Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion 17/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Already at 30C in Solihull. Humidity making it feel worse. We had hotter on Friday 31st July but there was a breeze and it felt like a dry heat.

Posted

32C now, this wasn't in the forecast. When the wind dies down you can really feel it and it becomes very uncomfortable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Thunder rumbling around but that perishing sun has come back out - really do wish this heat would do one now, totally fed up with it.  It has gone very black to the north and the wind did pick up but has dropped again.  I’ve been struggling to keep my foster cat cool all afternoon whose nursing 3 three day old kittens.  She has felt the heat today so I’ve had to sponge her down with cold water.  So hoping that storm develops and clears the air somewhat.  

Edited by Snowycat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.
43 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Thunder rumbling around but that perishing sun has come back out - really do wish this heat would do one now, totally fed up with it.  It has gone very black to the north and the wind did pick up but has dropped again.  I’ve been struggling to keep my foster cat cool all afternoon whose nursing 3 three day old kittens.  She has felt the heat today so I’ve had to sponge her down with cold water.  So hoping that storm develops and clears the air somewhat.  

I do sympathise, Snowycat! We also have a cat with kittens, but they're older now and she's able to go out and about, even so she's clearly not happy and is flopped down in the shade outside when not with the kittens, who seem oblivious to the heat and are trashing everything (they're 12 weeks old now). It's starting to cloud over here, lots of lightning strikes on the radar coming closer. Last night was horribly humid, I don't really expect to get any sleep tonight unless it cools off a bit after the storms.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Nudged up to 32.2 °C at most, which is exactly 90 °F. And sheesh, doesn't it feel it. Currently a "mere" 31.3 °C, but with 49% humidity it's pretty uncomfortable. No storms currently, though it does now feel a bit thundery and radar shows some pretty beefy stuff not far away, notably in the Wolverhampton area.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Barbmac said:

I do sympathise, Snowycat! We also have a cat with kittens, but they're older now and she's able to go out and about, even so she's clearly not happy and is flopped down in the shade outside when not with the kittens, who seem oblivious to the heat and are trashing everything (they're 12 weeks old now). It's starting to cloud over here, lots of lightning strikes on the radar coming closer. Last night was horribly humid, I don't really expect to get any sleep tonight unless it cools off a bit after the storms.

I sympathise as well, I fostered 6 x 12 week old kittens last autumn.....boy they go mad at times don’t they, I was the climbing frame   It’s started to rain really quite heavily here now and the thunder rumbles on.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Nudged up to 32.2 °C at most, which is exactly 90 °F. And sheesh, doesn't it feel it. Currently a "mere" 31.3 °C, but with 49% humidity it's pretty uncomfortable. No storms currently, though it does now feel a bit thundery and radar shows some pretty beefy stuff not far away, notably in the Wolverhampton area.

The heavens have just opened up here.  Not torrential but heavy rain with thunder rumbling around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

Friday I cannot wait, predicted temps back to something tolerable.

Still clear skies here 33.3 in room, 34.6 outside door.

Edited by chrcoluk
  • Like 2

Posted

Rain all around here, but the famous 'gap' has played a blinder the past few days. We just need some rain now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The maximum of 29.5c today was the highest in August here since the 1st in 1995 which reached 29.8c.

Posted

Not known a day like this before. Intense heat and humidity with sunshine from 8 till 3, then thunderstorms for a couple of hours. Bit of respite and then from 8pm the most intense thunder and lightning with torrential rain (river running down the street) just easing off now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

What is it with Stoke-on-Trent and thunderstorms? We just keep getting hit over and over again!

Send it 15 miles east.I can see distant flickering from my front window.Just the same as last night!

Edited by Eye to the sky
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

What is it with Stoke-on-Trent and thunderstorms? We just keep getting hit over and over again!

Aye, same here

Posted
11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, same here

Never known a year like it for storms. Seen so many.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
Just now, MattStoke said:

Never known a year like it for storms. Seen so many.

Same here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Is the East Midlands in for any thundery action for the rest of the week? So far they’ve all skirted to the west.

tomorrow risk shifts more to the SE, slightly cooler drier air from the NE for northern parts

Posted

That was close. We just went a whole 5 minutes with only sporadic lightning but now the intense storm conditions have returned. The drought is over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Been pretty disappointing storm-wise in the South Midlands, especially given all the warnings. There was a storm earlier in Stratford which produced some very intense rainfall but lightning was pretty sporadic and infrequent compared to past storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

just had a very heavy rain shower with a flash of lightning no thunder. today we were under the mat office amber warning how over nothing much came of it just like the last few days we had some heavy rain and rumbles of distant thunder but lots of lightning though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

just as I sent that post we just had a another flash of lightning and a crack of thunder

Posted

In Bedworth and Nuneaton, we must be the most unlucky place on earth, when it comes to weather.

Over the past 4 days we had storms miss us by 2 miles, north, south, east, and west.  We are desperate for rain, our allotment is rapidly dying  (no water on site).

I have screen shotted all of the rain in the past few months, and it clearly shows some sort of phenomenon which means precipitation avoids us here, or it head straight for us, parts like the Red Sea, and then rejoins itself after it's crossed here.

The same happens with snow.  In 2009/10 where everyone around us had 12" of snow, we got 1/4" of snow, you only had to drive 10 minutes out of town to find the 12" snow, in any direction.

I used to love weather, now I'm starting to lose interest because we don't have 'weather' here in this town anymore

• Like 1

Posted

Looks as though the fun's over for those of us in the North. It's been a fantastic few days and good luck to those in the rest of the region, who look like squeezing another couple of stormy days in.