Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
7 minutes ago, Cornishdave said:

Although we largely missed out on overhead storms here in Exeter I have to say I’m a little disappointed by the negativity on the page. There’s been some fantastic cloudscapes, storm clouds and structures we rarely see in this country, I’ve seen so many “it missed me by 3 miles” and I’m thinking I’d be in my car, on a bike, even on foot if there’s a chance that close? I photographed storms 20 miles from me whilst sat in the sun having a beer listening to distant thunder which was amazing. 

Agreed - providing people have some form of transport obviously. Yesterday I covered 220 miles from work, 8 hours on the road - - for a few flashes, Altho the cells I followed over Merksham was something I’ve not seen before being on high ground. Some people would like to storm to come to them, unfortunately it doesn’t happen like that. 
Fine difference between storm chasers and weather enthusiasts  

This was the cell from Merksham which the camera doesn’t do it justice 

7DE84697-3013-464E-954F-35433C6EC3F0.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
3 minutes ago, Lu. said:

Agreed - providing people have some form of transport obviously. Yesterday I covered 220 miles from work, 8 hours on the road - - for a few flashes, Altho the cells I followed over Merksham was something I’ve not seen before being on high ground. Some people would like to storm to come to them, unfortunately it doesn’t happen like that. 
Fine difference between storm chasers and weather enthusiasts  

This was the cell from Merksham which the camera doesn’t do it justice 

7DE84697-3013-464E-954F-35433C6EC3F0.jpeg

I definitely would have gone out chasing this week if it wasn't for work. I'd already booked next week off so it was too late to change my mind. Maybe I'll get to chase next week if some of the talk in here of the potential comes off! I'm not religious but it might be time to pray to Thor.

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just seen on a Facebook group that apparently there was a waterspout in Southampton Water this morning 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
2 minutes ago, Lance M said:

I definitely would have gone out chasing this week if it wasn't for work. I'd already booked next week off so it was too late to change my mind. Maybe I'll get to chase next week if some of the talk in here of the potential comes off! I'm not religious but it might be time to pray to Thor.

Heres hoping definitely need something down south, luck of the draw. I don’t go chasing  every single storm btw - I do work just seems there’s people few & far between on here that get out (I know we all have different set ups)
Good luck for next week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

And the first sferic of the day goes to ... Southampton

Perhaps some evidence too that if this cloudy muck can naff off there is some potential juice for others to join in the party  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Ive seen some cloud scapes which if you are under it you never see ! Not the best image i captured yesterday but it is an example of what can be seen from the coast . This was a developing storm inland around the Crewkerne Somerset Dorset border area.....

I must say the area of rain over a large part of England and Wales is quite impressive today, quite rare id say with its development. .......

20200617_144717.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Gotta say Dan it is very comprehendable and bold you putting the Slight over the Cone today but early signs are any convergence zones are staying well away. Some fair weather clouds out east and blue skies now in the Estuary looking like a lovely afternoon coming up. Trying the negative thoughts thing now lol

Onto next weeks risks now

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Signs of another cut off low forming next week actually looking at the charts and the way the jet stream is behaving. Alright, I’ll stop talking about next weeks possible potential now I can’t help it. 

Posted

I'm under a bonkers convergence zone, and I honestly cannot tell which showers are coming and which are going on the radar. If only we'd had some heat and less cloud,  this would go BOOM

Posted

Can see blue sky here still some cloud about.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Signs of another cut off low forming next week actually looking at the charts and the way the jet stream is behaving. Alright, I’ll stop talking about next weeks possible potential now I can’t help it. 

Yes, let's behave about next week... 
Just a normal week ... nothing to see here... avoid giving any nothing any attention and like a shy squirrel nothing will come closer 

Posted

There is hope

20200618_121818.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Torro have released a Convective Chat which takes the SE out of the game completely.

Cone lives on - Am very confident we can now get to 12 months without a cg 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Torro have released a Convective Chat which takes the SE out of the game completely.

I had 23 months until Tuesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Haha! Can see the edge of this cloudy mess and some blue sky approaching from the SE - come along now! Even if no storms will be nice for a bit of sun and warmth

Lots of low rotating scud just inland from Bournemouth 

actually I’m stood under a broad area of rotation right at Bournemouth uni

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Just for the record cumulus is going west to east here, and the stuff from the channel north east, but for lower wind directions, I think that is actually right. Its just there is no storm energy. 

I am not giving up hope for you southerners yet.

The Netweather RADAR clearly shows the convergence zone over the M4.

To the south the showers are pepping up. Over SE England they are starting to progress northwards behind the low as it passes thru Central Southern England.

The fact that the showers are turning thundery in the Solent and remaining a bit static,  is I think a very hopeful sign that some others may well break out, and move into the southern areas..

Perhaps I am punch drunk, but I am optimistic for you?

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3

Posted

Screenshot_20200618-123313_Facebook.thumb.jpg.0d1a6b62a6023a6a6f8b5ba25c7d056d.jpg

Just saw this on Facebook a road in Weston, Southampton. I'm probably 10 minute drive from there and barely had any heavy rain the last hour or so but it's near! 

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

I am not giving up hope for you southerners yet.

The Netweather RADAR clearly shows the convergence zone over the M4.

To the south the showers are pepping up. Over SE England they are starting to progress northwards behind the low as it passes thru Central Southern England.

The fact that the showers are turning thundery in the Solent and remaining a bit static,  is I think a very hopeful sign that some others may well break out, and move into the southern areas..

Perhaps I am punch drunk, but I am optimistic for you?

MIA

I'm under the convergence zone, and the rain is now coming from the west and intensifying. A bit of heat and we could've had a lovely thunderstorm soup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
26 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Almost 36 months here!!