Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 NAO Forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
19 hours ago, syed2878 said:

I doubt we will ever see the likes of 46 47 62 63 again how ever I hope I hope I am proven wrong and we see winter like that again.

It'd be nice to see some decent snowfall, for once, I suppose; but, so far, apart from some 'forecasts' of a -ive NAO, I've nothing to convince me that this year will by The Big One... Not that NAO forecasts based on May's SSTs will convince me either, come to think of it...:oldgrin:

So, for me, Winter 2020-21 will be another case of 'like it or lump it'!:oldlaugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
56 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Does anyone remember a weather guy called Tom Prosecco or something?

He was knowledgeable and had a theory that the 2020s would be cold Winters.

I've often wondered where he disappeared too.

Grand Solar Minima....2020s to plunge us back to Dickensian times ....I agree.  This year and winter will ‘show signs’...indeed look at the signs with unprecedented cold invading the sourhern hemisphere winter...

and major for me is this

look at those gains....seriously cold Greenland

BFTP

image.png

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

EC forecast not that bad to be honest. Hardly deep entrenched blues to the NW like we saw last year and there seems to be significant room for manoeuvre with regards to potential N Atlantic blocking.

Let's see what it shows in a couple of month's time ;)

Posted
14 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I don't think most people would want to see a 1947, or 63 winter again. It would be chaos, and potentially more devastating than a 1-2 week heatwave. 

Well, I would but you did say 'most' to be fair! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Yes, his name was Tom Presutti.  He emigrated to New Zealand I believe.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
4 hours ago, General Cluster said:

It'd be nice to see some decent snowfall, for once, I suppose; but, so far, apart from some 'forecasts' of a -ive NAO, I've nothing to convince me that this year will by The Big One... Not that NAO forecasts based on May's SSTs will convince me either, come to think of it...:oldgrin:

So, for me, Winter 2020-21 will be another case of 'like it or lump it'!:oldlaugh:

indeed general Gloucester knowing our luck in this country we are most likely to pull defeat from jaws of victory in regards to winters here now a days

Posted

qbo_wind.jpg

What's up with the QBO (around 26km)? More sudden reversals to westerlies  sort of like 2016

Posted
55 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

qbo_wind.jpg

What's up with the QBO (around 26km)? More sudden reversals to westerlies  sort of like 2016

The descending E-QBO has gone a bit awol this year.  Not sure if it's another failure or whether it will strike back?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I think we are bound to get snow.  Despite winters generally getting milder, anomalous cold can and will still occur.  It would be nice to have a front-loaded winter this time (White Christmas anyone?).

Posted
56 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

I think we are bound to get snow.  Despite winters generally getting milder, anomalous cold can and will still occur.  It would be nice to have a front-loaded winter this time (White Christmas anyone?).

No, that’s no happening. I’m going for a cold Christmas though, and possibly the coldest since 2010, with temps in the -1 to 5c category, with clear sunny conditions or cold and cloudy. 

I predict a white New Year’s Day.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

I would love a front-loaded winter with a white christmas and then Spring starting on Jan 1st.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

I would love a front-loaded winter with a white christmas and then Spring starting on Jan 1st.

I would just like to see more than 0.5cm of slush between December and March 

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

Yeah, just like 1981/82. Very cold in December and into mid January, then it was mild from February on wards. 

Posted
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No, that’s no happening. I’m going for a cold Christmas though, and possibly the coldest since 2010, with temps in the -1 to 5c category, with clear sunny conditions or cold and cloudy. 

I predict a white New Year’s Day.

Is that on the face of those hungover from the night before?

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, NeilN said:

Although it's probably unlikely, what's the chance of a February like 1986? 

My first year at high school!! Sept 1985 when I started was,I think really quite warm and settled.November was very cold with a big anticyclone over Scandy.Feb was noteworthy,again a scandy high but with Russia well into the Freezer the cold pool was impressive ...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I'm thinking winter will be an up and down one this time round.. i don't see any long lasting deep cold, but I do see snaw for many in the UK albeit short lived 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 hours ago, Azazel said:

December 2009 / January 2010 would do me quite nicely, encompassing the pre-Christmas period but also making the post- New Year period much less depressing. Then spring by February.

• Like 1

Posted
On 14/08/2020 at 21:18, mountain shadow said:

Wow, Tom Presutti? That's a name I have not heard for a long time. Something in the back of my head is telling me he went abroad.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Wow, Tom Presutti? That's a name I have not heard for a long time. Something in the back of my head is telling me he went abroad.

Remember the 'era of the polar presutti winter' he said should start around now?  let's hope he's on to something, we had zero snow last winter, and only a brief patch of sleet to prove that it was that time of the year. and there was more frost in october than the whole winter!

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

New Zealand apparently. 

It's a pity he still doesn't post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
14 hours ago, MP-R said:

December 2009 / January 2010 would do me quite nicely, encompassing the pre-Christmas period but also making the post- New Year period much less depressing. Then spring by February.

Yes, that is my hope/wish. The usual grey/mild Christmas/New Year period is pretty depressing, and not the way you want to start a new year. 09/10 was more preferable to the following year. If we get seasonal/festive weather, I can put up with the rest of the winter being mild/wet/windy.

Waiting until mid/late February for winter weather is almost a case of 'too little too late'...

Posted
1 hour ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Yes, that is my hope/wish. The usual grey/mild Christmas/New Year period is pretty depressing, and not the way you want to start a new year. 09/10 was more preferable to the following year. If we get seasonal/festive weather, I can put up with the rest of the winter being mild/wet/windy.

Waiting until mid/late February for winter weather is almost a case of 'too little too late'...

Yeah, I prefer snowy conditions or dry cold and sunny, but more often than not its usually mild and damp, or cold and cloudy.