Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
5 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I’m surprised it doesn’t show the same here considering I certainly haven’t seen anything this year other than the distant stuff in the channel the other night. 

If you zoom in quite a bit you can see the extreme tip of Hampshire is in the pale grey (1 thunder day) shading. But it's quite a quick gradient to 3 days just to your north - where there were some lightning strikes within the 10km radius on Thursday 11th June, for example...

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 19.34.59.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder and lightning

I’m in Ware Hertfordshire. This cloud is coming from the West.

293BB500-4540-4D49-9742-E62DD86C0AE4.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Classic Leighton Buzzard storm avoidance there. Textbook. One cell off to Aylesbury again! And one around to the east from MK to Luton. Comical to watch on the radar. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Classic Leighton Buzzard storm avoidance there. Textbook. One cell off to Aylesbury again! And one around to the east from MK to Luton. Comical to watch on the radar. 

Since the storm we had earlier, everything has been dying before getting here. Just some light ppn a couple of times. Still helps the plants though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Shellgateshead said:

Anyone else watching the system moving in from the west just now? 

Just rain in that for tomorrow I think. Nothing for the se though except warm southerly winds. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
1 hour ago, Zak M said:

It must have taken incredible concentration to play the piano that slowly at such a low pitch without accidentally speeding up

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Only action here was a hefty downpour around 7:30 pm with 2.5mm. Other than that. Zilch.

• Like 2

Looking very poor on convective for the foreseeable, might be some post frontal convective activity over the weekend bouncing of a few hundred j/kg's any proper summer activity, plumes etc looks a minimum of 10days away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

5 years ago right now, we were about to see a belter erupt over Bournemouth and carve a NNE path of noise and discography! 5 years later, we are stuck in a very boring pattern of stratiform Atlantic mush! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

5 years ago right now, we were about to see a belter erupt over Bournemouth and carve a NNE path of noise and discography! 5 years later, we are stuck in a very boring pattern of stratiform Atlantic mush! 

Still the best light show I've seen to this day. Not that it's had much competition as I've only seen a couple of storms since. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Still the best light show I've seen to this day. Not that it's had much competition as I've only seen a couple of storms since. 

Easily the best night storm I’ve witnessed over the past decade! Full of anvil crawlers from start to finish, with incredible thunder and immense rain. Witnessed the epic size anvil still lighting up as the day dawned out over the wash and Lincolnshire coast! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

At that time I wasn't too interested in weather as I am now, but that 3-4 July storm was pretty insane. Frequent fork lightning lightened up the sky like the end of the world was near. I also remember a bolt of lightning hitting a tree a few blocks down the road of me!

I reckon, some time in late July, that somewhere will see a storm similar to this. Late July has always delivered magnificently here for the past 4 or 5 years now, and tends to be the time where are the storms are at their peak.

Approaching almost a year now since I flew out to the lightning capital of the world for 2 and a half weeks. What a trip that was.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Still so lucky to be visiting my parents in Poole that weekend. Remember how humid it was when we arrived Friday night and then boom. When your friend who lives in the states and is over visiting says it’s an American standard storm, you know it’s a biggie!!

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Zak M said:

At that time I wasn't too interested in weather as I am now, but that 3-4 July storm was pretty insane. Frequent fork lightning lightened up the sky like the end of the world was near. I also remember a bolt of lightning hitting a tree a few blocks down the road of me!

I reckon, some time in late July, that somewhere will see a storm similar to this. Late July has always delivered magnificently here for the past 4 or 5 years now, and tends to be the time where are the storms are at their peak.

Approaching almost a year now since I flew out to the lightning capital of the world for 2 and a half weeks. What a trip that was.

That second July storm would’ve been July 16th 2015 I believe! An incredible amount of distant lightning was observed near enough all night to the SE and E. East Cambs and Norfolk were particularly badly hit. 

Good thing is, I am off to Florida next year, so I have no doubt I’ll be spoilt for choice there. They say you haven’t seen a storm until you’ve been there!! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 05 Jul 2020 - 05:59 UTC Mon 06 Jul 2020

ISSUED 06:42 UTC Sun 05 Jul 2020

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper trough will swing eastward across northern Britain on Sunday, with a strong mid-level jet rounding its southern base. Cold pool aloft will create an environment with reasonably steep mid-level lapse rates, which combined with diurnal heating could yield 300-600 J/kg CAPE. Several bands and clusters of showers will spread southeastwards across Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England, some producing a few lightning strikes. Greatest instability will be across eastern Scotland where the cold pool will phase favourably with daytime heating, while conversely the strongest shear will be located farther south around the base of the upper trough - generally southern Scotland southwards, and retreating gradually southwards through the day.

Consequently the most organised convection will likely be across southern Scotland into northern England (albeit the vertical wind profile largely unidirectional), aided also by the passage of a shortwave during the afternoon hours. Here, squally winds may accompany the strongest cells, on top of the already strong background wind field. Hail up to 1.5cm in diameter may be possible locally. Showers will weaken in intensity from mid/late evening onwards as the upper trough exits across the North Sea.

http://convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2020-07-05

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 03/07/2020 at 16:49, Alderc said:

Looking very poor on convective for the foreseeable, might be some post frontal convective activity over the weekend bouncing of a few hundred j/kg's any proper summer activity, plumes etc looks a minimum of 10days away.

This year has got some serious catching up to do to avoid being the worst year in my memory for thundery activity. People further north will laugh at that statement, but I'm not exaggerating in the slightest about just how poor it's been down here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 04/07/2020 at 12:34, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Good thing is, I am off to Florida next year, so I have no doubt I’ll be spoilt for choice there. They say you haven’t seen a storm until you’ve been there!! 

I've been, and was somewhat underwhelmed, but maybe I haven't seen it at its full potential. Arizona on the other hand...

• Like 1