Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into July 2020

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes I totally agree with this, the GEM 0z was about the bounds of the envelope of current model runs, but this is over a week away at the moment, there is a significant chance of a westwards correction, and it is well worth watching on the models over the next few days, the models might have it properly nailed by Monday, maybe?  

Yep, the deep low that sets up this wave break doesn’t even exist yet, and the models have it moving quite rapidly across the Atlantic and past the UK. It may get held up more than shown. It’s still 8 days away, so outside of the reliable frame. It probably won’t become clear until through the weekend.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Good job Nick Sussex is not on here, he'd be referring to this as 'Plumegate'!  It's a short lived affair at the moment, however, it will be interesting to see if the pattern shifts north and west as advertised by Steve M.  

The 240 looks like it's *perhaps* lining up another shot with the low filling in to the north. 

image.thumb.png.752aad9c590fc826bd08e4806456275c.png 

Still, all academic at this range but reasons to be cheerful.

• Like 4

Posted

Well, even if this plume doesn’t materialise, at least we have something to discuss other than the total borefest charts of recent times!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Great Trend this evening , Navgem isn’t as good  as the ecm that’s for sure .

ABC0E208-1D9C-4AE2-BC10-7637396A189B.png

C11F300A-4D11-4A3F-A245-F0E5EC8C64D9.png

• Like 2

Posted
On 21/07/2020 at 19:25, JON SNOW said:

Something a bit more interesting from the models today - longer term, compared to what we've endured for 4 weeks now - signs of a possible break from the atlantic, low pressure stalling out to the west allowing a draw of southerly air from the south and ridge development - is this a trend, or a one day here, gone the next. ECM output looks very good for start of August if you want something warm at least, not sure how stable the airstream would be though, could be quite thundery - liking the signs of heights building to the west as well, with low pressure far to our NW, if only.. 

Would be good to see a few days at least of warm dry sunny weather.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks for all the updates, peeps... I'm really rather hopeful of seeing further improvements, in terms of 'plumeworthiness', on the overnight runs!:yahoo:

• Like 6

Posted

ECM 12z is quite interesting plays with extreme heat 35C in nearby Benelux. 

AF0ADD3B-1186-4DB0-9A94-AB2757239C8D.thumb.png.790b75ada53541a3613fea7e1a3f7c83.png3DC2FBE0-084D-4105-B3A6-56A21B8D2896.thumb.png.9fbf9d2859a9ae2134fd1b1dff53b9b4.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

ECM 12z is quite interesting plays with extreme heat 35C in nearby Benelux. 

AF0ADD3B-1186-4DB0-9A94-AB2757239C8D.thumb.png.790b75ada53541a3613fea7e1a3f7c83.png3DC2FBE0-084D-4105-B3A6-56A21B8D2896.thumb.png.9fbf9d2859a9ae2134fd1b1dff53b9b4.png

Yes, and there is plenty of time still to nudge that scenario westwards....watch this space.  ECM mean T192, doesn’t really tell us much, need to wait for the clusters, but the plume scenario looks to be in the mix:

96CFB048-B5B3-4DFC-B4B5-D9281358F782.thumb.gif.8c372a44f48a3c827ae25b06cceb0884.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.gif.51c79384244dd105adacec5ec1f31a1d.gif

When there’s this much uncertainty at day 6, you can’t have confidence beyond. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

So that is the low that is pushing the high over us, and then providing the potential plume event. It is uncertain, and from the charts at T144 I have posted, GEM and ECM are more confident that this will impact us, GFS not at all, so may need another couple of runs to narrow this down, but these are still the most interesting model runs during high summer.....

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Am I missing something a small region in North Atlantic? Perhaps a low may end heat quickly but I think it’s a decent mean for a big warm up while probable brief and more SE centric as normal. T192 has 12C isotherm touching south coast. I’m praying we don’t see 30°C on the last day of July, on course to be first without since 2011 stats like this don’t come very often nowadays so it makes for a refreshing change.

53DE59EF-4CF2-45AC-A235-AB2932E6377A.thumb.gif.b0aa32ccb660e2496aac555dd3124f8c.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Those CFS monthly temp anomalies once more show not one of the next 8 months being warmer than average across all of the UK- a cool September a particularly cold October a very cold December and an extremely cold January on this latest run! All other months slightly cooler or average. Seems a consistent signal

Screenshot_20200723-210816_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200723-210822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200723-210831_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200723-210835_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 9

ECM @192hrs looks good with a broad area of 20c isotherm through France then it all get blasted away quickly by 216 all to rapidly. A Westward correct and delay by a further 24hrs - jackpot and 30-35c on the last day of the month, it’s pretty dry down so would take much in a southerly to get decent maxes out of 16-20c uppers. Any eastwards correction and it’s teens to low 20s all the all way. Given the orientation of the jet this profile would need massive modification for much more of a westward correction unlikely, but could happen I guess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

twc_globe_mjo_vp200.png

Quite a lot of change over the Pacific is forecast for the next fortnight. Our increased likelihood of seeing some heat and potential thundery breakdowns is connected to that.

I think we could see quite a bit more evolution to next week's outlook. I don't even consider the path of the Mon-Tue low to be sorted yet - it could be further north and west. Though I realise, probably not by enough for most to appreciate it!

More room for substantial developments later in the week. No telling quite how that will affect the potential plume (coverage, speed of arrival, peak intensity...).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Hold ya horses there folks.. The EC46 is not really on board with this plume.. Conditions look better around mid week through til Friday.. Warm in the SE.. no great shakes elsewhere, and conditions deteriorate come next Weekend with cooler showery conditions being flagged up. 

Low Pressure to the NW come next weekend and into the following week are the current call, the flow again is of a largely cool orientation.. Will update further as the run progresses. 

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, MATT☀️ said:

Hold ya horses there folks.. The EC46 is not really on board with this plume.. Conditions look better around mid week through til Friday.. Warm in the SE.. no great shakes elsewhere, and conditions deteriorate come next Weekend with cooler showery conditions being flagged up. 

Not too worried about this yet. Still a week away, and the EC46 have been as dire at that range as virtually all other output.

Let’s see what tomorrow’s runs bring.

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Not too worried about this yet. Still a week away, and the EC46 have been as dire at that range as virtually all other output.

Let’s see what tomorrow’s runs bring.

The 46 has been rock solid with its predictions of a broad Wstly flow, and the Azores High restricted to the SW all Summer.. And I'm just bringing the latest guidance for the members who don't have access.. But regarding overall consistency, the 46 and those NOAA  charts have been streets ahead of the other models. 

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

The 46 has been rock solid with its predictions of a broad Wstly flow, and the Azores High restricted to the SW all Summer.. And I'm just bringing the latest guidance for the members who don't have access.. But regarding overall consistency, the 46 and those NOAA  charts have been streets ahead of the other models. 

I’m sure at some point the EC46 were backing more settled and warmer conditions for the U.K. - may have been around or just before mid-June. Maybe I’m a little scarred by their epic failure a couple of winters ago.

Even with a broad westerly flow, surely brief but intense plumes can still occur?

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I’m sure at some point the EC46 were backing more settled and warmer conditions for the U.K. - may have been around or just before mid-June. Maybe I’m a little scarred by their epic failure a couple of winters ago.

Even with a broad westerly flow, surely brief but intense plumes can still occur?

Yes mate they can, I won't dispute that. My main point was the 46 as never been on board for any sustained ridging so far this Summer, and in that respect its been close to the mark.. Your correct in saying how it failed in that 2018 Winter, but tbh I think Glosea and other models did also. Perhaps the Spanish model come closest with its idea of the Azores High ruining our Winter. Just looked a little further towards mid month and it seems to be following the met office script of changeable, before some signs of a settling down towards the middle part of the month.. But like you say we can't be sure of these outcomes as they can go quite astray at times. Nothing would please me more than a cracking end to Summer,and while there is time.. There is hope.

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 6

Posted

I think the main danger from the parallel GFS 18z at T234 in the eastern part of the UK would be large number 8’s and 12’s falling from the sky, you’d know if one hit you.

17019066-B106-45D1-A9B3-6E932C8A9B92.thumb.png.0e26c33b9a8602ab2e02b26e874d2a2e.png

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Sorry Mike, just woke up.

Are those 8's and 12's, shoe or bowling ball sizes ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GFS 00Z is screaming potential, for next Friday evening... yes, I know!:oldlaugh:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

And then, it's just screaming!

Ooh er, missus:

He haw hee haw...Come on... it's better than endless flat westerlies!:oldgood:

And, there's something of the 'tart's (sorry 'sex worker''s) knickers' about the GEFS 00Z ensembles::oops:

t850Suffolk.png    prmslSuffolk.png

t2mSuffolk.png    prcpSuffolk.png

NH profiles:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-102.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

• Like 7