Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted

You just don’t get the storms like we used to in this country anymore. I remember as a kid in the 90s early 00s you would get storms that lasted all night and I would still hear them rumbling away as I went to school in the morning. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Total bust here apart from a small bit of thunder. Looks like nothing now for the rest of the night. Gutted!

• Like 2

Posted

Absolute tosh. What does it take to get good storms in this country. 

That storm that passed leeds and went north through the dales, looked set to give barnard castle (of all places) a good hiding. Set up stall there just before it's arrival yet it died just a few miles before reaching..   Saw a couple of good cg's and a bit of heavy rainfall but that was it.

I remember a few years ago a couple of storms that developed towards manchester and clobbered the yorkshire dales with strike rates of upto 300/min, that's the animal I'm after.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hathers said:

You just don’t get the storms like we used to in this country anymore. I remember as a kid in the 90s early 00s you would get storms that lasted all night and I would still hear them rumbling away as I went to school in the morning. 

Ain't that the truth!

Can't complain about the Sheffield storm today but looking at the bigger picture I agree with you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
8 hours ago, Matty88 said:

I'm liking the comments here today  we seemed to do well with the last set of convergence storms, I won't believe my luck if the same happens today! My home seems to be right in the forecast charts firing line for this afternoons 'pop up' storms but I really do think it'll be hit and miss. Think I'll be out in the car later doing some fen storm chasing!! Fingers crossed I can make use of the pano roof 

How did it go for you Matt? Just got back to London. Lots of thunder but little lightning - some great cloud structure though. Will post some pics tonight/tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
9 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

I really like that area and know Dan is chasing there today, sadly other commitments curtail me but would be all over that Kings Lynn Risk.

Its 2c warmer here already than yesterdays top temperature, partly down to a southerly wind today and easterly yesterday

Wasn't too bad Paul. Be interesting to know how Dan got on. Constant thunder but very little lightning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
2 minutes ago, Kid Thunder said:

Ain't that the truth!

Can't complain about the Sheffield storm today but looking at the bigger picture I agree with you

Have we forgotten about last year? 23rd of July?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Ac cas now disappearing to my east, and a bank of cloud to my west, possibly cold front. Think this is done now for today here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Ac cas now disappearing to my east, and a bank of cloud to my west, possibly cold front. Think this is done now for today here. 

The sooner all his horrible humidity buggers off the better. I was up at 5:30 this morning (the first time since my Monday morning commutes, from Glenurquhart to Methil, way back in 1992!) and I don't want to be doing the same thing tomorrow!

Sod all on the thunder-front today, BTW: this morning's potential excitement amounted to nothing more than a couple hours' sporadic rain!:oldsad:

On a 'brighter' note, however, it has been Beccles's hottest day so far, this year: 28C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
37 minutes ago, P-M said:

Total bust here apart from a small bit of thunder. Looks like nothing now for the rest of the night. Gutted!

Are we not supposed to get something overnight, closer to the east coast the better 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Birmingham storm shield just a bit too strong today to allow any thunderstorms to smash through. The darn thing! Quite a let down as the Met Office for the Midlands seemed rather confident despite the hot and miss nature of storms. Probably shouldn’t complain, as did pretty well last week. Some spectacular thundery bangers for some further North though. 

Could be wrong, but can’t help but feel had this troughy, pokey, part of this Low been held back a little bit more South-West, it perhaps could have allowed more time for some storms to break out further South and West. Allowing more areas to also be exposed to the very warm and hot Southerly/South-Easterly flow for longer ahead of that Westerly to South-Westerly flow from the Atlantic. May have then encouraged more stormy activity further South-West (including the Midlands itself).

62831B36-7D08-48E1-A098-E4CEDAD9F021.thumb.jpeg.241aa7235eef4e8e00c5711025be3470.jpeg

Still a chance for some stormy surprises tomorrow, however, as the main area of the Low to our West edges in further North-East. Along with lowering 500mb heights, should bring about an assortment of showers and longer spells of rain for places, some of which could very well be thundery. Going to try not get too excited yet (especially with what happened today and the fact the storm shields in some areas could prove to be too tough)

Nonetheless, there was this interesting (Lenticular?) cloud I took earlier today in Eastern Solihull just before 12pm. View towards the North-West.

6D8F7C85-0C06-4BA8-B14C-8484E3328A1D.thumb.jpeg.c4ba70cd8ed75022cfb3e983f4e13fd2.jpeg

Worth adding as well that there was one point briefly where the sky became quite threatening, but not enough power in the convective clouds to slice apart the storm shield!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

What's going on in the North Sea?!

That thing developed out of nowhere.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

That's mother nature sticking her big middle sasusage finger up at each and every one of us! 

• Like 3

Posted

Nothing worse than getting a notification off the Met Office saying your Thunderstorm warning has been cancelled. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, Zak M said:

It's really going for it already

image.thumb.png.5495eb225397dffcff3cddb2eec4c7dc.png

• Like 2

Posted

Producing a very impressive amount of lightning from what looks like a small but heavy shower.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Producing a very impressive amount of lightning from what looks like a small but heavy shower.

Yes this

image.thumb.png.516cc7a7f3ef4f217447309a4a32231c.png

Is coming from this tiny thing

image.thumb.png.27b4e77d71a363cd1c6909c7f2b0934a.png

• Like 2

Posted

It looks very impressive!

MIDLIFEDAD.ME.UK

amateur weatherstaion in Freiston, Freiston webcam

north_image.thumb.jpg.eabd1edc03d0ed15eee716296838ccbf.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Currently sat on the coast of Bridlington wishing that storm in the North Sea to move northwestwards

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Yes this

image.thumb.png.516cc7a7f3ef4f217447309a4a32231c.png

Is coming from this tiny thing

image.thumb.png.27b4e77d71a363cd1c6909c7f2b0934a.png

Look at that hail core

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 21.55.44.png

• Like 4