Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Which summer between 2009 and 2010 would you say was worse.

Harry233

Posted

Here’s another summer topic to compare. These two summers weren't complete write offs but I feel these two were probably one of the most varied summers if I had to pick summer 2010 probably edges it with a very good June. From what I can recall.

Summer 2009

June: Started very warm and sunny but then temperatures plummeted after a few days and it turned unsettled, even when temperatures recovered by the second week. The final week was once again very warm, dry and sunny. A warm month with rainfall slightly below average and sunshine above average 

July: Started off brilliantly with temperatures near 30.C in my area, turned unsettled by the second week but there was little cool weather and only a couple of days had prolonged or light rainfall, most of the rain was in thunderstorms or exceptionally heavy downpours. Sunshine and temperatures were both above average with double the amount of rainfall.

August: Quite a poor month, wet and not especially warm, sunshine was average at least. Seemed devoid of any prolonged warmth or settled weather.

Summer 2010

June: A pretty cool and unexciting start, although soon flipped the script completely and became very warm, dry and sunny it was almost as warm as 2006 and 2018. Very little rainfall after the second week and many warm days.

July: A very wet month, unlike 2009 a lot more prolonged rainfall lasting most of the day, temperatures and sunshine were both prettying average, a couple of spells where any 2/3 days with sunshine and warmth turned into about 3 days of rain and cool weather. Not a good month.

August: Cool but rainfall was below average and sunshine above so it wasn’t a bad month, felt like May a lot of the time some warm days but also some noticeably chilly nights.

Seemed to be a lot of variation, June 2009 seemed to fare off pretty well in northern and western areas whereas eastern areas were a bit cooler. July seemed to fare very bad in south west England and Wales but northern and eastern Scotland fared better whereas August was wet and dull in the north and west but south eastern areas seemed to fare quite well.

June 2010 seemed to fare off quite well in most areas, July was wet and dull in the north and west but eastern areas had average sunshine and south eastern areas had a very warm month. August was a poor month in the south and east but northern areas seemed better off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

June and July were better in 2010.

August was better in 2009. August 2010 was one of the worst summer months in living memory. 

Summer index suggests 2010, just. Both were below average though.

2009: 277

2010: 279

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Very little in it for me,the best month being june 2010 which was very warm,calm and sunny but the following 2 months didn't stop me calling it a poor summer.2009 had a reasonable spell of nice weather in June and the 2nd half of August but the rest was not good,never ending waves of atlantic fronts raining at some time on a daily basis and trying its best to stop England winning the ashes,Both Dire but not as bad as 2008 and 2012,thank God!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I'd say there isnt an awful lot in it.

2009 had a good june, a poor july and august was actually ok down here.. mixed but ok with several individual warm days interspersed with mediocre ones.  July after the 2nd was actually really poor, I can't remember anything good about the month after that.. it just rained and was windy at times

2010 also had a good june, july was good also, and when it wasnt so good it was warm and humid.  However august was pants and was a month with nothing good about it.. a warm weekend on the 7th and 8th but low 20s was about it.  It's up there with august 08 and 14 that I wouldn't want as a repeat, ever!

Hmmm can't call this, maybe 10 as june and july combined was better.

A complete lack of thunder here too in both summers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Neither were particularly bad - each had two okay months and 1 poor month. 2010 was drier though. June 2009 had a great thunderstorm on the 16th.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I know I could be termed 'doolally', at the best of times, chaps (and I might have spent too long out in the sun, today)... but. just how many summers were there, between 2009 and 2010?:oldlaugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

2010 was worse IMO. Summer 2009 was actually decent from my memory. All three months were warmer than average, and there was convective activity in June and July (but August had bugger all). 2010 had a record cold August from what I recall, and a record cloudy July with something utterly abysmal like 70 hours of sun. Pathetic.

Posted
14 hours ago, General Cluster said:

I know I could be termed 'doolally', at the best of times, chaps (and I might have spent too long out in the sun, today)... but. just how many summers were there, between 2009 and 2010?:oldlaugh:

Sorry the title isn’t very clearly worded. I should’ve worded out which summer out of 2009 and 2010 was better

• Thanks 1

Posted

I would say 2010 edges it.. just. I remember the June that year providing warm settled weather but I can barely remember the August from how dreary it was.

2009 seemed warmer than 2010 throughout but was far wetter, both average summers at best. 

Posted
14 hours ago, Thundershine said:

2010 was worse IMO. Summer 2009 was actually decent from my memory. All three months were warmer than average, and there was convective activity in June and July (but August had bugger all). 2010 had a record cold August from what I recall, and a record cloudy July with something utterly abysmal like 70 hours of sun. Pathetic.

Both summers for me I found were decent as well, July 2010 was exceptionally dull in the north west but I didn’t fare too bad Sunshine was bang on average. August that year was OK up my way just never got warm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

I have rose tinted glasses for Summer 2010 being one of my personal favourites because of June and August - the latter was my sunniest since 1995 and haven't beaten since! August was on the cool side ending in grass frost but didn't bother me too much with it being sunny. July was ok, I've seen worse. I did enjoy 2009 too for another great June, August was indifferent whilst July being very wet but also of a convective nature so wasn't without interest. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
16 hours ago, B87 said:

June and July were better in 2010.

August was better in 2009. August 2010 was one of the worst summer months in living memory. 

Summer index suggests 2010, just. Both were below average though.

2009: 277

2010: 279

This confirms why I’m finding it hard to decide!

Im not a fan of summer just fading half way through so I’m inclined to say 2010 was worse despite the superior June. Although July 2009 was exceedingly wet here (in many cases from convective rPm days), August saw an improvement again.

Posted

Very hard to pick. 2010 had more in the way of warm sunny weather (in June) but also more in the way of cloudy rubbish (virtually all of July and August). July 2009 was horribly wet but the other two months were on the dry side. August 2009 was just very frustrating with it being constantly warm in the SE while it couldn't top 25C here but it wasn't as bad as August 2008 or 2010. 

2010 had the better shoulder season weather. A very sunny spell in April (when the volcano went off) and actually had its warmest day in late May. September wasn't too bad either as I recall. 

Posted
On 24/06/2020 at 10:52, BruenSryan said:

I have rose tinted glasses for Summer 2010 being one of my personal favourites because of June and August - the latter was my sunniest since 1995 and haven't beaten since! August was on the cool side ending in grass frost but didn't bother me too much with it being sunny. July was ok, I've seen worse. I did enjoy 2009 too for another great June, August was indifferent whilst July being very wet but also of a convective nature so wasn't without interest. 

I enjoyed July 2009 purely for the thunderstorms and downpours. Most days actually started very sunny and then in the mid afternoon it used to rain torrentially for about half an hour or so then the evenings were sunny once again. Reminded me of a cooler version of Florida in a way.