Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted

Torro Update keeps the SE in the game maybe 

Morning folks - it was a lively night in some parts of the UK last night - of course, many areas didn't get any storms at all, which is generally the way it all works!

Today, the best chance for vigorous thunderstorm development appears to the this afternoon and evening from approx Manchester to Cambridge and then moving northwards, as a subtle upper trough moves in over the warm, moist low-level airmass.

Ahead of this, some activity may re-develop on the tail end of some showery rain across N England through late morning, then into S Scotland.

Between these 2 zones, an area of mid-level descent will likely suppress much development and allow some decent surface heating before the 2nd trough moves in.

A few severe storms may develop this afternoon/evening from the Mids, western E Anglia northwards into Lincs and parts of N England, perhaps with large hail/strong winds.

A more isolated severe storm threat may manifest itself as far SE as the London area this afternoon as the trough moves through.

A few storms may form today over N Ireland too.

Paul.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I’m in Stevenage, it’s clear blue sky...it was a false return I’m afraid

I've seen a few of those just wait a few minutes after the strike before thinking of reporting a single blip.

• Like 1

Posted

what time are we expecting the first developments to possibly appear on radar?

Posted

Fingers crossed some of us get the jackpot

Currently feeling very warm, still and humid In Harrogate (N.Yorks) Mammatus clouds above  

Car and camera ready....I’m a complete noob so hopefully I’ll get lucky

Good luck to all.

Benjamin 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Does any one know.. how far is lightning actually visible at night?  I am in Basingstoke, a good 25m inland and 2am today saw distant lightning to the s/se, even heard the faintest of thunder.  However lightning was nowhere near on the sferic maps..the closest was about 10m of the w Sussex coast at this point.  Just wondering if anyone can clarify?  Thanks 

• Like 1

Posted

Wasn't that band of cloud supposed to be a cold front as it certainly hasn't cooled down. Sunshine about to return to N Lincs now. Waiting to see what happens later on as BBC forecast mentioned storms but showed little if anything for anyone, even in the high risk areas

Posted

I can see lightning from France if there storm tops are high enough from here in Essex.

When I was out on Foulness Island once shooting the Milky Way we were picking up faint lightning in cloud tops in our pictures looking east and tracked the storm to West Germany so defo from your vantage point to off the coast would be doable

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It's dark and overcast here in Leeds with a passing shower.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

I can see lightning from France if there storm tops are high enough from here in Essex.

When I was out on Foulness Island once shooting the Milky Way we were picking up faint lightning in cloud tops in our pictures looking east and tracked the storm to West Germany so defo from your vantage point to off the coast would be doable

Oh so you have my vision I see?! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just hit 29.0c, dewpoints levelled off to 14.0c for now..I feel compelled to say it always impresses me how fast things develop, 20mins ago it was virtually cloudless, 10mins ago there were a few flecky teeny tiny cumulus and now there's lots of them, pretty meaty and starting to block out the sun

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Any chance for the south east again? and yeah the height of them clouds blows my mind

Posted
34 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Thinking of hitting up Ely/West Norfolk area. Always a great place to chase if a storm lands. 

I'm liking the comments here today  we seemed to do well with the last set of convergence storms, I won't believe my luck if the same happens today! My home seems to be right in the forecast charts firing line for this afternoons 'pop up' storms but I really do think it'll be hit and miss. Think I'll be out in the car later doing some fen storm chasing!! Fingers crossed I can make use of the pano roof 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Looks like the death of the cone has really brought some wonders to Essex! I wonder if @Zak M can see those as well!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Current conditions here IMG_20200626_121849.thumb.jpg.0281c2d384a58d5b6aca5871c6258120.jpgIMG_20200626_121837.thumb.jpg.02e60aead3dac9608099cae230d978e1.jpgIMG_20200626_121831.thumb.jpg.6ba12d8ded3c9189e5973a28c1511c8d.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I personally think there is a chance overnight, all this heat which is 3c over what they expected could spark off something closer to our shores or storms in France could graze us.

Arome 06z does not think so.

The other thing is the Cold Front is racing in from the west already just west of Bristol, if this can keep away more of a chance to hold the plume longer.

You never know if its quicker it might ignite some cells as well

• Like 1

Posted

27c with 15c dewpoints i think, some cumulus starting to pop up now as well

cant say im hopefully as i seem to be out of most forecasters risk zones but i can hope lol.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Looks like the death of the cone has really brought some wonders to Essex! I wonder if @Zak M can see those as well!  

Well they ruined mine and Peter Scotts pictures really as had a nice view to the east and kept getting a white band where the cloud tops were lighting up 

When I looked at the radar when I got home was expecting a storm in Benelux but nope nearest was Germany, this was a good 6 years ago mind, will have to dig out the pics one day

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Can see towering cumulus now to my North West. Quick look on visible cloud satellite shows some over west Norfolk just gone up in the last 10 mins. Expect the radar to show something there in the next 30 mins.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

Just hit 29.0c, dewpoints levelled off to 14.0c for now..I feel compelled to say it always impresses me how fast things develop, 20mins ago it was virtually cloudless, 10mins ago there were a few flecky teeny tiny cumulus and now there's lots of them, pretty meaty and starting to block out the sun

ok so not even 10 minutes later and there's now a tower to my north, and dewpoint gone up by almost a degree to 14.8c..