Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Alderc said:

Flash flooding in parts of Poole and Bournemouth. Some more thunder to my west. 

And yet here just down the road it’s bone dry still 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

And... another one from Tuesday

cg2.png

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, matt111 said:

And yet here just down the road it’s bone dry still 

The models were about 20miles out, 6hrs ago we were only meant to get 2-5mm, looks like some places have had 20-40mm in an hour or so. Will be interesting to see how much Hurn picks up as the highest precip totals have been over north Poole. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Torro have released a Convective Chat which takes the SE out of the game completely.

Cone lives on - Am very confident we can now get to 12 months without a cg 

Yikes, let’s hope not

26th July was the last time, right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Really good radar if you run the loop atm - Places the Low somewhere over North London. Everything in the Northern Home counties moving east to west yet a few miles south of the low west to east. 

• Like 7

Posted
28 minutes ago, beatpete said:

Popped up on my FB just now... Birmingham yesterday..

This happened on the 13th (5 days ago) if whoever posted this is claiming to have taken the footage themselves yesterday! then they have most likely stolen the footage from someone else.

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Unbelievable rainfall rates here im amazed theres no thunder

Posted

Hours upon hours of grey sky drizzle here (and hours more to come by looks of things) ☔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Eastern Europe lighting up like a Christmas Tree 

WWW.LIGHTNINGMAPS.ORG

See lightning strikes in real time across the planet. Free access to maps of former thunderstorms. By Blitzortung.org and contributors.

Capture.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective, Snow

Thought you all might appreciate this. I forgot I had this picture it was taken in Northamptonshire on 27th of June 2014 - Best lightning pic i have taken to date.

lightning 1.jpg

lightning 2.jpg

Edited by Calayte
  • Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Yikes, let’s hope not

26th July was the last time, right?

Yep according to my wife 26th July was an overhead storm - I was in Alberta chasing with Netweather so missed that as well. 

I have to go back to 2018 for my last site at a Cg over the Cone

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, staplehurst said:

12z Herstmonceux radiosonde data is actually quite encouraging, and suggests deep convection is possible where sunshine can break through and lift temperatures to 17-18C or higher, with dewpoints around 13-14C, as is present across Kent/Sussex into east Essex and east Suffolk. Slight nose at ~680mb capping showers initially, but assuming convergence can develop in places then this should in theory be overcome. 09z sounding from Cardington in Bedfordshire does exhibit substantial mid-level capping from a deep warm, moist layer, but this should be peeling away to the west through the afternoon.

All in all, if we can get some meaningful convergence going then there is a risk of a few heavy showers or thunderstorms across SE England through London and up into East Anglia this afternoon and early evening. At the moment surface obs don't suggest a great amount of convergence where the sunshine is breaking through, perhaps some minor confluence, so will have to monitor obs through the afternoon. Best convgernece right now is through the surface low axis, from Cambridgeshire southwestwards through the south Midlands to Somerset (where extensive cloud persists).

HERST.JPG

Hope you’re right @staplehurst  Sun is certainly making an appearance here on and off and in any sun it does feel warm. Temps here currently 18C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

So a bit of light drizzle in the early hours is all I’m allowed on this spell? 

Posted
4 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

12z Herstmonceux radiosonde data is actually quite encouraging, and suggests deep convection is possible where sunshine can break through and lift temperatures to 17-18C or higher, with dewpoints around 13-14C, as is present across Kent/Sussex into east Essex and east Suffolk. Slight nose at ~680mb capping showers initially, but assuming convergence can develop in places then this should in theory be overcome. 09z sounding from Cardington in Bedfordshire does exhibit substantial mid-level capping from a deep warm, moist layer, but this should be peeling away to the west through the afternoon.

All in all, if we can get some meaningful convergence going then there is a risk of a few heavy showers or thunderstorms across SE England through London and up into East Anglia this afternoon and early evening. At the moment surface obs don't suggest a great amount of convergence where the sunshine is breaking through, perhaps some minor confluence, so will have to monitor obs through the afternoon. Best convergence right now is through the surface low axis, from Cambridgeshire southwestwards through the south Midlands to Somerset (where extensive cloud persists). A case of the right ingredients, but not all in the right place!

HERST.JPG

Tell me about it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It’s been cloudy all day so far with no brightness to speak of and yet the sky looks like this to the north 

7666257E-CEA5-4C33-AB76-A65A9F104D77.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Shoeburyness will have the top temp of the day today, it briefly touched 21c but fell back to 20c now.