Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013. A great summer?

Summer18

Posted

The recent hot spell has got me thinking about previous hot summer weather and it led me to summer 2013.

7 years ago now since this summer! How would people rate summer 2013?

The June was ok here, it was cool but it had its fair share of dry and sunny weather.

July was fantastic though, The heat kicked off in the first week and lasted for around 20 days. Ending in the proper way with huge thunderstorms on the 23rd.

August was decent also, a hot spell at the beginning and warm throughout. Possibly the best August since 2006 (although that’s not saying much these days).

An all time great summer? Probably not as 2018 was a lot better, however it did feel especially sweet after the dismal summers from 2007-2012 and also how cold the spring was. It felt like we would never get a warm summer again after that!

It also seemed to usher in this warmer period of weather we have experienced post 2013 (bar notable exceptions of course). Interesting to hear people’s thoughts on this. 

Edited by adam93
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes I would definitely rate summer 2013 as a great summer as well. Coming after a very cold spring it was a lot more welcome as I definitely couldn’t deal with a poor summer

June for me was a decent month, temperatures and sunshine were both exactly average but my area only had half the amount of rainfall. There was no hot weather though the highest I reached all month was only 22.8.C. The first week had plenty of 20.C days and sunny weather before it turned a bit more unsettled with some showers but plenty of dry if slightly cloudy weather. There was only one day I can remember where it seemed to rain all day. A unremarkable month in many ways but decent nonetheless.

July was an absolutely fantastic month weather wise, after a three day cool, wet spell my first thought was “here we go again” but from the 4th-23rd it was absolutely lovely. Plenty of sunny and warm weather temperatures exceeded 25.C on ten days during that period with the highest being 31.C on the 18th, just spoilt ever so slightly by two days in that period with a easterly breeze bringing some cloud. The thunderstorms at the end was also nice after a lot of dry weather in that month.

August was warm and very dry only 30% of average rainfall but it was a dull month, we missed out on the heat at the start but we had plenty of days throughout the month where 20.C-22.C was reached. Like June there wasn’t any massively warm days the highest we reached about 24.C but even so despite it being quite overcast on a lot of days it was largely quite warm so wasn’t big let down like a lot of August’s prior to that.

Definitely a excellent summer, probably joint third best since 2000 behind 2018 and 2006 and tied with 2003. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

June was poor, July was great, August was alright. I'd call it a good summer rather than a great summer.

Summer index was 311.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

June suffered a lot due to the cold spring that preceded it. So much so that in my location at the time (Gt Yarmouth), I actually saw single figure maxima recorded thanks to the wind off the sea. In a normal season June probably would have been a little warmer.

July was fantastic from start to finish, unfortunately westerlies returned in August and persisted to bring a mundane end to the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I'd agree that it was a good rather than fantastic summer. 

June was dry but very cool, but with many useable days.  I dont remember it getting above the mid 20s at all.

July was fantastic and in my mind equally as good as july 2018, the only reason the cet wasnt higher was the first few days really dragged it down.  There was more thunder this month than 2018 and we even had a decent storm on the 29th when the flow did veer back to the Atlantic for a bit.  As an individual month the joint best of the decade for summer. 

August was mixed with a hot day (the highest temperature of the summer was 34.1 actually on 1st august) and some warm periods too but yes one of the better August of the last 20 years

Posted

Yes it was a good summer, but at the time it felt like a classic, mostly due to the poor run of cooler summers since 2007.

After another cold winter and chilly spring, it was beginning to see like whether a hot sunny summer was ever going to happen again. However, it did, and the summer as a whole was a nice and sunny one in London. Early June was still quite poor though, after still coming off the back of a cold spring, and sort of snowy winter.

The only downside was, this being the return to milder winters, and 13/14 was a very mild one. It did come as a surprise not to see snow falling, after the previous few years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Often regarded as the best Irish summer since 1995 but I preferred 2018 over it. A pleasant June with a lot of usable weather, possibly the best July the country has had for overall combined warm and sunny weather (July 1955 was sunnier) whilst August was mediocre but passable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Yes a very good summer. Warm/hot and sunny in July but not excessively hot. June was mostly just an average sort of month but got warm towards the end. Remember some thunderstorms in late July 2013. August was pretty good, at least the first half anyway. I remember going to Skegness in August 2013 and the weather was pleasantly warm and sunny, without being excessively hot. However, the 2nd half of the month IIRC was a lot cooler and duller, and I remember having another holiday in the North East later in the month and it was quite chilly. Also remember a cold and wet day later in the month as well.

Posted

Certainly up there out of recent summers. 2018, 2013, 2006, 2003, 1995, 1990, these are my top 6 from the past 30 years. Though all of the last 5 summers have been pretty good down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

As I've stated, personally I dont rate 2013, but then I was in the middle of a very messy divorce that whole summer, so my memories of that period are very bad to put it mildly! 

Remember the July being very good with although not summer a weeks holiday in Cornwall 1st week of September being stunning. I think I hid away a lot and friends did give me the wide berth as I was in a bit of mess!  

All I remember clearly that summer is calendar watching, being in solicitor offices which were stuffy and hot in June and July and counting down to the decree absolute which I got on 5th September and then throwing my wedding ring over the cliffs close to Lands End that day.

Life moves on- bad period then led to a much happier life now! 

Edited by philglossop
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, philglossop said:

As I've stated, personally I dont rate 2013, but then I was in the middle of a very messy divorce that whole summer, so my memories of that period are very bad to put it mildly! 

Remember the July being very good with although not summer a weeks holiday in Cornwall 1st week of September being stunning. I think I hid away a lot and friends did give me the wide berth as I was in a bit of mess!  

All I remember clearly that summer is calendar watching, being in solicitor offices which were stuffy and hot in June and July and counting down to the decree absolute which I got on 5th September and then throwing my wedding ring over the cliffs close to Lands End that day.

Life moves on- bad period then led to a much happier life now! 

Yeah it is interesting how personal events can influence your memories on the weather.

In the same way I rate 2013 as a great summer because I was 19 and carefree at the time. If a 2013 summer occurred in 2020 I probably wouldn’t rate it half as much. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

have few memories working in the garden during the july was quite nice at times

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jacky said:

have few memories working in the garden during the july was quite nice at times

I don’t know if it’s just my selective memory but I seem to remember pretty much the whole of July 2013 was warm/hot, dry and sunny,  apart from maybe a few cloudier (but still quite warm) days later on and a thunderstorm. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Yeah was only 10/11 yrs so not the best memories, and also the smaller interest in wx at the time too.

Posted
1 minute ago, Jacky said:

Yeah was only 10/11 yrs so not the best memories, and also the smaller interest in wx at the time too.

WoW, and I thought I was one of the youngest on here at 23! I was 16 in Summer 2013. Had a holiday in Butlins Skegness which was was great, weather was great too. Very sunny and warm. ☀️

• Like 2

June as ok, average max was 19.7C but fairly dry with just 30.7mm of rain

July was supremely consistent month, average max was 25.3C and there were 16 days higher than 25C and only 1 below 20C. Only 19.1mm of rain. 

August statistically was ok, only one day failed to reach 20C and that 19.8C, average max 22.9C and again dry with only 25.6mm of rain. 

As far a UK summers go its a solid 7.5/10, only 75mm of rain all summer, only one day with more than 10mm, over 25days of 25C+  really only the big boys of 1976/1989/1995/2006 & 2018 beat it 

Posted

July 2013 was a fantastic month in these parts- I can't remember many better months. Consistently sunny and very warm to hot. There were very few cool days at all.

I think people further east might not think the month was quite so fantastic as there was an easterly flow at times that allowed some filth in off the North Sea. It even affected us on the west of the Pennines for a couple of days (around the 21st I think).

The consistency of the month was quite remarkable. We had 18 days at 25C or above here and it seemed to be constantly clear.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
4 hours ago, adam93 said:

Yeah it is interesting how personal events can influence your memories on the weather.

In the same way I rate 2013 as a great summer because I was 19 and carefree at the time. If a 2013 summer occurred in 2020 I probably wouldn’t rate it half as much. 

And yet, the following winter 2013/2014 which was horrendous with the gales and the flooding although snow free,  remains my favourite winter without snow. It was wonderfully cathartic and good for my soul and I bought and moved into my new flat slap bang in the middle of February storms, my 1st post divorce home. So again another good memory even associated with dire weather! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.

For me, Summer 2013 was interesting at the time because it is the first hot Summer I can remember well. So I would say this Summer was a good one for people who like warm/hot, dry and sunny weather. However, I don’t like hot weather with strong sunshine and that has been the  case since 2013, when the U.K. started getting more hot weather compared to 2007-12. I also don’t ever want flooding, I just like the cold. Summer 2013 make me sadder with hindsight because it marked the end of the colder and in my opinion, more interesting weather that the U.K. had between 2007 and June 2013. Winter 2009-10 got me interested in the weather, but I don’t think the almost constant warmer than average weather we’ve had since July 2013 isn’t nearly as interesting to me and climate change worries me a lot anyway. I’d happily never see a hot Summer ever again, but I’ve never known anyone outside of these forums who craves cold and wet weather and if warm sunny weather makes people happy, then I’m happy to let them enjoy it. Outside these forums, I suspect that most people over the age of 16 don’t like snow that much, but they might think snow is pretty to look at. I do like crisp, cold Winter sunshine combined with ice days and deep snow cover. Sorry for the tangent. I enjoy talking about the weather, and I think Summer 2013 was good for warmth and sunshine lovers, but bad for lovers of all year round cold weather.

Posted

Seem to remember a sunny July with frequent warm temperatures of 25 and 26C, but no 'real' heat. But it was a relief after the recent run of poor summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Here are the temps for every day of that summer here. 

June: 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station...

July: 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station...

August: 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember June 2013 being dry and quite cool overall (at least for recent years), as part of a generally cool first half of the year which was followed by a much warmer first half.  There was an anticyclonic spell early on which I spent in the Vale of York, and it was generally dry and sunny there as I was just to the west of the veil of low cloud that kept coming in off the North Sea and affecting many eastern parts of England.  Unusually South Shields also lay just to the west of the low cloud and thus also had a sunny week, but it was a dull spell in East Anglia in particular. 

Generally both June and July 2013 were warmer and sunnier the further west you were, and July 2013 was exceptionally so.  I had a week's holiday near the northern/southern Irish border and it was hot and sunny for almost the entire week with temperatures in the mid to high 20s - somewhat unusual for July, when Ireland tends to be cloudier than in May and June due to increased westerlies.  Then I stayed in Dumfries overnight 22/23 July, which was well-timed as the region had a very potent thunderstorm early on the 23rd.  Statistically July 2013 was also an outstanding month in Devon with ~300 hours of sunshine, but less exceptional in the east, where north-easterly winds blew at times and brought in some low cloud.  August 2013 was pretty normal but I do remember some quite potent thunderstorms in North Yorkshire in late July and again in August.

The UK summer index (based on the Met Office values for sunshine, max temp and wet days) for 2013 comes out at 247, which since 1980 has been exceeded in 1983, 1984, 1989, 1995, 2003, 2006 and 2018 - so we can expect a summer as good as 2013 on average once in every five or six years.  It would probably rank higher than that in the west and lower in the east.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm a big fan of July 2013 despite normally siding with cooler summers.

June was dry and cloudy and cool but around the end of the first week high pressure built in and stayed for three weeks straight, sunny, hot but low humidity which for me made it preferable to 2014, 2018, 2016, 2019, 2010 and other warm ish July's this decade.

Looking at the charts it was simply a very northward displaced Azores High so I guess sourced from the west rather than east.

Posted
On 07/07/2020 at 19:30, Weather-history said:

Pretty good summer. Not up there with 1995 and 2018.

I had a couple of day trips to Chester and York during early July 2013. Both days were stunning.

I think August 2013 was better than August 2018 though.