Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather of 14th June 1980

Posted

Our storm chasers would have liked the weather 40 years ago at the start of Saturday 14th June 1980 in South London / Surrey. I was on 'best man' duties that day, and the bridegroom and I were woken at 6.30am by flashes of lightning and huge claps of thunder outside, accompanied by heavy rain. The problem was that it was forecast and was due to last for the whole day. I think we must have said a quick prayer and this must have been answered as the rain, lightning and thunder stopped by 8am and the rest of the day was dry if very muggy and we were able to enjoy the photographs of the wedding outside rather than inside the church. Never have a bridegroom and best man been so glad that the Met Office were wrong with their forecast! 

Posted

June 1980 was a cool month overall, but with some very warm or hot weather at the start of the month, and going by the comments above, it must have been a humid month.

Posted

For spectacular fireworks in the South East, we may need to go  back a further 16 years to the night of 12th/13th June 1964 when there was a huge thunder and lightning storm from around midnight until close to dawn. Fortunately the 13th June was a Saturday, so no early start to get to school!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looks like a cool day in London with a high of 19c, combined with almost a month's worth of rain (39.9mm).

Posted

I was listening to some songs that were in the top 40 charts at the time. 

No Doubt about It by Hot Chocolate and Over You by Roxy Music.

Songs that remind me of summer and storms.

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 14/06/2020 at 10:58, A Face like Thunder said:

Our storm chasers would have liked the weather 40 years ago at the start of Saturday 14th June 1980 in South London / Surrey. I was on 'best man' duties that day, and the bridegroom and I were woken at 6.30am by flashes of lightning and huge claps of thunder outside, accompanied by heavy rain. The problem was that it was forecast and was due to last for the whole day. I think we must have said a quick prayer and this must have been answered as the rain, lightning and thunder stopped by 8am and the rest of the day was dry if very muggy and we were able to enjoy the photographs of the wedding outside rather than inside the church. Never have a bridegroom and best man been so glad that the Met Office were wrong with their forecast! 

I was on Hampton Wick Station waiting for a train. Everyone else vanished!

Edited by Blessed Weather
Corrected duplicate post.
  • Like 1