Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

Maybe they all had the same idea...

That is what i said to my mate who came with me but no,the A1 was closed southbound so had to get off at Warmsworth and then through Doncaster to rejoin the M18 further NE,i only wanted to travel a mile to get on the M18 NE then M180 east to the coast

it was probably a bust anyway as the storms in S Lincolnshire died away

hopefully some more opportunities next weekend.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Can still see flashing from this in Bridlington, crazy

Screenshot_20200801_010408_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

A thunderless July here. I'm trying to think how many thunderless Julys there have been. Recent times, thunder has been uncommon but the month that was likely to deliver rumbles of thunder was July. 

Same. Haven't seen a CG since July 19's plume. Given that I was spoiled with great lightning in the Alley 2 months before that plume, it's been easier to take but at the same time highly frustrating to be in the midst of the worst storm season in memory for large parts of the south. 

Usually August is the time to give up hope, but the models do show some potential next weekend, so let's hope for a rare thundery August to make up for the last 12 months!

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

looks like yesterday still had the Kent skipper debuff enabled as we didn't get swearing is not big or clever all again from the weather, all i want is to have a hot day like yesterday and seeing something like this to be heading towards me 

IMG_2186.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Oh!

i forgot to mention that i headed out earlier towards Market rasen,Lincolnshire to intercept the storms over there and i hit a brick wall of traffic heading south on the A1 towards Warmsworth,Doncaster to get on the M18 then M180 and head east towards Cleethorpes,i ended up staying one and a half hours in that jam then headed home.

Oh dear, why are so many people heading south, do we get chaser traffic too, these days? 

• Like 1

Posted

Some right little showers popping up (there's a rough line from north of Manchester curving down to Swansea) Big fat drops of rain too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
32 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Impressive lightning from a video my wife took in our back garden last night. Yesterday's storms were the most spectacular I've seen here for a few years. We also had numerous power dips after the cg strikes

IMG-20200801-WA0001.jpg

Was the best storm i have seen for a while round here, was absolutely amazing. Especially the crackling thunder made my body tingle ⚡⚡

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

That's it for now buddy, till the next plume at least! 

Yay

Only a week to go for the next let down then

Cant wait for the low to mid nineties temps then an area of patchy cloud to break the spell

Yaaaaaaaawn

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yay

Cant wait for the low to mid nineties temps then an area of patchy cloud to break the spell

Yaaaaaaaawn

Troll 

Better luck next weekend I guess 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yay

Yaaaaaaaawn

Metcheck already on it. Promise of storms in the south but they’re already thinking about how to change the record and move everything into the midlands the day before

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Very distinct hook in the group of showers in Northern Ireland.

hk.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
10 minutes ago, whitty-southwest-uk said:

Few captures from yesterday’s chase (31st July 2020) between two counties Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire. 

Day started off setting off from Plymouth (Hometown) potentially heading into Kent for developments pushing up from France but my gut told me to hang off with an opportunity in pushing North. 

Hanged About in Cambridgeshire which looked to be a good half way point to both ends but given convection was starting to fire up towers I made the crucial call and go with what I thought best pushing north into Leicestershire when we was welcomed by storms firing up all around. 

Ended with an amazing sunset!! 

May think I’m nuts coming all that way but I love roadtripping and so do my two sons. Going to suffer in work tonight I’m nackered. 

D3B8694C-E96D-474A-91C7-1EECC718E472.jpeg

5F5E42E5-FDB9-4D42-A72E-C9C0249938D1.jpeg

16C9D50A-6DDE-4BDC-9FA4-D98C68AD3BEF.jpeg

77A464E0-7BAE-40C1-86CD-6B82D2598C3E.jpeg

AF5CA277-A3FB-4046-9342-2EB04512B304.jpeg

Nice pics - in the 2nd one it looks like there might be an upward streamer in the left of the pic?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

This is at pure fantasy range at the moment (9 days) but this setup would be reminiscent of last year 24th July 

3F98AD5A-B3E3-49E5-BF6A-42E770D32BF5.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
16 hours ago, Supacell said:

Sorry for the late report but I did a storm chase yesterday. I didn't expect to chase so wasn't at all prepared. I was convinced it would be only the far east that had a chance and so when I heard a distant rumble i went straight to my netweather radar to see a storm bearing down on Belper.

I headed out but the storm was moving very quickly and so ended up watching it briefly before chasing it up the M1 all the way into Yorkshire. There was a lot of rain for pretty much the entire journey with some torrential downpours. Lightning was feint and so only slightly visible, clearly very elevated. It became more spectacular by the time I reached the M18/A1 junction near to Doncaster where I saw a few nice IC's and a couple of CG's. I was not catching the storm up though and I was under too much precipitation to get out. I was rain f****d. So I decided to stop chasing and reassess my options.

I decided to head east in order to intercept a storm moving north through Lincoln. My target was somewhere around Brigg near the Humber. As I was driving east on the M180 a storm broke out right in front of me near to Scun-thorpe. This storm produced some spectacular lightning, but I was stuck in the car on the motorway. By the time I could come off the storm was heading over the Humber. The storm near Lincoln died out before reaching me, and all the activity was now heading north through North Yorkshire and north of here.

All in all not a bad day considering I didn't expect anything. I saw some impressive lightning but nowadays I like to get out the car and film/observe. Not a patch on the storms in June but a nice end to the brief hot spell. The video will be up some time tomorrow.

A great summary, thanks

Had chases like this before, and it’s sometimes good to be reminded that not all storms are easy to watch. Rain is always a b****r and if you get the wrong side of the weather you’ll know about it.

Also I take the direction and speed of storms very seriously, as it’s no fun always playing catch-up.

That said, pleased to hear you made an effort to try and chase. We have had literally nothing bar one decent day way back in April (I think) and if there was something within reach I would be out and chasing for sure.

Better luck next time, but sounds like you at least got a few good moments.

Storms need witnesses!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks @Flash bang flash bang etc. Yes, not all storms are easy to chase, and the fast motion of Friday's storms made it quite difficult. However, I still got something. Storms do need witnesses. That being said, here is my video of the chase

• Like 5