Jump to content

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards


Recommended Posts

I think what everyone else wants storm wise tomorrow some people's expectations and the reailty a lot are going to be disappointed. See how the day pans out I suppose but at the moment it doesn't look particulairy nasty or thundery wise. We shall see though

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was the late evening storm as it passed over Filey. It was nice enough as it come up from Bridlington, but as it approached the coast, a real nice feeder band developed into it and it really ramp

My view of the Bude cell   Edit:excuse the washing

Very impressive lightning display here in Scotland in the early hours. I am just a amateur photographer but I am pleased with what I managed to capture. Here is a selection of all the best ones I got.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Zak M said:

The AROME is just laughable...:oldrofl:

Have you seen the 12z that's just come out? It's side-splittingly bad. Barely a drop for large parts of England

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you can get lightning out of a cloudless sky. The storm out of view so I guess I'll be looking for that tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

UKV 15z has a tremendous storm battering from across the Channel at around 2 pm.

1959222751_ukvgif(5).thumb.gif.87c22f290747f8f56995d76315817e37.gif

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

The only person  who will score tomorrow is Zak when he sees Cgs off the coast of Holland 

Next........

No offense to Zak btw and he knows we are only having a long running joke 

You name it! 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

WrF still shows precip for tomorrow here but probably being A Gordon’s flower shop.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Gonna spend the morning playing with pro-audio gear, early afternoon on the river, and after that radar watching ... perfect day!

going boating then? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

UKV 15z has a tremendous storm battering from across the Channel at around 2 pm.

1959222751_ukvgif(5).thumb.gif.87c22f290747f8f56995d76315817e37.gif

Hopefully it's not as wrong as it was the day before June's 'plume', when it was similarly keen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

The only person  who will score tomorrow is Zak when he sees Cgs off the coast of Holland 

Next........

No offense to Zak btw and he knows we are only having a long running joke 

HE! HE! HE!😁

tenor.thumb.gif.719a650271a3eaf63d7e51596963c80a.gif

the temps look to creep up a notch or two than forecast a few days ago so the cap could be on a threshold here and become overcome,also i am keeping an eye on this trough through Wales tomorrow evening pushing east.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in...

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 05:59 UTC Sat 01 Aug 2020

ISSUED 21:08 UTC Thu 30 Jul 2020

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper ridge over eastern Britain will amplify further as it drifts eastwards across the North Sea and substantial warm advection occurs. Meanwhile, a relaxing upper longwave trough will approach from the Atlantic, the net result drawing a hot, dry airmass northwards across western Europe in the broad southerly flow aloft. 

Two tongues of high Theta-W will be advected northwards through Friday - one across Ireland immediately ahead of the cold front, and a second more widely across England into eastern Scotland. These two plumes will ultimately merge into one by the early hours of Saturday as they clear to the North Sea. Consequently, any minor impulses aloft could bring the risk of isolated elevated thunderstorms almost anywhere across the British Isles, hence a fairly large LOW threat level issued, but the risk in any one location is considered quite low. Areas with more interest are outlined below.

 

Forecast profiles suggest an uptick in embedded elevated convection is possible across central / eastern Ireland on Friday morning on the leading edge of the frontal rain associated with the cold front. This could bring the risk of some sporadic lightning, which would potentially migrate NNE-wards across Northern Ireland towards W / SW Scotland. If confidence improves, a SLGT may be introduced. The frontal rain is expected to weaken over Ireland towards midday and into the afternoon as the PVA lobe aloft overruns and moves into western Britain, ahead of the cold front. 

 

Meanwhile, a substantial EML will spread gradually northwards from the English Channel across much of England and east Wales to reach the Scottish borders by early evening. This will serve as a cap, preventing any surface-based convection from occurring - forecast profiles suggest surface temperatures of 38C or higher would be required, and given the lack of any substantial trigger and very dry profiles, this seems rather unlikely. However, a shortwave will drift northeastwards from the English Channel 12z to East Anglia by 18z, and this will aid in cooling and some moistening of the 550-650mb layer. Consequently, an increase in elevated convective cloud (AcCas at 10-12,000ft!) is likely to spread into south and southeast England during the afternoon, perhaps as far west as east Devon / SE Wales / NW England. The subtle forcing aloft may just be sufficient for this convection to grow deep enough almost anywhere in England / SE Wales to produce a few sporadic lightning strikes - but is probably most likely towards S / SE England into the S + E Midlands / East Anglia, especially towards mid/late afternoon onwards where the subtle shortwave is slightly more pronounced. Naturally there is some considerable uncertainty as to how widespread such activity may be, and the timing of initiation (if any). Very dry and hot air below the cloud base will likely cause most precipitation to evaporate before reaching the ground, at least initially.

 

The shortwave is expected to become more pronounced with each passing hour through the evening hours as it continues to migrate NE-wards across east and southeast England, and consequently there could be an increasing risk of elevated showers and thunderstorms developing during this time over these areas. As such, a SLGT has been introduced, but this may be expanded southwestwards to include other parts of the south Midlands / SE England depending on how quickly destabilisation may occur. While precipitation at the ground may be somewhat limited, lightning activity could become quite frequent in the most intense cells. Inverted-V profiles suggest some gusty winds and heat bursts will be possible. Any elevated showers/thunderstorms will generally clear to the North Sea by 00z (while probably continuing to expand in coverage as they move offshore).

At the same time, the PVA lobe associated with the approaching Atlantic upper trough will begin to engage with the northern portions of the instability plume, by the evening hours over parts of central / southern / eastern Scotland, and this may also result in an increase in elevated shower/thunderstorm development, primarily over the northern North Sea but perhaps also into parts of NE Scotland and the Northern Isles later in the night.

 

The remnants of the first Theta-W tongue immediately ahead of the cold front could still produce the odd isolated lightning strike elsewhere in England and Wales as this continues to track eastwards through Friday night.

socialmedialogo.png
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

largethumb.thumb.png.c0512b02b3ad780a20bac7cfa981c1e8.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Just in...

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 31 Jul 2020 - 05:59 UTC Sat 01 Aug 2020

ISSUED 21:08 UTC Thu 30 Jul 2020

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper ridge over eastern Britain will amplify further as it drifts eastwards across the North Sea and substantial warm advection occurs. Meanwhile, a relaxing upper longwave trough will approach from the Atlantic, the net result drawing a hot, dry airmass northwards across western Europe in the broad southerly flow aloft. 

Two tongues of high Theta-W will be advected northwards through Friday - one across Ireland immediately ahead of the cold front, and a second more widely across England into eastern Scotland. These two plumes will ultimately merge into one by the early hours of Saturday as they clear to the North Sea. Consequently, any minor impulses aloft could bring the risk of isolated elevated thunderstorms almost anywhere across the British Isles, hence a fairly large LOW threat level issued, but the risk in any one location is considered quite low. Areas with more interest are outlined below.

 

Forecast profiles suggest an uptick in embedded elevated convection is possible across central / eastern Ireland on Friday morning on the leading edge of the frontal rain associated with the cold front. This could bring the risk of some sporadic lightning, which would potentially migrate NNE-wards across Northern Ireland towards W / SW Scotland. If confidence improves, a SLGT may be introduced. The frontal rain is expected to weaken over Ireland towards midday and into the afternoon as the PVA lobe aloft overruns and moves into western Britain, ahead of the cold front. 

 

Meanwhile, a substantial EML will spread gradually northwards from the English Channel across much of England and east Wales to reach the Scottish borders by early evening. This will serve as a cap, preventing any surface-based convection from occurring - forecast profiles suggest surface temperatures of 38C or higher would be required, and given the lack of any substantial trigger and very dry profiles, this seems rather unlikely. However, a shortwave will drift northeastwards from the English Channel 12z to East Anglia by 18z, and this will aid in cooling and some moistening of the 550-650mb layer. Consequently, an increase in elevated convective cloud (AcCas at 10-12,000ft!) is likely to spread into south and southeast England during the afternoon, perhaps as far west as east Devon / SE Wales / NW England. The subtle forcing aloft may just be sufficient for this convection to grow deep enough almost anywhere in England / SE Wales to produce a few sporadic lightning strikes - but is probably most likely towards S / SE England into the S + E Midlands / East Anglia, especially towards mid/late afternoon onwards where the subtle shortwave is slightly more pronounced. Naturally there is some considerable uncertainty as to how widespread such activity may be, and the timing of initiation (if any). Very dry and hot air below the cloud base will likely cause most precipitation to evaporate before reaching the ground, at least initially.

 

The shortwave is expected to become more pronounced with each passing hour through the evening hours as it continues to migrate NE-wards across east and southeast England, and consequently there could be an increasing risk of elevated showers and thunderstorms developing during this time over these areas. As such, a SLGT has been introduced, but this may be expanded southwestwards to include other parts of the south Midlands / SE England depending on how quickly destabilisation may occur. While precipitation at the ground may be somewhat limited, lightning activity could become quite frequent in the most intense cells. Inverted-V profiles suggest some gusty winds and heat bursts will be possible. Any elevated showers/thunderstorms will generally clear to the North Sea by 00z (while probably continuing to expand in coverage as they move offshore).

At the same time, the PVA lobe associated with the approaching Atlantic upper trough will begin to engage with the northern portions of the instability plume, by the evening hours over parts of central / southern / eastern Scotland, and this may also result in an increase in elevated shower/thunderstorm development, primarily over the northern North Sea but perhaps also into parts of NE Scotland and the Northern Isles later in the night.

 

The remnants of the first Theta-W tongue immediately ahead of the cold front could still produce the odd isolated lightning strike elsewhere in England and Wales as this continues to track eastwards through Friday night.

socialmedialogo.png
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

largethumb.thumb.png.c0512b02b3ad780a20bac7cfa981c1e8.png

Roll on the end of next week then for the next potential! Still, should be some pretty Ac Cas around tomorrow.

Edited by Lance M
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some storms also possible in parts of the Southwest, Wales and the Midlands tomorrow evening and night according to the UKV. Some snaps here, as others have posted the GIF.

s1.PNG

s2.PNG

s3.PNG

s2.PNG

s3.PNG

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Met office weather map:

image.thumb.png.75fb28d545f74bac8e31ac4c8f2fd38f.png

Be happy if that comes off but I don't have a particularly positive feeling about this given the recent record of impenetrable capping in the SE.

Edited by poseidon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Doesn't seem to match the UKV

viewimage.thumb.png.4dba434a6b2fa7f2d6cc82749fc44abc.png

I reckon the one on the MetO's website is the 15z then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zak M said:

I reckon the one on the MetO's website is the 15z then.

Can't see any recent UKV runs matching that at 7pm

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Can't see any recent UKV runs matching that at 7pm

Regardless if it's not on the UKV, I wouldn't mind if it comes off :crazy:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...