Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Not surprised if the breeze is anything like it is here

Yeh and i wish that that wind would do one,quiet breezy here too plus the lightning is sporadic in nature due to pulse type storms

cannot wait for later this week,no work this week for me so i will be out ⛈️'s

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

An unexpected couple of cells just past through Birmingham..and on their way to Derby...a couple of strikes just south of Tamworth....nothing heard...but hey we might get lucky with some of the cells coming in from the SW

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Cell over Rugely heading to Burton

1055736852_01004.thumb.jpg.6fcf9eec0315083b32476ac0e9044357.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wind is  more or less off the sea, but still getting heavy showers and lightning not that far inland. Currently having a heavy shower which feels like it may electrify at any time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

More JFF stuff at the range of 4 nights away, but I'm liking the consistency of GFS with this plume on all of today's runs so far.

Screenshot_20200621-171910.png

Screenshot_20200621-171953.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
35 minutes ago, Lance M said:

More JFF stuff at the range of 4 nights away, but I'm liking the consistency of GFS with this plume on all of today's runs so far.

Screenshot_20200621-171910.png

Screenshot_20200621-171953.png

Now THAT would be a perfect setup ?? ⛈ 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
4 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Absolutely! And I'm not at work this week, so I'd be free to get in position and stay out snapping pics all night with no fear of being a zombie the next day. Let's hope '3 hot days and a thunderstorm' makes its grand comeback this week!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Like @Zak M said: Welcome to another episode of impossible charts! On S3 Ep.1 we have an exciting feature of 3000j/kg of CAPE across the country displayed beautifully by the NetWx-MR! Will probably never happen but still fun to look at! 

Come back tomorrow for more on the reality TV Show: Impossible Charts!

viewimage (1).png

I’ve got important work meetings Friday morning so this wouldn’t be suitable

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!

Hi, good little storm just passed over Cleethorpes,  constant thunder as it approached then rain which then went to a hailstorm with a few CG's thrown into the mix,  heading out over the Humber now and getting muggy again here.

Cheers Glenn

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
2 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

An unexpected couple of cells just past through Birmingham..and on their way to Derby...a couple of strikes just south of Tamworth....nothing heard...but hey we might get lucky with some of the cells coming in from the SW

One CG here knocked out our power in Ripley earlier.  8-9 deep booms of thunder and  heavy rain for about 15 mins.A good show here.Best for the last 3-4 years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Like @Zak M said: Welcome to another episode of impossible charts! On S3 Ep.1 we have an exciting feature of 3000j/kg of CAPE across the country displayed beautifully by the NetWx-MR! Will probably never happen but still fun to look at! 

Come back tomorrow for more on the reality TV Show: Impossible Charts!

viewimage (1).png

I thought we had very high amounts of Cape last summer during the very hot spell when it hit 38C but there was just no trigger at all & it all shunted away at the end anyway. Surely cape means nothing without a trigger?

Although I understand it's all about the 'potential'!

Edited by Vestan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
56 minutes ago, Vestan said:

I thought we had very high amounts of Cape last summer during the very hot spell when it hit 38C but there was just no trigger at all & it all shunted away at the end anyway. Surely cape means nothing without a trigger?

I believe the huge MCS that went up the East coast gobbled all the energy up. Thankful I got to witness it however on the Norfolk coast. Mad how the temp got down to 18c, and then travelling back inland after midnight, it shot up to 27c. Never known weather like it! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
13 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Spot on for here, not even a single distant rumble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
2 hours ago, Vestan said:

Yep nothing got triggered & I'm pretty sure the MCS from France that became a Kent Clipper may have taken the energy with it. I think it's more likely that nothing triggered. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Eye to the sky said:

One CG here knocked out our power in Ripley earlier.  8-9 deep booms of thunder and  heavy rain for about 15 mins.A good show here.Best for the last 3-4 years.

And yet a few miles away in Belper there was nothing. When you say best for last 3-4 years, did you not get the storm on Wednesday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 hours ago, Supacell said:

Unfortunately I am back working from the office next week after 3 months working from home. Perfect timing! Then again, if I had been back last Monday I would have been annoyed as I would have missed out on  3 of the 5 days I chased on, following what was a terrible spring for convective action.

Speaking of which, here's my last video from last week as storms came into my area of Mid Derbyshire during the late afternoon on the 17th.

Well i have just watched all of your videos Karl and thanks,who would want to watch a movie when you have these storm videos,you must of put some miles in last week,how many miles all together did you do?

i nearly jaffa cakesed myself when that car splashed you ha! ha! and i bet that you nearly crapped yourself with that close thunder and i saw a slight shake of the cam

that continuous thunder would of been great at night like you say but a great watch all the same with a good few Cg's in the mix

oh! and that hairy moment on the road when you veered off,keep your eye on the road and not in the clouds when you are driving

thanks again mate,i enjoyed watching then

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Not for me it ain't! I'm right where the hole in the middle is!!!!    

4 hours ago, Vestan said:

a few weak unorganised SB cells developed over north london and drifted north at around 5pm iirc, incredible cloudscapes but as I said storm wise nothing too out of the ordinary, even with all that CAPE..yet was still above 30c at 10pm even after torrential downpours a few hours earlier, now that was crazy.

Posted
6 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Well i have just watched all of your videos Karl and thanks,who would want to watch a movie when you have these storm videos,you must of put some miles in last week,how many miles all together did you do?

i nearly jaffa cakesed myself when that car splashed you ha! ha! and i bet that you nearly crapped yourself with that close thunder and i saw a slight shake of the cam

that continuous thunder would of been great at night like you say but a great watch all the same with a good few Cg's in the mix

oh! and that hairy moment on the road when you veered off,keep your eye on the road and not in the clouds when you are driving

thanks again mate,i enjoyed watching then

Thats awesome mate, thanks for watching them all

I did not count my miles exactly and the milometer on my car is not showing as the bulb has gone, but it was 3 full tanks of petrol plus a bit, so over a thousand in total (from Sat to Wed).

Yes I have been splashed and I have nearly aquaplaned off the road haha. This is the first time I have literally almost come off the road and believe me, I was more shaken up than I allowed myself to sound. There was a lorry right behind me too. Thats one of my nine lives gone! The close thunder did make me jump, I couldn't hide that one so well

I will hopefully be out again later in the week but I am back in the office from today. Bonus is I finish at 1pm on Friday, but ideally I want the storms to come at night as I expect they could be quite spectacular if they do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
8 hours ago, Supacell said:

And yet a few miles away in Belper there was nothing. When you say best for last 3-4 years, did you not get the storm on Wednesday?

On par with that!

• Like 1