Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
Just now, Jamiee said:

Didn't expect that all when I looked at them. We just need ignition then boom.

Yep, hills and a shortwave should be able to, hopefully .

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

I’ve got a hunch that tomorrow afternoon’s SB activity is currently being underplayed, models are notoriously with them in particular anyway..maybe I’m being optimistic but based on what I’ve seen there’s no reason to believe it’ll be restricted to just far eastern/north eastern counties, proper ingredients are in place well away from there.

edit: met office have increased likelihood on tomorrow’s warning, shape looks similar? I suppose that was always expected however. 

Environment is too capped (CIN shaded green, CAPE shaded orange) across SE England for surface-based storms on Friday afternoon, the hot air is just too deep to overcome the cap - you would need surface temperatures of around 34C or higher, and even then the profile is very dry aloft. This does not rule out the odd elevated shower/storm developing, but most of these will have cleared to the east by the afternoon - and the morning cloud cover associated with these may also hinder surface temperatures somewhat.

Conversely NW England has much less capping, and with surface temperatures of 25C or higher, and dewpoints in the mid-high teens, the forecast profiles yield substantial CAPE and likely explosive and potentially severe thunderstorm development.

tephis.thumb.png.ab24df0ea94b14be15235614208988bd.png

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Environment is too capped (CIN shaded green, CAPE shaded orange) across SE England for surface-based storms on Friday afternoon, the hot air is just too deep to overcome the cap - you would need surface temperatures of around 34C or higher, and even then the profile is very dry aloft. This does not rule out the odd elevated shower/storm developing, but most of these will have cleared to the east by the afternoon - and the morning cloud cover associated with these may also hinder surface temperatures somewhat.

Conversely NW England has much less capping, and surface temperatures of 25C or higher, and dewpoints in the mid-high teens, the forecast profiles yield substantial CAPE and likely explosive and potentially severe thunderstorm development.

what about the rain coming into the south west, is that the trough coming in quicker?

Edited by viking_smb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

for NW England  I think everything will be over by the time the warning  startes at 12:00 on Friday. Don’t really understand the timings. That’s going by WRF but it may just be for me on the coast with the dreaded sea-breeze. Saturday morning looks very good now before the wind veers to the west again..

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Arome 00z had these areas of Storms initiating this morning at 10z drifting towards SE Ireland and West Wales which could scupper the bigger Surface Based Risk limiting solar heating with cloud debris and anvil shield

i love it when you talk technical.....ooooorrrrghghgh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Its a Birthday for the Cone and Triangle today

11 months since the last Cg Strike. 

Can we make it to July 25th - Still quietly confident lol

I shall not be taking any chances and will be out and about in the early hours favouring the Channel Coast somewhere in Hampshire I would think

paul, where abouts and is that tonight into tomorrow early hours or friday night into sats early hours?

Posted
52 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Solid Target Area Tom 

Pm me if your in the area as would like to meet an fellow chaser

Posted
21 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Conversely NW England has much less capping, and with surface temperatures of 25C or higher, and dewpoints in the mid-high teens, the forecast profiles yield substantial CAPE and likely explosive and potentially severe thunderstorm development.

How’s it looking for the East Midlands in relation to this? Thanks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
6 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

image.thumb.png.2e300f9dda0b3555004a9c87dc88cb9e.png

Looks decent. No 34c cap. Wouldn't rule out a storm.

PS:

My skills at reading SkewTs are shoddy so I could be completely wrong.

Edited by Jamiee
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Pm me if your in the area as would like to meet an fellow chaser

Will do

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Latest MetO rain prediction update less impressive across S/SE tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Latest MetO rain prediction update less impressive across S/SE tomorrow morning.

image.thumb.png.4e42334b4a29070071d45706ccc94bd5.pngimage.thumb.png.8c677f32991654970379b79d70d0e4d9.png

Not too good.

Posted

Arpege and Arome both keep everything wayyy to the west of me. 
HIRLAM looks a little better - a 50 mile shunt east would be the jackpot.

GFS probably the pick of the bunch. 

Really would like to see the better higher res models start shunting this thing east. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Currently shown thunderstorms on Windy app.

FC222371-F812-4737-B850-A8FCBE220EF7.png

Omg if that stuff in france stays as it is the whole south will get hammered, and if it moves north, whole UK. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

for NW England  I think everything will be over by the time the warning  startes at 12:00 on Friday. Don’t really understand the timings. That’s going by WRF but it may just be for me on the coast with the dreaded sea-breeze. Saturday morning looks very good now before the wind veers to the west again..

Check the euro 4, aperge etc. They have the first thundery band reaching northwest England around midday and then as this moves north/northeast, further cells develop over us as well as northeast Wales and North Mids.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

For the East Midlands (profiles below from west Lincs) there is potential for elevated thunderstorms during the middle of the day, rooted from around the ~750mb layer, so bases would be around 8-9,000ft. 

The low-level environment is capped to surface-based convection until perhaps late afternoon or evening, and so it's a bit touch-and-go as to whether something can fire, but if it does it's more likely during the evening hours... 

tephis2.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Jamiee said:

UKWW Forecast from Tony 

"UPDATE 8am Thurs

As per earlier forecast with following comments;

Broad variation in the models regarding timing. The outlook could start earlier today?

Using WRF Risk period adjusted potentially from 14z-03z and includes an extension of overnight elevated thunderstorms from 00z SW, Wales and Central regions.

WRF now increases 0-3km SRH potentially to 360 m/s2 SW and Wales 16z-22z. This is ample rotation for a severe thunderstorm with a low level mesocyclone. A risk of tornadoes is now also included for this zone. The risk of a tornado for Wales is now higher that Ireland and Scotland. Particular interest in the Carmarthen region. The caveat here for this region is that a strong layer of low level CIN may cause storms to root from above this layer for the whole of the risk period.

According to the WRF upper winds remain moderate. Models have further increased CAPE potential to 3000 j/kg. This combined with an elevated trop could see storms pushing above 200 mb. We therefore have the potential for large and damaging hail."

risk copy.jpg

Is this for today into tomorrow, or tomorrow into Saturday ?

Posted
Just now, ancientsolar said:

Is this for today into tomorrow, or tomorrow into Saturday ?

For today into tomorrow 

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

For today into tomorrow 

Thanks! 

All eyes to the South then 
I'm wondering if there's any elevated lightning in the SW which won't be picked up by the lightning detectors

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Latest MetO video forecast showed much more widespread rain across the SE than that so I’m very confused

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis

Posted

certainly looking like this warm spell is going to end on a whimper for here, maybe a bit of light rain tomorrow and saturday looking wet but no storms currently forecast.

Posted
14 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Omg if that stuff in france stays as it is the whole south will get hammered, and if it moves north, whole UK. 

To be honest running the app’s timeline it doesn’t show much thunder activity affecting the UK over the next few days. Certainly nothing like indicated down in southern France.