Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Shame... I thought i was watching a storm over Shefield way from the direction...had to double check Blitzortung

200 odd miles which smashes my previous furthest sightings....Which was Liverpool

A little bit disappointed.. because there was a NLC display to be had

Although i did say earlier..... that a disco thunderhead would suffice inplace of the expected display

I Lied

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Shame... I thought i was watching a storm over Shefield way from the direction...had to double check Blitzortung

200 odd miles which smashes my previous furthest sightings....Which was Liverpool

A little bit disappointed.. because there was a NLC display to be had

Although i did say earlier..... that a disco thunderhead would suffice inplace of the expected display

I Lied

Its hitting Scotland now. 

• Like 1

Posted

IT was pretty lively here for a while. We're in the clear now but those cells still going further north heading into the Moray Firth. There's another batch to our east but that will miss us. Not sure if more to come. Looks dark to our SE but that might be the mist that is clearing. Is actually sunny here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Looking interesting  for something this afternoon. Winds at surface and 850 MB do veer during the day but do not become westerly until after 4 pm so have plenty of time for action. Quite a strong flow about 50 km/h ssw which is good. SBCAPE around 700 J/Kg throughout the afternoon. Could do with surface temperatures being a little higher but they are already up on what was forecast here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Woah.....that storm in NE Scotland is a beast

And to think it started as a little mental dot in the N Sea and travelled all that way getting biggerer and biggerer!

And yet storms can't cross the flipping English Channel......

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
9 hours ago, Gorky said:

This was the late evening storm as it passed over Filey. It was nice enough as it come up from Bridlington, but as it approached the coast, a real nice feeder band developed into it and it really ramped up. This shot is as it started to fall apart a bit but was one of the few CG's I saw from the South. I suspect more were coming down from the anvil behind the rain core. Copious amount of leaves on the roads between Muston and Filey. Suspect considerable hail and/or strong winds.

IMG_7795.jpg

And the Netweather photo of the year award goes to....

Stunning, could see it here in Cottingham too.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Getting good insolation now. 18.0°C

Posted

Getting a nice thorough dousing at the moment, but can see almost perfectly clear skies behind it *rubs hands together in anticipation of this afternoon* 

You know, I remember when we used to get 'April Showers' in April  

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted

first shower here, moderate convective rain. Seems to be still developing. I love these days of sunshine and showers. I think I would take these over a plume anytime. These usually deliver the goods as well unlike plumes..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
10 hours ago, matt111 said:

Presumably baseball hail, tornadoes and over 200 strikes a minute? :crazy:

Some very bad news about the forecast now. Slightly smaller than baseball hail, slightly weaker tornadoes and... only 199 strikes per minute

(In fact, it’s already not going to plan here with just some on and off rain... )

• Like 5

Posted

I’m in a very heavy shower now. Everything is moving very fast as expected so a lovely contrast between the son and showers

Posted

Sun is out strong now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Sun is out strong now.

When it comes to today, what's the sun lol. However not complaining I'm nice and comfortable at last. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
10 hours ago, Mitch perrott said:

I'm just guessing probably like two someone said Kent clipper so went off that, the all red warning forcast is a troll, made m very sad  ;-;-

Sorry, couldn’t resist  All just for a bit of fun though

@TomW No mention of any Kent Clippers on that (made-up) forecast... 

Get the feeling though, unless I’m mistaken, a Kent Clipper didn’t quite happen in the end?

The radar appears to be showing some particularly intense showers around the Western Manchester, Northern Liverpool and Lancaster areas at the moment (looks like one of the ones that affected Weather-history above). Suspect one or two of them over North-Western UK producing a rumble or two.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Adding extra sentence
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like that shower that just went over me  has electrified. Lightning near Southport.

• Like 1

Posted

Another shower coming towards me now, let’s see if it will electrify. Very strong insolation now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Here is a short clip of a couple of lightning strikes my dash cam managed to capture the other night

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
12 hours ago, Gorky said:

This was the late evening storm as it passed over Filey. It was nice enough as it come up from Bridlington, but as it approached the coast, a real nice feeder band developed into it and it really ramped up. This shot is as it started to fall apart a bit but was one of the few CG's I saw from the South. I suspect more were coming down from the anvil behind the rain core. Copious amount of leaves on the roads between Muston and Filey. Suspect considerable hail and/or strong winds.

IMG_7795.jpg

Absolute banger. Beautifully captured. 

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of Thunder suddenly coming from the Storm to my West. ?️

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Lots of Thunder suddenly coming from the Storm to my West. ?️

That was a massive black cloud spewing out some thunder and visible rain slats in the distance, and yet we were on the edge of it and just got a few spots of rain!

• Like 1