Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summers that get a bad press but you think we’re decent in your opinion

Harry233

Posted

Regional of course, but I happened to be in Pickering in North Yorkshire during the thunder storms which caused extensive flooding overnight on 1st and 2nd August 2002, and dropped over 4ins of rain at nearby Fylingdales. And yes the flooding was extensive in the town on the morning of the 2nd. That was a major event which helped Pickering to get an effective flood defence scheme many years later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I always thought that the summer of 2015 wasn't as bad as what people made it out to be. At least not in my location anyway.
It was quite changeable (just how I like the weather to be) but it wasn't particularly cool or wet I don't think. The June that year was around average with some scattered warm days and a couple of hot days at the end of the month, July again was around average again with varied warm or hot days, particularly at the beginning of the month. August was a little meh but even then it wasn't THAT bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

The summer of 2002 followed a similar theme to 2012 actually in that it started off poor but actually the 2nd half wasnt bad especially in the south, both had warm/hot humid spells.  It was kind of a 'better' version of 2012 but still not enough to give it 'good' press I'd say

Posted

When it comes to summer people do naturally have selective memories, and in large reason due to the holiday season. You base your memories of the summers of your childhood depending on what happened mid July-late August, the second half of the summer. Likewise if you choose to spend summer holidays in the UK you tend to remember what the weather was like then and base opinions of that summer on such conditions, forgetting the rest of the summer.

I have far better memories of the mid July - late August period than the first half of summer. June is often a month I struggle to remember for some reason, unlike May which I have much stronger memories of, and July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
30 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

When it comes to summer people do naturally have selective memories, and in large reason due to the holiday season. You base your memories of the summers of your childhood depending on what happened mid July-late August, the second half of the summer. Likewise if you choose to spend summer holidays in the UK you tend to remember what the weather was like then and base opinions of that summer on such conditions, forgetting the rest of the summer.

I have far better memories of the mid July - late August period than the first half of summer. June is often a month I struggle to remember for some reason, unlike May which I have much stronger memories of, and July.

May of course has two bank holidays and typically more of the spring half term. 

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I’m like that, when it comes to weather from my childhood or teen years until about 16, but after that, I have better memories of my birthday weather, which is late May, and also June and July. I tend to forget the autumn months like November, which is by far the least interesting period of the year.

Posted
15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I’m the same June has rarely been a month that has stuck out for me as many have been poor I’d say in the last 20 years 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2018 have stuck out as being nice whereas I find May is often a very pleasant month. July I usually have good memories as it’s my birthday and even in some poorer July’s my birthday usually falls on a warm and sunny day. August I can remember being nice in my childhood but the August’s of the last 15 years have generally been very poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 hours ago, damianslaw said:

i used to play a huge amount of football when growing up etc so i often remember periods of weather esp in the football season that caused postponements or playing on waterlogged or boggy pitches or conversely dry rock hard pitches so much so that the weather cost my team the title 2 years on the bounce... where we were playing catch up at the end of the season due to foul weather earlier in the year 

Posted
On 09/06/2020 at 06:55, Weather-history said:

June wasn't very good that's evident. However the weather flipped somewhat when July started and August was a dry useable month which extended into  September. 

Surprised no one has mentioned this

August 1991 was a very good summer month but its virtually forgotten.

CET: 17.1 (+1.3)
England and Wales rainfall: 27.8mm (10th driest on record)
Sunshine: 208.9hrs (121%)

Scotland
Temp: 14.0 (warmest since 1984)
Sunshine: 141.3hrs (sunniest since 1984)
Rainfall: 61.6mm (driest since 1984)

Northern Ireland
Temp: 15.0 (1990 was slightly warmer)
Sunshine: 151.8hrs (sunniest since 1977)
Rainfall: 38.4mm (driest since 1983)

For Wick, it was the warmest August since 1947
Leuchars, the sunniest August since 1976.

Hastings recorded only 3mm of rainfall with 147% of the expected sunshine.

Maximum temperatures were nothing special, the highest maximum at Manchester Airport was just 26.6C on the 31st but 20+C was recorded on 21 days. 

1st August-10th September CET: 17.0
England and Wales rainfall 1st August-13th September: 28.3mm

Manchester summer index of 207 for summer 1991 

Posted

Another one for 2019 being alright.. though I think that's partly down to regional differences. We seemed to have more 'consistent' weather, especially in July, than some areas.

June did have some poor weather but seemingly not as bad as some parts and we ended up near average due to the end of the month.
July was consistently warm, mean max 1.5C above average. 22 consecutive dry days to the 18th and drier than July 2018 ironically. Sunshine above average.
August had some poor weather again but temps averaged a near-slightly above average value, with that warm/hot bank holiday weekend.

All but one day from June 24th - August 8th reached 20C (every day did at Exeter Airport).

However, I only saw 25.9C from the plume that broke the record. Not too surprising due to the channel, but the main heat of the plume was also east of here.

If I lived where there was the record breaking heat and then downpours, I probably wouldn't complain from an interest point of view either.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
15 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Surprised no one has mentioned this

August 1991 was a very good summer month but its virtually forgotten.

CET: 17.1 (+1.3)
England and Wales rainfall: 27.8mm (10th driest on record)
Sunshine: 208.9hrs (121%)

Scotland
Temp: 14.0 (warmest since 1984)
Sunshine: 141.3hrs (sunniest since 1984)
Rainfall: 61.6mm (driest since 1984)

Northern Ireland
Temp: 15.0 (1990 was slightly warmer)
Sunshine: 151.8hrs (sunniest since 1977)
Rainfall: 38.4mm (driest since 1983)

For Wick, it was the warmest August since 1947
Leuchars, the sunniest August since 1976.

Hastings recorded only 3mm of rainfall with 147% of the expected sunshine.

Maximum temperatures were nothing special, the highest maximum at Manchester Airport was just 26.6C on the 31st but 20+C was recorded on 21 days. 

1st August-10th September CET: 17.0
England and Wales rainfall 1st August-13th September: 28.3mm

Manchester summer index of 207 for summer 1991 

Probably because of 1989 and 1990, it came off as a slight disappointment.

I remember hot sunny weather in July and August, but there were also wet and unsettled days. 

Summer 1991 was ok for sun, but it’s not one I remember as a classic. The cold June stands out, and early July thunderstorm, which didn’t hit London, but affected the southern counties.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Another one for 2019 being alright.. though I think that's partly down to regional differences. We seemed to have more 'consistent' weather, especially in July, than some areas.

June did have some poor weather but seemingly not as bad as some parts and we ended up near average due to the end of the month.
July was consistently warm, mean max 1.5C above average. 22 consecutive dry days to the 18th and drier than July 2018 ironically. Sunshine above average.
August had some poor weather again but temps averaged a near-slightly above average value, with that warm/hot bank holiday weekend.

All but one day from June 24th - August 8th reached 20C (every day did at Exeter Airport).

However, I only saw 25.9C from the plume that broke the record. Not too surprising due to the channel, but the main heat of the plume was also east of here.

If I lived where there was the record breaking heat and then downpours, I probably wouldn't complain from an interest point of view.

The record breaking heat was notable, but we missed the thunderstorms in west London. We were on the edge of the storm system, so it was a bit disappointing. Plus we missed other storms that summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

1991 had the 2nd coldest and cloudiest June on record (since beaten by 2016 and 2012), an average July, a warmer and sunnier than average August (but not exceptionally so).

It didn't reach 30c in London that summer.

Edited by B87