Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion 17/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
26 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Tuesday starting to look super! -9 uppers and N Sea convection snowy setup

A chance that we’d be too far west to benefit from an easterly but from past experience, snow showers from the east often do reach here.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

A chance that we’d be too far west to benefit from an easterly but from past experience, snow showers from the east often do reach here.

Depends on the level of instability and convection really. Thankfully no higher ground to scoop up the moisture on the way at least! (From the wash at least, NE’ly obviously goes over the Peak District) but with a strong easterly wind and convergence lines anything’s possible!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Depends on the level of instability and convection really. Thankfully no higher ground to scoop up the moisture on the way at least! (From the wash at least, NE’ly obviously goes over the Peak District) but with a strong easterly wind and convergence lines anything’s possible!

Exactly   due east of me  there  is no high ground above my altitude  all the way to Russia.  Easterlies from anywhere near that direction  will easily travel.

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Yep.  Icon 18z

image.thumb.png.6f73cdfb91c2ef096efa1c44d0bd8548.png

Blimey! 
if that were correct could be a surprise 5cm somewhere !!

• Like 2

Posted

Just shown a patch of snow crossing our region tomo evening on latest beeb forecast , but vague though and none commital we’ll see ??‍♂️

Posted
3 minutes ago, nobble said:

Just shown a patch of snow crossing our region tomo evening on latest beeb forecast , but vague though and none commital we’ll see ??‍♂️

Yeah they’re really not nailing their colours are they haha, 4 Celsius and rain Sunday YUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

18z NMMs sees snow later tomorrow ❄️❄️❄️

image.thumb.png.595292b367b40d5195bdb5d696afe8e4.pngimage.thumb.png.d345472777ef9ed65a3416ade95337a1.pngimage.thumb.png.ac0ff3ca663f098108b1b6e60af5a355.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
16 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

This from a Met Office forecaster.

97FDE4C4-4F63-439A-934E-AB7C98B55D89.jpeg

Was expecting/ hoping for more than 1 cm, will be grateful though for anything 

Posted
54 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Exactly   due east of me  there  is no high ground above my altitude  all the way to Russia.  Easterlies from anywhere near that direction  will easily travel.

Is that true? Pretty crazy if so . I’m just down from sedgley 

Posted
51 minutes ago, nobble said:

Blimey! 
if that were correct could be a surprise 5cm somewhere !!

Tbf that shows how Snow starved we've been in the North Midlands to get excited over 5cm lol.

In fairness we haven't done too bad in North Staffs area this week, but even that was only 3inches. I long for the days in the 70s and 80s back when we got 6 foot drifts at the top of Kidsgrove bank. 

• Like 1

Posted

On the 2nd February 2009, we got a direct streamer from the Lincolnshire coast.

Not only did we get a lot of snow from constant showers, but they even gained a bit of intensity as they passed over Birmingham.

Was a great day. Leicester, Birmingham and us were under the streamer and it was exciting reading the reports from those cities to our east before we got hit.

A great example of how we can really benefit from Easterlies. As long as the showers make landfall between Humberside and King’s Lynn somewhere.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
2 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

18z NMMs sees snow later tomorrow ❄️❄️❄️

image.thumb.png.595292b367b40d5195bdb5d696afe8e4.pngimage.thumb.png.d345472777ef9ed65a3416ade95337a1.pngimage.thumb.png.ac0ff3ca663f098108b1b6e60af5a355.png

I'd take that here in Northampton!! We haven't seen any settling snow so far. Had 5 mins of flurries a few days ago and that was our lot

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
19 minutes ago, Gord said:

On the 2nd February 2009, we got a direct streamer from the Lincolnshire coast.

Not only did we get a lot of snow from constant showers, but they even gained a bit of intensity as they passed over Birmingham.

Was a great day. Leicester, Birmingham and us were under the streamer and it was exciting reading the reports from those cities to our east before we got hit.

A great example of how we can really benefit from Easterlies. As long as the showers make landfall between Humberside and King’s Lynn somewhere.

I remember it well

Posted

1st Dec 2010 was a good Wash streamer, reached all the way across to the Welsh border. Feb 2009 was OK but had too much thawing in the daytime for my liking, despite frequent snow showers it didn't actually seem to be that cold. It wasn't Feb 2005 but it wasn't a classic either.

The charts do show a better easterly than they did a couple of days ago, proper Scandinavian/Russian air without that mild gunk from the Med contaminating it. No reason why showers from the east shouldn't get here its NE/NNE where they seem to die out more often than not. 3cm is all we need for the most snow since March 2018, last winter really was abysmal wasn't it?

Hardly any lying snow left here, only the 30th had enough to count as a day of lying snow though quite a few patches lasted till early today. Still very disappointing (for us) the way that band on Monday somehow jumped over this area and sat along the M6/M5 for hours, and all the snow in Cheshire/Manchester refusing to move south, but better than the east Midlands seems to have done.

Come on Scandi high, you haven't turned up the last 2 winters, you owe us one!

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very frosty, but now clouding over from the north, Aye Matt, models are crap with convective showers

tonights though a trough, not very promising on many models, just a dusting, unlike Tuesday's event

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Cheshire streamer, can see it from here, but may miss to SW? one for Shrews/telford maybe

Heading south.

663BFFCD-FF3B-423E-9B63-9773DCDE333A.jpeg