Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
24 minutes ago, Gorky said:

This was the late evening storm as it passed over Filey. It was nice enough as it come up from Bridlington, but as it approached the coast, a real nice feeder band developed into it and it really ramped up. This shot is as it started to fall apart a bit but was one of the few CG's I saw from the South. I suspect more were coming down from the anvil behind the rain core. Copious amount of leaves on the roads between Muston and Filey. Suspect considerable hail and/or strong winds.

Wow! That might just be the best picture I've seen posted on Netweather, absolute beauty! 

What camera do you have and what settings for this image? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
30 minutes ago, Gorky said:

This was the late evening storm as it passed over Filey. It was nice enough as it come up from Bridlington, but as it approached the coast, a real nice feeder band developed into it and it really ramped up. This shot is as it started to fall apart a bit but was one of the few CG's I saw from the South. I suspect more were coming down from the anvil behind the rain core. Copious amount of leaves on the roads between Muston and Filey. Suspect considerable hail and/or strong winds.

IMG_7795.jpg

Wallpaper spoken for....

by me

i wished that i stayed up there this evening but my daughter pushed me to get back home,still i had a great day up that way

thanks for the photo,it is stunning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
2 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Wow! That might just be the best picture I've seen posted on Netweather, absolute beauty! 

It’s a fantastic image isn’t it. In regards to settings it depends on a few factors.

This isn’t my image but depends on several factors, depends on what camera as well. 
low iso, low F frame and also if you prefer single shot or long exposure.

Depends on the individual who’s shooting. 
More respect to people who do this photography then just sticking a phone / camera out the window anyway.

Lots more to play with when shot in Raw too

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I've just opened my window to more moths again :crazy:

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, jake44 said:

What time mate ?

I'm just guessing probably like two someone said Kent clipper so went off that, the all red warning forcast is a troll, made m very sad  ;-;-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey
12 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

That was a my Canon 6D with a Canon 17-40L lens on it. It was a 4 second exposure as there was still some ambient light at 10:30. Shot at F5.0 and iso 400 I believe and fully wide at 17mm. The storm was somewhat closer than it appears. It was the first CG I caught after I'd moved so focus had been knocked slightly out but not enough to be too noticeable unless you zoom right in

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Mitch perrott said:

I'm just guessing probably like two someone said Kent clipper so went off that, the all red warning forcast is a troll, made m very sad  ;-;-

There is something popping up in the english channel 

Posted
11 minutes ago, whitty-southwest-uk said:

Few images from Friday easily hours in Newhaven between Brighton & Eastbourne. Worth the travels just to get a storm fix. 

AA6B2479-28CF-427F-9D36-43E0876BFA2A.jpeg

8FED345E-959A-4427-BA7A-F844BC5883DB.jpeg

E7FFDB4A-7ED8-4456-BD9C-58FBDBE32BAB.jpeg

A25BEB24-C644-47B4-9399-FCCE8E81460C.jpeg

5DFC3E8E-082F-47D3-9711-CC429112D00D.jpeg

That’s amazing 

Seeing the CG’s from my location was good at the distance I was... I’m so happy someone captured it from the other end 

Stunning ⚡

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Been looking through the thread,what a hike that was and i can confirm that there was hail the size of a 2 pound coin or bigger in our local that my missus was talking about when i got in

already posted in this thread earlier.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 4

Posted

Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, but I did my best attempt in order to capture some lightning from the tops of the cell near Norwich. The lightning was worth it, but letting moths and other bugs crawl into my room wasn’t!

6CAD80BA-A5D7-418E-88E5-4E5695B810F1.png

C11DB0A3-B3AD-41AD-A2A9-13E0F1B7D8F9.png

C102D017-56E6-4472-BA40-AB5DF2098BEA.png

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Been looking through the thread,what a hike that was and i can confirm that there was hail the size of a 2 pound coin or bigger in our local that my missus was talking about when i got in

already posted in this thread earlier.

Never come across hail bigger then half a penny in the UK I’m envious of this.

Altho hail being that size I’d be running around grabbing it to cool the ciders down it’s quite an epic size to what I’ve seen in the UK 

Florida was colossal compared to here 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, but I did my best attempt in order to capture some lightning from the tops of the cell near Norwich. The lightning was worth it, but letting moths and other bugs crawl into my room wasn’t!

6CAD80BA-A5D7-418E-88E5-4E5695B810F1.png

C11DB0A3-B3AD-41AD-A2A9-13E0F1B7D8F9.png

C102D017-56E6-4472-BA40-AB5DF2098BEA.png

Can you invest in a camera that can deal with long exposure or better quality photography?
I ask because you seem to predominantly see a lot from your home 

They are simple blobs on my screen. I appreciate people do there best to capture storms but even my zoom on the pc can’t make anything out & I have a decent PC. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Lu. said:

Can you invest in a camera that can deal with long exposure or better quality photography?
I ask because you seem to predominantly see a lot from your home 

They are simple blobs on my screen. I appreciate people do there best to capture storms but even my zoom on the pc can’t make anything out & I have a decent PC. 

I have got a decent SLR actually but when it comes to capturing lightning in quick succession it's quite poor because it always has to focus for like 2-3 seconds before it takes the pic. I'm only 16 too and I got my SLR last year so I don't think my parents would agree on getting another expensive camera not long afterwards because they both spend a lot of money on house extensions.

I do hope though before I move out to get a really good camera that doesn't take a few seconds to focus before it takes a snap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
8 minutes ago, Zak M said:

I have got a decent SLR actually but when it comes to capturing lightning in quick succession it's quite poor because it always has to focus for like 2-3 seconds before it takes the pic. I'm only 16 too and I got my SLR last year so I don't think my parents would agree on getting another expensive camera not long afterwards because they both spend a lot of money on house extensions.

I do hope though before I move out to get a really good camera that doesn't take a few seconds to focus before it takes a snap.

There should be a manual focus mode, means you focus the lens to infinity (as far as it goes) and you’ll get a pretty crisp image of the lightning.

SLR photography is complex though can appreciate that, but I do think you might benefit from editing down your snaps a little.

I always take a tonne of pics of distant lightning (when we have any) and can never bring myself to delete them, but they normally get plopped into a special folder on my laptop (and then usually forgotten about). Its fine to keep pictures like the ones you’re taken but you should challenge yourself to get some more structural images of the distant storms you see, using long exposure if possible - and maybe invest in a fairly cheap zoom lens.

Hope this helps anyway, there’s definitely no disputing your enthusiasm so it would be awesome to see what images you can capture with the right gear and the right knowhow.

You’re in the right bit of the country for it, and you really can’t let that Zakvision go to waste

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

D-SLR be it set on manual mode, low ISO say 200 - 400, wide lens. I have 10-20 sigma.  Using a wired or remote shutter TRIPOD essencial, click it open for a few, or lock it on burst mode (iso 100) for a few then release then go again i think the tearm is rinse and repeat! Make sure you get your focal point before blasting away photos, they may well be blurred

Off topic for astro a meade etx 90 edit x2 (sorry)

Edited by LeeKay/
Added burst mode And Meade etx90
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Ye cor...i`ve jusf seen a flash of lighning to the N whilst looking out for NLC`s

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Wow i`m watching distance a lightning show   which only can be coming from the storm of Newcastle

424586614_55020.thumb.jpg.754ba4dadba2cd8e96270b56b72489e1.jpg

1805926063_55018.thumb.jpg.dd7a98c93c74f1517a3129cd5ef46c39.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Gorky said:

IMG_7795.jpg

Fantastic picture!

I can confirm large hail and strong winds near to Muston as I was under it. Video will be up tomorrow I hope.

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Wow i`m watching distance a lightning show   which only can be coming from the storm of Newcastle

424586614_55020.thumb.jpg.754ba4dadba2cd8e96270b56b72489e1.jpg

1805926063_55018.thumb.jpg.dd7a98c93c74f1517a3129cd5ef46c39.jpg

Aww, dammit, I was watching a horror movie, although my northerly view is somewhat blocked by nearby buildings, so I might not have been able to see it anyway.

• Like 1