Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion 17/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A shiny new thread to carry on the discussion of how far North or South tomorrow's frontal system will be..

Old thread is here

Enjoy!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Thanks for the new thread, Mapantz

Feel like tomorrow will be one of those will it? or won’t it? situations regarding storms lol. If not, some afternoon sunshine, should the front pass away quick enough, would still be nice.

The way things have gone in the last few days, this Summer so far has been off to a brill start for thundery weather (but I suspect this may not be quite the case for all areas of the Midlands). Saturday, yesterday and today tearing apart the Solihull thunderstorm shield. Incredible downpours, and definitely some of the heaviest rain/hail have seen in a good while.

Edit: some recent great lightning pics by LeeKey in the previous thread as well: 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

TY thanks new thread - so the low is sinking away now very slowly to the south maybe a rip up on convection if the sun shines - looking more south as the days go by, clippers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Well that was a great period of weather, with numerous thunderstorms in the Midlands. What amazed me was just how different the conditions can vary between the space of a few miles! I was shocked at this picture. Only a few miles away from where this was taken but hail and precip was much less intense. I hope for more severe weather in the near future!

0_snowstormJPG.jpg

Edited by AppleUK 123
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Another day where heavy thundery showers were involved. It had turned into a nice day up until about 4pm and then it got dark, the winds picked up and then the thunder, lightening and heavy rains followed for about an hour and a half.

Yesterday evening produced some of the heaviest and stormiest weather I'd ever witnessed here and I wasn't surprised that getting into work today I found that it had flooded overnight as many parts of the area did for a brief time. Lets hope tomorrow morning doesn't quite bring that.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Thanks for the new thread.

After what feels like weeks of great weather on the Malverns, and then a couple of days of thundery humid weather (had quite a lot of lightning yesterday afternoon), we have dense hill fog and very heavy rain this morning. The garden did need it, though. No chance of flooding up here but I'll bet others will suffer today from the persistent heavy rain. Stay safe everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Steady rainfall here today.

Following on from the 18mms in 40 mins yesterday afternoon  it seems almost light, but we have so far had a further 14mms since it started at just after 5.

Looks like we have a further couple of hours before we see any dry and brighter weather.

Wil we get any blue skies sufficient to set off more Midland storms? Looks a bit doubtful.... but after the last few days we seem to be lucky at the moment.

I have to complete my drive clearance work so I am hoping for a couple of hours of dry.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Steady rainfall here today.

Following on from the 18mms in 40 mins yesterday afternoon  it seems almost light, but we have so far had a further 14mms since it started at just after 5.

Looks like we have a further couple of hours before we see any dry and brighter weather.

Wil we get any blue skies sufficient to set off more Midland storms? Looks a bit doubtful.... but after the last few days we seem to be lucky at the moment.

I have to complete my drive clearance work so I am hoping for a couple of hours of dry.

MIA

S of region I think only storms today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

No chance of any sunshine today, it’s been rain rain rain all day today.

So no chance of heat or sunshine in making any sort of storms that we’ve be seeing over the last several days, although some of us may see some late sunshine ☀️ 

543FF08E-A675-46E2-BD62-DE9FBBEEB76C.thumb.png.b5ff649d7b34087c093c8409f133413a.png

• Like 1

Posted

BBC weather at 5.55 still talking about storms moving up from the south overnight.

There are storms in France moving back into the Channel, also a kick back from the rainfall of today is being suggested to electrify.

Think it is now long odds, but as ever we will see.

MIA

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

BBC weather at 5.55 still talking about storms moving up from the south overnight.

There are storms in France moving back into the Channel, also a kick back from the rainfall of today is being suggested to electrify.

Think it is now long odds, but as ever we will see.

MIA

That so called kick back may be becoming apparent, well it may be nothing

Worth watching though

Edit ...In just 25 mins 

E369A555-5A8B-49CF-98A8-E0B2BE118B2F.thumb.png.208e4764fc2f96c1231182b38b282c11.png4DAB7E14-3220-45A0-B2C1-04ADD597FC11.thumb.png.d93dd91d59ec0cbbddf5557afe8369e7.png16BCFECF-DDD1-4E57-B505-1C9537A72658.thumb.png.87b60f73a139f8d0bdbd8d79b7f99264.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

missing me to the west? not sure about thundery activity, but moving more north than before

Not a strike insight.....the sun is back out again here

1A326D44-2C5B-48BC-B18A-7C3FF827A643.thumb.png.4d912a2818d372a1e0e1c2777ffef7a7.png

• Like 1

Posted

No storms last evening then. It came very close to one popping up around the area  though as it went very black a couple of times, but with just small spots of rain. My conjecture failed.! Just like my many snow warnings

However starting on 15:00 hours Wednesday till 15:00 Thursday (roughly when it stopped), I recorded 41.2 mms of rain.

18mms in the storm of wed pm, and just under an inch yesterday (23mms), in 10 hours of rainfall.

This mornings rain is light in comparison. (so far)

It is probably just as well we did not have another storm to throw in. Otherwise we would have had widespread flooding.

I have to fix my leaking garage roof now, as I think the storm has moved one or two tiles around.!!

MIA 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

Its a shame, i have possibe whip up on video, from 16th June. No way to upload 72.2 mb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Today is not quite as forecast had some heavy showers. The last three days forecast has been wrong!

Posted
52 minutes ago, RobR said:

Today is not quite as forecast had some heavy showers. The last three days forecast has been wrong!

Went out in the garden to pick up the moss I had loosened yesterday with my new jet wash tool.

No sooner went out then whoosh a heavy shower. So I watched Leic versus Watford instead. 

Good game I thought … I enjoyed it at any rate.

I checked the radar before I went out, but it looks to be developing as it moved north.

Going out again now, so I wont be watching the Brighton versus Arsenal.  

At least they are honouring the NHS with a minutes silence.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Last shower clear d here a couple of hours ago. Nice weather begins now.

Posted

Just incase anyone's interested, there are Noctilucent clouds to the NE!  They are high enough for me to see them between the roofs of the houses on the uphill side of the house!. (only ever seen them once before )

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Unexpected thunder heard with a heavy shower a few miles to the east of here shortly before 1600 g.m.t.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I missed the noctilucent clouds, but I'm not too annoyed as I caught them a few months ago. The weather here on Monday was pretty good. No rain that I noticed, fairly warm (max 23 °C) and a nice amount of sunshine. Feeling fairly cool in the quite fresh breeze, but a good day for walking. Might be a tad too hot for me from Tuesday onwards, and since I'm not a big thunderstorm fan I'm not especially looking forward to the end of the week. Spring's weather was bliss for me -- hot and humid is less so. (Also some relatives need to go to an appointment on Friday where they'll need to wait in the car park as there isn't room to distance inside. I'd prefer they didn't get drenched!)

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted

10.30 and we have only just got rid of the cloud now. West of the region looks cloudy until at least midday. How can forecasts get things so badly wrong just 12 hours out.

Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy L said:

10.30 and we have only just got rid of the cloud now. West of the region looks cloudy until at least midday. How can forecasts get things so badly wrong just 12 hours out.

Been sunny here since at least 6am this morning.