Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder
Just now, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

I can really smell the moisture and humidity in the air when I open my window here in south London so I think it is getting muggier

and all the birds have been quiet for around 30 mins and to the south of my house the sky has faint clouds but its like a blanket

1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

It looks like the stuff leaving France will slide East of here.

Right no laughing, but normally I'd expect storms to fire in the 'Red Baguette' zone and move NNE, however looks like this areas is possibly too heavily capped leaving it very touch and go. I can't see any Ac Cas with concerns me a little as would normally be able to do so even though my view is blocked to the south as in something of a valley!

Annotation 2020-06-25 201734.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
23 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

Yeah that could be a worry, but maybe it’ll be a late one, we need something closer to the south coast

I’ve seen this before the June 2014 storms over the south. Clear sky completely, storms initiated over the channel at about 10pm but didn’t get to land until just before midnight I think

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Yep. There's no signs of instability at the mid-levels here, just the odd bit of Cirrus.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Well whatever was going on to my west has quickly collapsed. It was certainly having a go for a moment there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
1 minute ago, Sam Jackson said:

and all the birds have been quiet for around 30 mins and to the south of my house the sky has faint clouds but its like a blanket

What are the signs from birds and other animals that indicate storms could be approaching? 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

I can really smell the moisture and humidity in the air when I open my window here in south London so I think it is getting muggier

Its surprising as London is actually quite 'dry', dew points only around 10-12C currently. It probably just feels warmer as the winds is probably dropping out now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
2 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

What are the signs from birds and other animals that indicate storms could be approaching? 

the poop on the cars when a close CG hits

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Its surprising as London is actually quite 'dry', dew points only around 10-12C currently. It probably just feels warmer as the winds is probably dropping out now. 

Yeah I don’t know. The air has just got that smell. It could just be my nose getting overexcited 

Posted
Just now, Gordon Webb said:

the poop on the cars when a close CG hits

????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder
4 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

A busy bird feeder means bad weather is coming. Birds singing in the rain means the rain will soon stop. Birds eat more just before a storm. When birds stop singing and the trees start swinging, a storm is on its way i just asked my grandfather and thats what he told me

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
10 minutes ago, Gord said:

I can see towers going up way out to my west. Checked the radar and sure enough, a little development near Shrewsbury.

I was just wondering when the rib of cloud to the West of us   will start to develop

capture-20200625-202404.thumb.png.578cf068a9ec9999c3a06bfca885bf4f.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Yep. There's no signs of instability at the mid-levels here, just the odd bit of Cirrus.

Fair amount of mid level instability here in West Somerset

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Right no laughing, but normally I'd expect storms to fire in the 'Red Baguette' zone and move NNE, however looks like this areas is possibly too heavily capped leaving it very touch and go. I can't see any Ac Cas with concerns me a little as would normally be able to do so even though my view is blocked to the south as in something of a valley!

The capping kind of fits the Estofex lightning line 

Posted
1 hour ago, A.J said:

if lightning from that hits drift-wood, will it be 'Smoke on the Water' ?....I'll fetch me coat

I'm disappointed nobody picked up on the Twister reference!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

This to my nw. 

IMG_20200625_202518.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...
3 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

I was just wondering when the rib of cloud to the West of us   will start to develop

Have had a bit of rain from part of the “rib” 

It’s looking like this underneath it 

9E7BAB6A-906C-43EE-9E86-4B2F5A308C9D.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Indeed. You can see that it wants to do something. It certainly looks unstable in that direction. The setting sun highlights it quite well too...even if it is making it look more interesting than it actually is!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
12 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Doesn't matter if the area highlighted is capped. Any storms tonight spawning over the English Channel will form above the boundary layer and as a result will be elevated. Lack of AcCas may be as a result of limited moisture. GFS showing PWAT values to significantly increase midnight into the early hours. The storms on the picture you have posted coincides with the high PWAT values.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
34 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've just picked up lightning activity. It must be my new siting that causes it to pick up discharges from further away?! 

What are you using? The WeatherFlow? I’ve got mine and it’s working well, very good lightning detection.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Though it’s a very faint memory, I believe it was July 1999, I remember looking out my window before bed, and the sky was like it is now, brilliantly blue with no sign at all of anything at all! I never thought in a million years I’d be waking up 6 to 8 hours later thinking that the world is coming to an end. The sound of the extreme rain is what initially woke me up, but then a huge evil rumble of thunder followed. I remember daring not to even open my eyes! I must’ve been 7 years old. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1