Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Just had  very unexpected shower here in Plymouth. It wasnt on the radar an hour ago! But it's very unstable sky now

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft

Just had a nice small thunderstorm here in Dublin, thanks to Dublin Mts giving it a boost. 

Now having flying ants and birds after heavy rain shower. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

nothing warms the heart more than the beep of my phone telling me i have a thunderstorm warning, then i see isolated. 

Better than a kick in the nuts but still.

zzzzz

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

I'm giving serious conversation to traveling quite far today, as this summer has been a complete dud so far, and might be the only realistic chance of seeing a decent storm.

Also as mentioned in here already, radar might not be that useful, as most of any rainfall will evaporate before reaching the ground, so lightning maps will be your best friend today! 

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Curious by this little area to the south of the Channel Islands over France. Looks like a small low forming. I’m probably way off, but could this be a possible trigger for some later convection towards the southern UK coast?

C96AA9F0-F56A-4752-8976-742124068D4E.png

Possibly that's the short wave that Dan H was speaking of..? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

35.0C at London Heathrow, awaiting the 1pm obs , Met Office warning for eastern England later today.

Nick's convective forecast from last night for today https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/convective 

jul31convnick.png

jul31mots.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
41 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Curious by this little area to the south of the Channel Islands over France. Looks like a small low forming. I’m probably way off, but could this be a possible trigger for some later convection towards the southern UK coast?

C96AA9F0-F56A-4752-8976-742124068D4E.png

Its probably the Shortwave being mentioned by some forecasters, in which case its a little delayed, if all the way down there now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

sunny, warm but very windy here this afternoon, not sure if that will aid or hamper any chance of a storm today

Not sure, any storm will much higher up than the surface winds, and probably move in a north/nne direction. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Dan mentions in his forecast that temperatures will need to be 38c or higher for any surface-based convection. It's 1pm and it's 36c already at Kew Gardens.

This is very interesting and we will have to see what happens during the late afternoon...

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

Dan mentions in his forecast that temperatures will need to be 38c or higher for any surface-based convection. It's 1pm and it's 36c already at Kew Gardens.

This is very interesting and we will have to see what happens during the late afternoon...

Little-to-no cloud cover too, which was always a worry. Definitely possible that some isolated activity could break out

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Little-to-no cloud cover too, which was always a worry. Definitely possible that some isolated activity could break out

Also an outside chance of the UK Temp record being broken

Edited by James Maidstone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

This is what I can see to my south (Christchurch south coast) seems to be developing from what I can see, might come to nothing though

IMG_20200731_133524-01.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
1 minute ago, James Maidstone said:

Also an outside chance of the UK Temp record being broken

Heating is slowing in London now. 36°C has already been achieved but it is slowing so 38.7°C is not going to be broken.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

just reached 30°C here, too hot!

Posted

Modelling seems to have made up its mind that there will be little in the way of Storms for the UK today. Looking at the Brest Sounding from last night it suggested that dew-points of 20C and temperatures of 34C would be required to break the CAP. Dew-points that high are most likely out of question but I have noticed a marked difference in dew-points across the country. Heathrow as dew-points at 10C while Cardinham in the south west as dew-points at 18C. Across northern France a lobe of vorticity as sparked of a Storm which is likely to skirt the south east of the UK. We still have a number of low level wind convergence zones and the lobe of vorticity moving north from France. As late afternoon approaches it will still be touch and go whether the CAP goes. Think it is just a case of waiting and watching now.

nmmuk3hrprecip15.png

nmmuk3hrprecip18.png

skewt_07110_20200731_00z.gif

ukpaneltemp15.png

sound-WestMidlands-18.png

nmmukwind15.png

nmmukwind18.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Storm food has appears above the worthing skies!

Will we get a storm here today? Of course not. 

It's not too hot either! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
19 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

This is what I can see to my south (Christchurch south coast) seems to be developing from what I can see, might come to nothing though

IMG_20200731_133524-01.jpeg

Beautiful. I'll be awaiting the arrival of that here then! We just had a small patch of Cirrus Castellanus go over, some nice tiny towers all the way up there.

• Like 1