonable temperature channel and also heat over Europe.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
28 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Well that's not entirely true, on Friday very weak convective activity spread into the central south, just enough to get a few drops out, temps fell very quickly places like Bournemouth and was only 22c by the middle of the afternoon as the cloud completely supressed (this wasn't cold front related), Southampton just up the road was at nearly 30C at the same time. We don't big storms to ruin the day just some heavy cloud cover..... 

When it comes to models/charts forecasting thunderstorms in advance for the UK...it is always best to just look out the window/radar on the actual day. They are absolutely useless nine times out of ten! 

Friday was a close call for the SE - thunderstorms just off the coast. (Thanks to @staplehurst from Convective weather)

3BE01AA6-333C-416D-A6D3-C5F882CC3C36.thumb.png.7ca7ca50460448bca83a3c55ab0ff22a.png

July was a pretty poor month in general.

5CCA50EE-B7DC-4E97-8774-07B2F114D66E.thumb.gif.eb4fa81f3b4997a925edb342178a664c.gif

There is a recurring theme this Summer of SE England hogging all the warmth/heat...only for the storms to break out everywhere else! SW Scotland and NW England (June) for example which is quite bizarre.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 9

Posted
15 minutes ago, Zak M said:

MetO showing 37c on their graphics on Friday.

These will also most likely upgrade nearer the time. 

Saturday looks potentially even hotter on the computer model suite to me.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Saturday looks potentially even hotter on the computer model suite to me.

Maybe they’ve taken note from last Friday, and expect the airmass to be super-heated as it as a week ago. 37c a week after 38c is mental.

• Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Maybe they’ve taken note from last Friday, and expect the airmass to be super-heated as it as a week ago. 37c a week after 38c is mental.

Maybe this time they will be too high with the prediction? I remember they went for a 37C day in 2018 which ended up several degrees lower.

I wouldn't rule it out by any means, even though the uppers are slightly lower than last week.

I think that Saturday also has the potential to be very hot. Sunday could also be hot if less is made of that pesky wave!

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the models are underplaying the temps.Met office going for 37c fri now,which is higher than yesterday’s forecast high.

Maybe 38c be reached again and perhaps highest temp record be broken,let’s hope this winter we are looking at records being broken the other way,as if..

• Like 1