Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

With a slight break in convective activity for a few hours I thought an ideal opportunitiy to start a new thread.

After a very quiet spring for thunderstorms the weather has turned much more volatile with numerous daily thunderstorms over the past few days. More thunderstorms are possible today and tomorrow before a bit of a change. Some charts are showing more storm potential next week. So, continue the discussion here. Please keep on topic and leave general weather discussion, venting about a lack of storms or anything else to the relevant areas of the forum.

Old thread below:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Bums I wanted to reply to some earlier posts and now I can’t

You still can, just quote them in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Don't know if they'll do anything, but a couple of showers in the channel that seem to be moving slowly north or north east already. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Loved the Brumnado video. Looked like you may have got a funnel in there but it’s hard to tell. Looks very similar to what I saw over near Hungerford - black creeping sky, but it wasn’t electrical at all. Here’s some pics of it:

05C526B3-5463-4898-984B-FC9599E61AF5.jpeg

913CBDAE-8F7A-402D-BE02-BAAC57F9B9DD.jpeg

84F46E68-8CF4-449B-B191-9822C36E41A9.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

There was no quote option

I have unlocked the old thread so you can quote the post you wanted to quote. But please quote in this thread

Posted

It looks like one of them has lightning, shame its not in this rain lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Loadsa lovely rain! No thunder but, hey, the rain's what we need!:yahoo:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
13 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Anyone else got problems accessing UKWW thunderstorm forum? I just get a server error. Can’t log in either

I don't seem to have any problems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Loadsa lovely rain! No thunder but, hey, the rain's what we need!:yahoo:

I woke up this morning and saw that my rain gauge had a lovely 16mm of rain in it! Lovely for the garden whether it was from convection or not.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm surprised this morning - where has this rain come from? Yesterday's forecast only mentioned a front going through East Anglia only but the rain covers all of southern England, Midlands and Wales. I'm getting some heavy bursts here on the south coast. It's most unexpected and welcome!  That full 22 degree halo I saw yesterday was right then.

Edited by MR CB
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
3 minutes ago, MR CB said:

I'm surprised this morning - where has this rain come from? Yesterday's forecast only mentioned a front going through East Anglia only but the rain covers all of southern England, Midlands and Wales. I'm getting some heavy bursts here on the south coast. It's most unexpected and welcome!  That full 22 degree halo I saw yesterday was right then.

To be honest I am not sure how unexpected it is, given that the Met Office had a rain warning for lots of the areas you mentioned. But I do agree that it was more rain then I thought would happen, and like you said, that is definitely welcome! It's also a nice surprise to have those early T-Storms in the channel.

• Like 2

Well the radar and model output is disappointing for today, AROME and EURO4 yesterday had the rain about 50-75miles further north allowing convective activity to break out over the south, looks like our only opportunity of the week has been stolen.

Edited by Guest

Posted

Us southerners need that front to break up and some breaks in the cloud to allow convection. Don’t forget it’s almost the longest day of the year so plenty of time for that ! I expect it will break up around lunchtime and then towards evening we will see some storms break out.

Dan mentions London and home counties as the place to be in this mornings update.

F5053B5E-8A5C-4E3A-81E8-F144C57CA4CE.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Us southerners need that front to break up and some breaks in the cloud to allow convection. Don’t forget it’s almost the longest day of the year so plenty of time for that ! I expect it will break up around lunchtime and then towards evening we will see some storms break out.

Dan mentions London and home counties as the place to be in this mornings update.

Yet again the risk areas avoid York and East Yorkshire. Bloody typical. Boring weather here for ages

Posted
14 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Dan is normally spot on, but this cloud will need some serious energy to shift.  Still, it's early days and anything can happen.

Posted

I can see blue sky to my south now, and the clouds from the showers in the channel. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
25 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

And, what with the onshore breeze being knocked on the head, at last, some of us over here in the ToD might be in with a shout, later this afternoon? The CoS looks like it could be in the firing line...Very unusual!:yahoo:

• Like 1