TomSE12

MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION

Evening all,

I hope yourself and your Families, are all well and Virus free.

I will Post up each Entrant's "Virtual" Returns for the Final Day of "Glorious" Goodwood, in the Morning.

Also which Entrant has won the LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY.

Plus the overall Winner of the MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 🏇

• Like 2

Feel sorry for horses having to run in 37c heat, is there a temperature level that if reached, means racing gets abandoned?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Feel sorry for horses having to run in 37c heat, is there a temperature level that if reached, means racing gets abandoned?

I was thinking this, I did see temp listed as a reason for some non runners.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreckly said:

I was thinking this, I did see temp listed as a reason for some non runners.

Jumps racing with the long distances is particularly risky I would have thought?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Apologies for the late appearance of the Result of the LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY Competition.

I felt too tired last Night to collate all the "Virtual" Returns, and had to pore over the figures, this Morning.

I then took my Afternoon nap, which I missed during all of ITVs' superb Goodwood coverage, last Week.

Below, are the Final Standings of the Competition, to my wonderful Italian Mothers' memory:  

"Virtual" Returns ("Glorious" Goodwood)

Final Standings and Result of the LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY.

ENTRANT    DAY 1    DAY 2    DAY 3    DAY 4   DAY 5 CATS 9/10  "V"/R TOTAL

K/Weather      6.07     21.44     25.76     21.07     32.94       35.28         142.56

TomSE12      11.60     11.00       9.51     36.13    38.92        35.28         142.34

PaulBR7         4.22     47.30      7.63      54.51     16.88        1.75          132.29

St'phenSe12  3.03      13.50     38.63     44.51    18.50         NIL           118.17

HayleyBR7   17.07       2.00       8.66     11.13     61.34        6.50          106.70 

Dreckly         37.23     17.25      8.16      19.49     20.94        2.08          105.15

S/Sun            27.16       9.75      2.72     16.36      23.72      10.37           89.08

Cassie/Se12 18.64     21.13      6.85     23.50     16.81          NIL            86.93

Lassie23       22.23     13.63      5.88     15.00     24.07         3.50           84.31

AntonyBR7    5.97     41.30        NIL     12.07    21.34           NIL           80.68

Bristle Boy   12.16     18.13      1.41     13.49    16.81           NIL           62.00

CATS. 9/10 = Additional Categories 9/10.

"V"/R = "Virtual" Returns.

K/WEATHER sneaks up on the Rails, to claim the Trophy, by a mere 22p.

TOMSE12 loses by the shortest of short heads, in his Mother's Memorial Competition.

PAULBR7 also goes close but would've had quick compensation, with Arsenal's F.A.Cup Final win.

STEPHENSE12 makes a very encouraging debut, and takes 4th.

HAYLEYBR7 finishes 5th in her "Fantasy" Competition reappearance, to her Grandmother's memory.

DRECKLY continues to impress on the Gallops (Keyboard),and reproduces that form, to finish 6th.

SUMMER SUN finishes behind the main pack but leads the chasing Group, to take 7th.

CASSIE/SE12 takes 8th, in the tribute to her mother-in-laws' memory.

LASSIE23 lacked his usual long odds winning outsider, and finished in 9th.

ANTONYBR7 also found compensation in Arsenals' F.A. Cup win, as he struggled in 10th.

BRISTLE BOY despite enjoying the refreshing Torquay air, couldn't find his "mojo" and finished in rear. 

Regards,

Tom. :hi: 🏇

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

🤣 I’ve got u back for pipping me last time @TomSE12 🤝🐎 great fun again and look forward to the next racing competition.

• Like 2

I will Post up a postscript to the LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY Competition, Tomorrow Morning. 

Plus the overall Result of the MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION

Feeling really tired again, and need to Post that up, when I'm a bit more "with it".

Regards,

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

🤣 I’ve got u back for pipping me last time @TomSE12 🤝🐎 great fun again and look forward to the next racing competition.

Yes, well done Callum, and thank you for your kind words.

You won't have long to wait.

Tomorrow, I will start a Thread for the LATE SUMMER/EARLY AUTUMN HORSE RACING COMPETITION

This will start with a "bang", next Weekend. 

ITV are broadcasting, yet another Saturday/Sunday "Double Header".

More details on this, in the next couple of Days.

Regards,

• Like 3

Morning all,

Right I shall crack straight on, I've got a fair bit to do, before I open up the new Competition Thread.

Below, are the Standings after "Glorious" Goodwood, in the MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION:

(Final Standings after "Glorious" Goodwood)

DERBY/OAKS/ECLIPSE                   CATS.        "V"/R

ENTRANT             FRENCH DERBY/OAKS    JULY      1 to 10       TOTAL

CASSIE/SE12                        25.80                    199.42      236.64      461.86

PAULBR7                              36.63                     248.51         6.28      291.42

KIRKCALDY WEATHER       19.00                    223.91        47.74      290.65

HAYLEYBR7                          32.52                    237.12        20.59      290.23

STEPHENSE12                      53.89                   232.54           0.80     287.23

LASSIE23                               16.56                   247.45         23.02     287.03

HAYLEYBR7                           32.52                   237.12        20.59      290.23

DRECKLY                                61.56                   209.82        14.41     285.79

TOMSE12                                52.09                   184.88        35.28     272.25

BRISTLE BOY                         51.02                   150.99        40.23     242.24 

SUMMER SUN                        42.49                    172.11        18.08     232.68

ANTONYBR7                          46.37                    163.73           NIL     210.10

CATS.1 to 10 =   Additional Categories 1 to 10.

"V"/R =  "Virtual" Returns.

CASSIE/SE12 takes the Win, after finally ditching the Woman's Own, in favour of the Racing Post.

PAULBR7  made rapid late headway to take 2nd, after an excellent "Glorious" Goodwood Week.

KIRKCALDY WEATHER  also had an  excellent Goodwood Week, and ran on strongly to finish 3rd.

HAYLEYBR7 made a very pleasing comeback, after a long lay off, and takes 4th. 

STEPHEN/SE12 finishes 5th, after a very encouraging debut.

LASSIE23 completely missed the break but still manages to finish 6th.

DRECKLY faded after showing early promise, and finishes 7th but a stronger performance beckons soon.

TOMSE12 made a little headway to pass tired Entrants, to finish 8th.

BRISTLE BOY ran very disappointingly to finish back in 9th but write him off, at your peril.

SUMMER SUN could never get to the leaders and finished in 10th but don't take this Form at face value.

ANTONYBR7 had a poor Competition and finished in rear but he's another one to write off, at your peril.

In a short while, I will Post up another couple of final anecdotes, about my wonderful Italian Mother.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:  🏇 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Due to my long Career in Bookmaking (almost 30 Years), I associate "life-changing" events with the Racing Fixtures.

"Glorious" Goodwood Week of 2004, was one of those times.

As I stated previously, my Italian Mother collapsed on the Morning of the first Day, of "Glorious" Goodwood 2004.

She remained unconscious until the Friday of the Meeting, and then passed away.

After spending most of the Week, keeping a vigil at her bedside , myself and my elder Sister were busy on that Friday, trying to get our Father paced in a local Residential Care Home. Ironically it's the same Care Home, where my Wife, Colette, is employed as a Senior/Team Leader at the present time. It is also just a few Hundred Yards away, from where my Son (Antony) and Daughter (Hayley), live now.

Myself and my Sister, got delayed and wanted to get back to Lewisham Hospital to be with Mum, asap. But we got caught in late Friday Afternoon traffic, on the busy South Circular Road, that circumvents London. It becomes the North Circular, across that part of London, North of the Thames. 

We reached a point on the South Circular (ironically a few Hundred Yards from where I'm typing this Post), when the flow of traffic, stopped altogether. We then received a phone Call from my younger Sister, informing us that Mum was slipping away fast, and to try and get to the Hospital rapidly.

But we soon knew our Mother's fate.

We found Antony at the bottom of Mum's block of Wards, in tears and as white as a sheet. Mum had slipped away, just 15 minutes earlier.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), my Sister, Antony and Hayley were with Mum, when she made that final journey.

I'd now like to Post up a couple of images of our Wonderful Mother, during happier times:

image.thumb.png.7b5d641b3e3ee56f00881776206206b4.png

BACK ROW: My Sister Luisa, my younger Sister Angela (our own Francesca Cumani, lookalike), my ugly mug!!

FRONT ROW: Mum, Son (AntonyBR7), next to his Nonna (Italian Nanny), Daughter (HayleyBR7), and my Niece.

This was taken on the occasion of her 80th Birthday, just short of 7 Months before she passed away.

Apologies for the light exposure, on the one below.

image.thumb.png.5003da4785494317dfad870d7f8e2566.png

Mum and Dad (early 1960's) , in the Gardens of the Royal Palace, in Mum's Home Town of Caserta, Southern Italy. 

Below, is a little more information on the Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace), of Caserta:

One final comical anecdote about Mum.

She couldn't really understand my fascination with the Weather, less so my annoying habit of re-tuning our Radio, to Radio 4. Mum would often listen to the old Radio 2, in the Morning.

But when there was a Winter Easterly in the offing, I would want to listen to the Shipping Forecast at 7.55 on Radio 4, to see if Snow Showers were mentioned for Thames, our adjacent Shipping Forecast Area

On one occasion, Mum came out with the following "classic" line, in her own "Pidgin English, as follows:

"Toma whya youa wanna listena toa thata s...a, wenna wea donna evena hava shipa herea ina Bromleya?

Italians have a habit of adding a non-existent "a" to the end of every English word, they pronounce!!

Mum also picked up a few choice English swear words, during her time over here. Hope that doesn't offend anyone but it's an integral part of Mum's comment.

Perhaps I should include an English translation to that but would be nowhere near as hilarious, as Mum's version.

I met my Wife Colette, via my younger Sister. They attended the same School, in Bromley.

Colette also lived locally to us, and would often "bump" into Mum, at our local parade of Shops.

Colette tells me she couldn't understand a word Mum said to her, and would just nod politely!! 

Mum had very simple tastes, and I often referred to her as our Southern Italian Peasant Mother.

It was obviously a term of endearment towards Mum, our Italian Hilda Baker.

When she was a Teenager back in Caserta, she would take her Mum's washing down to the local River, and wash the items there. Then bang the items on a rock, to get rid of the excess water.

Mum refused to use a Tumble Dryer, when we lived in Bromley and would wring out the washing, on a Mangle (Wringer), before putting the items on our clothes line, to dry.

In our local Waitrose, she was known as the "Cat Lady", and would often buy slices of Chicken/Turkey for her 3 beloved Cats.  Also John West Salmon, no less, for them.

They probably ate better than all the Humans, in the Family (only joking). Mum was a fantastic cook.

image.thumb.png.3abc85723564d82e3648692d3a6acb35.png image.thumb.png.d1f6787c13204d5458b8f28076e2508e.png image.thumb.png.9bb8908b582d87134c58c1c1e9221670.png -  image.thumb.png.94da1c1ed54e48815119dbea0a7ae92c.png

Mamma, eri una su un milione Moglie, Madre e Nonna!! :give_rose:

Mum, you were a one in a million, Wife, Mother and Nanny.

I'd like to thank all those who entered my Mother's Memorial Competition.

She would have been deeply touched by all these unknown people competing in a Competition, to her memory.

I'm sure if the Good Lord allowed it, Mum would have popped to the Great Betting Shop in the Sky last Week, to have some small Lucky 15's and Placepots, at "Glorious" Goodwood.

Our wonderful Mother, lies buried in a Cemetery, in the South of her adopted Home Town of Bromley, N.W.Kent.

The following is inscribed on her Headstone, made out of Italian marble:

"Luisa Maria (Elisa) Quintavalle, Riposa In Pace (R.I.P.), you will remain forever in our hearts".

Later, I will begin a new Thread, for the late Summer/early Autumn Horse Racing Competition.

Also in the next couple of Days, I will hold a short "Virtual" Prize giving Ceremony for both Competitions - MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING and the LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

Morning all,

Just want to Post up part of a tribute I paid to my Italian Mother, on the In Memoriam Thread, on the 15th Anniversary of her passing, last Year.

It includes a couple of "Black Comedy", moments:

Quote: 

"It was this time in August, that we finally laid our Mother’s body to rest but not before myself and my Niece experienced some “Black Humour” moments, when we came to register my Mother’s death, at Lewisham Registry Office, which is next door to Lewisham Hospital, where Mum had died. First black humour moment came when a member of the Admin. Staff tried to give my Niece a letter releasing the body of an Irish gentleman. Fortunately, my Niece spotted the mistake in time, otherwise this Irishman could have been on his way, to Southern Italy!! More on that in a minute. Next black humour moment, we’d arranged to meet the local Roman Catholic Priest attached to Lewisham Hospital, in the Hospital’s Cafeteria. Myself and my Niece looked up to see an Indian gentleman walking towards us, dressed in Religious clothing. We turned to each other and quipped “wrong body, now wrong religion!!” But Father Raj, was indeed the local Roman Catholic Priest and a very nice and comforting chat we had with him.

It was now time to register my Mother’s death. The weather had been very warm and humid up until this point but the forecast suggested a risk of t/storms breaking out, although as we entered the Registry Office there was still plenty of blue sky about with just a bit of wispy cirrus. We filed in to meet the Registrar, I had just asked the lady what were the practicalities and cost of sending my Mothers’ body back to Southern Italy when “out of the blue”, there was a huge flash of lightning and instantaneous, “gunshot” thunder. My Niece turned to me and said, that was Nan saying NO, she wants to stay here in England, with her Family. My Niece had already had a dream the night before, in it, her Nan came to her and insisted that she stayed in England!! An almighty t/storm was then unleashed over Lewisham, before moving away N.W. and causing flood damage, over W.London. Now, I’m not superstitious but a lot happened that Afternoon to cast doubt, in my mind. We later found out, that a bolt of lightning had struck a wing of the Hospital next door, damaging some electrical equipment. Possibly that first bolt of lightning that myself and my Niece, witnessed.

Myself and Sisters then made the Funeral arrangements, at nearby Hither Green. The Undertaker had just taken delivery of a beautiful Italian coffin with scenes of the “Last Supper”, carved on the side. It was very expensive but only the best for our Mother and I’m sure she would have appreciated her last resting place.  

The Funeral went ahead in mid-August 2004, fortunately without further mishap."

Tomorrow, I will hold those short "Virtual" Prize giving Ceremonies for both the - MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING and the LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY, Competitions. 

Now, must dash over to the LATE SUMMER/EARLY AUTUMN HORSE RACING COMPETITION Thread, to do a bit more work on that.

Regards,

• Like 2

Morning all,

I will now present the "Virtual" Prizes for both the -  LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY Competition, and the MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION.

First, the LUISA QUINTAVALLE MEMORIAL TROPHY image.png.8e2394e32476c047586139c1ab95bb2e.png image.png.107d25ba5c4a8ca501e31024b2a9087f.png

1st - KIRKCALDY WEATHER - £142.56

2nd - TOMSE12 -                       £142.34.

3rd - PAULBR7 -                        £132.29.

Callum (K/WEATHER), wins the following "Virtual" Prizes: 

image.png.fdcc409803093c10f4172b2ed7393ce7.png -  A luxury Italian Food Hamper.

image.png.0c2d9b55245d90a46f6873140886ea2d.png - The Director's cut DVD of an Italian Cinematic Masterpiece - Cinema Paradiso.

Here's a Youtube clip, to whet your appetite. If you watch it with Mum, make sure you've got some tissues handy, it's a real "tear-jerker". My favourite Film of all time, which won many Awards for best Foreign Film.

CASSIESE12 (Wife, Colette) would also like to send you some "Virtual" Italian food to enjoy, with the Film:

image.thumb.png.84c433478b88c0df9f767a8de3fe9086.png - A very tasty Lasagna.

image.thumb.png.8a3cde945dbf948c582ae35b2c28e1d0.png - Pasta Penne.

image.thumb.png.be8ec3568d54a90f9b1ad0d86b4da6b4.png - Polpette (Italian Meatballs).

image.thumb.png.a31714adc454956f1188e21ae9c083ba.png - Bistecca Alla Pizzaiola (A popular Neapolitan Steak dish).

And finally, if you've got room!!

image.thumb.png.9c762563cb0213f5f67e52d038fbd925.png - A Raspberry Tiramisu.

image.thumb.png.85f70290331c21fdb7eba657cddb2e9c.png - A more traditional Chocolate Tiramisu.

I that lot doesn't ruin your waistline, nothing will. It ruined mine!! :shok:

TOMSE12 wins an Andrea Bocelli CD -

image.png.9d863cacd60070bf5387743cae675dea.png

Here is a Youtube clip of one of those tracks Rapsodia (with English Lyrics), that was played at my Mother, Luisa Quintavalles' Funeral. I also had it played at my First Wifes' Funeral (Antony/Hayleys Mum):

Plus, a framed  Photo of Mt. Vesuvius, overlooking the ruins of Pompeii, 30 Miles South of Mums' Birthplace.

image.thumb.png.09ad652ee91b10bd6cab560763bd6fa4.png

Paul (BR7), also wins a framed Photo of Mt Vesuvius.

image.thumb.png.c65eb25a1e05c6519a1d0bb1ca3440b6.png

Plus a bottle of Prosecco - image.png.860d723ecf1427847929ac03dc3dd036.png

And a Box of Italian Chocolates - image.thumb.png.1eae6371a628435284fe2279ffe7ab1f.png

Later Today, I will hold the Prize giving Ceremony for the -  MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

I will now hold a short Prize giving Ceremony. for the -  MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION:

1st - CASSIE/SE12 -                   £461.86

2nd - PAULBR7 -                        £291.42.

3rd - KIRKCALDY WEATHER - £290.65.

My Wife, Colette (CASSIE/SE12), wins the following "Virtual" Prizes: 

image.thumb.png.35cbcd10decd3ad8fa9510665ce2e255.png - Wooden Patio Furniture.

Plus:

image.thumb.png.8c471753e89ba01c2de156eb0bf9348c.png - A Dyson Cordless Hoover.

Colette requested these Prizes, and never seems to want personal gifts but always something for the Home. She's a nightmare to buy for on Birthdays and Christmas.

I'll let you into a little secret now. I actually selected her Trixie with 3 Winners, on Sat.25th July. Without those 3 Winners, she would have finished well down the Final Standings. Colette was busy doing an online Shop, that Morning. So, apologies to the Runner up, PAULBR7

It's typical but I can't "pick my own nose", when it comes to my own Selections!! :shok:

PAULBR7 wins a slap up meal for two at Studio Gusto - image.thumb.png.91f14734041c07f31f1393a3b882a1ac.png

This is an Italian Restaurant, owned by the Italian Husband of my Niece, and located in Bromley High Street.

He also wins a pair of tickets for a Show, at the nearby Churchill Theatre - 

image.thumb.png.674674178830bfde69047a3742c69d8c.png - Paul will almost certainly take his Partner Hayley (my Daughter), with him.

Paul also wins a supply of "Virtual" Face Masks, to combat Covid 19, if Paul wants to use his Prizes, sooner rather than later.

KIRKCALDY WEATHER wins a pair of "Virtual" tickets to watch his beloved - image.png.620b1dd9ba0bfaa9f3a240e2c7697110.png- Raith Rovers, in their first home game of the new Scottish Championship Season, on Saturday 17th Oct., against Arbroath. 

Callum also wins a supply of Face Masks, should they still be needed come October.

That ends the "Virtual" Prize giving Ceremony for the -  MIDSUMMER HORSE RACING COMPETITION.

Thanks again to all the Entrants, who entered the Competitions.

Without all of you, there would be no Competitions.

For the final Post on this Thread, I will Post up some Youtube clips of some highlights of "Glorious" Goodwood.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 🏇  

• Like 3

I will now Post up some Youtube clips of some of the highlights of "Glorious" Goodwood Week, 2020.

First, yet another tremendous performance by STRADIVARIUS, and Frankie Dettori:

Next up, MOHAATHER and Jim Crowleys' scintillating performance, in the Sussex Stakes.

Crowley features again, breaks the Track record on BATTAASH (aka The Bat Mobile), in the King George Stakes.

SUMMERGHAND under Daniel Tudhope, gets up close home to win the Cavalry Charge, that is the Stewards' Cup.

Finally, a few Highlights from Galway Plate Day, at the Galway Festival in Ireland.

EARLY DOORS and Mark Walsh won the feature, The Galway Plate.

Regards,

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2