Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
1 minute ago, bradleywx said:

Elevated storms on offer here too Fri am, course whatever happens it'll end up being either west cornwall or east kent stealing the show

image.thumb.png.d8710df48d8edeec7ab882faeefab217.png

it will be interesting friday morning in work then, but it is too far out yet, lets look at it properly on weds, as others have said it usually gets corrected eastwards, towards kent.

Edited by viking_smb
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The forecasting has changed quite a bit each run so far so could all disappear or get even better in the next few days

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Just a little teaser from the UKV:

viewimage.thumb.png.b76c3c90229b9194b9720870839a69a1.png 1399130732_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f02485d0a0870dc98fb3b23749c6c3a7.png

No MLCAPE to look at on this model, yet. However, it's likely that there's plenty of it to support some elevated stuff. Still too early to worry about any fine details. And after last week, optimism is lower than a snakes bum.

IF there any storms for the SE on Friday, literally 10:00 - 12:30 in the day is the worst possible time - and increasingly looking like a plausible evolution

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
1 minute ago, Harry said:

IF there any storms for the SE on Friday, literally 10:00 - 12:30 in the day is the worst possible time - and increasingly looking like a plausible evolution

Beggars can't be choosers I guess. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still 3 days away it will more than likely be a Kent clipper by then! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Just a little teaser from the UKV:

viewimage.thumb.png.b76c3c90229b9194b9720870839a69a1.png 1399130732_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f02485d0a0870dc98fb3b23749c6c3a7.png

No MLCAPE to look at on this model, yet. However, it's likely that there's plenty of it to support some elevated stuff. Still too early to worry about any fine details. And after last week, optimism is lower than a snakes bum.

I'll bank that chart. Hopefully west is best chance for storms this week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
37 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

Beggars can't be choosers I guess. 

Too true

37 minutes ago, TomW said:

Still 3 days away it will more than likely be a Kent clipper by then! 

Thats the hope I have

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Harry said:

Timings like that don't give me much hope for anything more than just 'thundery showers'. But again, it's still too early to take this as gospel, there's still plenty of room for change. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Latest ECM looking more interesting. Showing most of the country sweeped with storms from w/sw to e/ne. Would love it if it happened at night though (if it does happen at all - bit of pessimism just in case) I’m itching for a lovely night time electrical storm! 

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Some pics of last Wednesday's storms, taken locally..

storm2.thumb.jpg.dab43e00b170eeded34d4394dd472ebc.jpg     storm1.thumb.jpg.ec5bf47942e06bcf4cf2f397d1bea5d4.jpg     storm4.thumb.jpg.8aaaae94172b44407c02f5d59f405dc6.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Latest GFS back on track for some night time fireworks, but looking at it, I wouldn't be going to bed until 6am...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Latest ECM run looking even better than the last. Been very consistent with this thundery plume coming up from the south on Thursday/Friday so far. At the moment most of the action seems to take place during the day. I would happily wait till the evening to get a proper light show though! Kind of hoping it arrives later if all goes this way. GFS looking more favourable for night time storms across the south west but with slow progress east/northeast later on in the day. 

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis
  • Like 1

Posted

As others have said It looks likely storms will break out in the south west in the early hours of a Friday and push north east to reach central areas by late morning. I’m hoping it starts a bit earlier as a night show is better. At the moment it will be getting light (4am) even when it hits the south west.

This is from he ECM & GFS ....

88192EEB-5ACD-4134-8F0B-11CBBBA72456.jpeg

AAD2DF80-5D80-4FB4-BD28-47713FCDE006.jpeg

59A1B7B6-4793-42E8-AAD9-DE3BCFFCA2FF.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
14 hours ago, The PIT said:

The forecasting has changed quite a bit each run so far so could all disappear or get even better in the next few days

:crazy:

This.

If ever a post sums up the weather  - all four seasons - this forum and everthing totally associated with it.

Is it.

• Like 4

Timing is everything, as well know good storms through the morning period are unusual so either need to speed up the cold front moving east so it comes through Thursday evening, also would allow it to probably be a little sharper and be able to tap into more energy (however for many this could remove the warmth much quicker) or delay through to Friday evening to give another hot day for many, the Friday morning option is the poorest outcome I would think crrently. Arpege really wasn't onboard with anything particularly exciting this morning, will be interesting what Arome makes of the situation. Still more runs needs, we'll probably still be guessing at what'll happen about 9pm on Thursday....

Posted

I don’t agree re Friday morning possibly being a bad outcome.

This Friday should have been Glastonbury Friday and by coincidence a cold front moved across on the Friday of Glastonbury in 2005 giving numerous severe storms, including the famous shot of the pyramid stage being struck by lightning.

At that time I lived in Westbury and remember we had at least 8 separate storms between 04.00-13.00!

I do agree that it’s better at night for viewing lightning when the storms are not over your location, I said the same last Tuesday afternoon.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

I don’t agree re Friday morning possibly being a bad outcome.

This Friday should have been Glastonbury Friday and by coincidence a cold front moved across on the Friday of Glastonbury in 2005 giving numerous severe storms, including the famous shot of the pyramid stage being struck by lightning.

At that time I lived in Westbury and remember we had at least 8 separate storms between 04.00-13.00!

I do agree that it’s better at night for viewing lightning when the storms are not over your location, I said the same last Tuesday afternoon.

What a day of storms that was! Shortly followed by the legendary 28th.

• Like 2

Posted

Man I remember that Glastonbury 05 event , fresh out of Uni working in a factory too clear debts etc but could listen too radio all day.  Remember Jo Wiley was about too go live from the festival when power cut and she had too occasionally phone in with updates whilst they put emergency power on.  Sounded an awesome storm !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

The predicted eastward shift has kicked in on GFS 6z!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
12 minutes ago, Lance M said:

The predicted eastward shift has kicked in on GFS 6z!

I would have rather preferred the eastward shift taking place tomorrow 

Let's hope it stays that way...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

If it doesn’t continue the eastward shift then it wouldn’t be the worst outcome, of course it’s almost inevitable it will as that’s what always happens  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

If it doesn’t continue the eastward shift then it wouldn’t be the worst outcome, of course it’s almost inevitable it will as that’s what always happens  

At least the Atlantic isn't shown to be progressive until at least Friday night, so I've got faith it won't get shunted over to being a Kent clipper, but it's always a possibility of course!

• Like 1