Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summers that get a bad press but you think we’re decent in your opinion

Harry233

Posted

2019 was terrible here.. June and August were mostly wet(apart from the last 8/9 days of June and August)  .July was acceptable. It was a warmish summer over all but nonsense other than that. I liked 2013 and 2016.. I cant recall much of 2015 so probably naff.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

The second half was actually good but the first half was so disastrously unusually bad that it has a bad rep overall. I don't think we will see a worse June in our lifetimes

The June was rubbish but at time of Olympic opening ceremony the weather dramatically improved. I spent much of July/August down East Sussex coast and the weather was useable.

Posted

June wasn't very good that's evident. However the weather flipped somewhat when July started and August was a dry useable month which extended into  September. 

August was poor especially that last week but June and July were not a washout and there was a good summery spell during the second half of June. Probably the best summery spell for the summers of 1985-88

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1979 is an interesting one. August is remembered for the Fastnet tragedy but you look at the figures for June and July, they were dry months even for this region. Maybe someone can recall this summer?

Posted
8 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Some say 2019 was a terrible summer, apart from the first 2/3 of June, I think it was fantastic.

2019 was mediocre. June was poor, July was hot, but it was also very humid and cloudy at times. There was lots of sunny weather. August was average in London. 

• Like 1

Posted

2009 was the best out of the poorer summers from 2007-12 era. 

I remember June feeling hot, continuing from the late May warmth. July was thundery and wet, but it was also cool mixed with humid days.

August wasn’t great, but there were some dry warm and sunny days. I think the cloudy weather was more of an issue.

2010 was a poorer version of 2009, but maybe a slightly better June. The late May into June period was the best period for warm to hot weather. July was ok, but more unsettled, and August that year was a bit on the cool side, also cloudy. It was the poorest since 1993.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

2010 had a better June and July than 2009, but 2009 had a better August.

The less said about the Augusts of 2008 and 2010, the better. Number 2 and 3 on the all time cloudy list.

2019 was decent, apart from the first half of June which was dire. It reached 34c in late June, and July/August both averaged over 25c.

Edited by B87

Posted

As a cricket fan I have great memories of the summer of 2005. England regained the Ashes for the first time in 16 years.

There were very few stoppages for rain or bad light through the series, which began in mid July I believe.

There weren't many hot days during that series though- it was sunny a fair bit but the players often wore sleeveless sweaters.

I guess you could feel a bit cool standing out in the field all day even at 19-22C however, depending on the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

2019 gets a bad press, but down here in the south I don't remember much in the way of unsettled weather, so it seemed pretty decent to me. Not so in terms of storms though, that one disappointing plume in July left a lot to be desired.

Posted
20 minutes ago, B87 said:

2010 had a better June and July than 2009, but 2009 had a better August.

The less said about the Augusts of 2008 and 2010, the better. Number 2 and 3 on the all time cloudy list.

2019 was decent, apart from the first half of June which was dire. It reached 34c in late June, and July/August both averaged over 25c.

2010 was letdown by the poor school holidays period. That in itself makes it poor, but 2009 was worse overall, because July was wet throughout and early August had some rainy days at the start.

There wasn’t much difference between them, but both had better early summer conditions. 

Also, the winters were better in those years 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
12 hours ago, B87 said:

2010 wasn't too bad, but August ruined it after a warm, sunny June and a hot but cloudy July.

1996 was a fairly average summer, though June was sunny. Nothing bad about it but it wasn't particularly great either, a bit like 2005.

2000 was a dreadful summer, with only August resembling a normal summer month.

1996 an average summer? Not in Salford it wasn't. It was overshadowed by the spectacular summer the previous year but it was warm and dry from my memory, particularly August. It is ranked 29th driest out of 254 in the HadUKP data and about 100th out of 361 for temperature, so above average in terms of goodness of summer.

Posted

1996 was usable, but not great. It had a hot start to June, with those severe thunderstorms on the Friday evening(first weekend of June 1996), and the London temp was 34c, which was the hottest June day at that time since 1976. It was quite surprising, after just a week or so before that, we were still recovering from the very cold winter and spring of 1995/96.

The rest of the London summer was mixed. I remember July being wet and unsettled, while August had some warm sunny days, but nothing as good as early June. 

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

1996 an average summer? Not in Salford it wasn't. It was overshadowed by the spectacular summer the previous year but it was warm and dry from my memory, particularly August. It is ranked 29th driest out of 254 in the HadUKP data and about 100th out of 361 for temperature, so above average in terms of goodness of summer.

June 1996: 22.8c/11.3c, 12mm, 282 hours

July 1996: 24.2c/13.2c, 29mm, 233 hours

August 1996: 23.1c/13.4c, 46mm, 218 hours

Apart from the warm, sunny and dry June, it was a non-descript summer. 

Posted
15 hours ago, B87 said:

1999, 2001, 2009, 2019

14 hours ago, hillbilly said:

1981 an ok summer with good August,rare  these days

1982 a good summer

every 90s summer was decent ,good or very good except 1998 which was dire.

2000 and 2001 good

2002 rubbish

2004,2005 ok

2009 yes there were many good days wher it rained for an hour and nice between but if it does that every day its a rubbish summer

2010,sorry one good month cannot stop a poor summer

2011 a nothing year am struggling to recall,must have been dire

Every year since has been a cloudfest except the first half of 2013 and the fantastic 2018!

2011 was probably the worst summer since 2007 very cool, wet and August in particular was extremely dull, July wasn’t overly dull that year but I can remember about three flash floods in my area. 

Posted
14 hours ago, Scorcher said:

August 2002 was a very decent month- it remained warm right until the end as well, rather than the customary cool off in the last of August that so often seems to happen. There wasn't much notable heat but it was consistently warm through the whole month virtually.

Can remember it being quite warm although it was quite wet and very dull in my area. Very humid month.

Posted
14 hours ago, B87 said:

2002 was warmer and sunnier than 2000. I'm not sure where all these good reviews for that summer are coming from?

Both of them had August average at best, with a poor or terrible June/July. July 2000 was cooler than July 2007 here, and that is tough to beat!

Bearing in mind I live in Perth, Scotland and my summers are usually on average around 4.C cooler than the London area. For example a day in July that would be say 19/20.C would be average for me anything above 22.C would be a warm day and anything about or above 26.C would be on par for the hottest day of the year. I’ve only reached 30.C or above four times since 2000 (2005, 2006, 2013, 2018) and the highest in that time was 31.3.C in 2013 and the all time high in my area I think is 31.4.C which was in 1995. July 2006 hottest month for maximum temperatures and even then the mean maximum was only 23.1.C which I think is actually lower than the average July maximum for London over the last 30 years.

You’re right in saying summer 2000 was poor in the London area as it was but the reason I made this topic was for everyone to compare and share their opinions. Temperature in summer vary massively in the UK probably as much a second 10.C from the northern isles to London.

Posted
13 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Some say 2019 was a terrible summer, apart from the first 2/3 of June, I think it was fantastic.

I liked summer 2019 as it was unusual but for the right reasons. The first half of June was very poor but the second half was brilliant, plenty of warm, dry and sunny weather. It was the sunniest June for 9 years in my area. July was a unusual month as it was rather dull and quite wet but unbelievably humid. We had plenty warm weather but some severe thunderstorms after the 22nd-26th heatwave where I recorded a minimum of 19.C which was the hottest night since August 2004. August was similar to 2004 in the sense it was extremely wet but was warm and was the sunniest since 2003. It was a good summer for people who like warm weather but also enjoy a downpour. 

Posted
12 hours ago, Daniel* said:

2012 for me perhaps very controversial but I thought the summer was alright in SE.

I’m pretty sure the south east had a good August that year. August 2012 remained wet in my area but it was definitely the best summer month by a long shot that year.

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

2019 was mediocre. June was poor, July was hot, but it was also very humid and cloudy at times. There was lots of sunny weather. August was average in London. 

Agreed it was nowhere near fantastic. If you come from Shetland maybe it would be! I didn’t enjoy the July very unpleasant nights, too much cloud for my liking. I won’t say it was a bad summer but nor do I think it was that good very forgettable really. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Harry233 said:

I’m pretty sure the south east had a good August that year. August 2012 remained wet in my area but it was definitely the best summer month by a long shot that year.

Yes, August was the best month, but it wasn’t great. We had some sunny warm days, and a couple of thunderstorms in London, one in particular was during a Saturday afternoon. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Agreed it was nowhere near fantastic. If you come from Shetland maybe it would be! I didn’t enjoy the July very unpleasant nights, too much cloud for my liking. I won’t say it was a bad summer but nor do I think it was that good very forgettable really. 

It falls into that forgettable humid category, like 2004 and 1997. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Harry233 said:

August 2012 was average at best in the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
17 hours ago, Don said:

2002 and a fairly decent August, at least in the south/south west?

2000 was definitely worse than 2002 down south..June 2000 was decent and had some warm dry weather July 2000 was a mixed bag..and August just deteriorated as the month went on and led into the wettest autumn on record..for me the autumn rains really got going in the third week of August and didn't let up until Xmas

Posted

Average highs for some selected summers mentioned in London.

1996: 22.8c, 24.2c, 23.1c

2000: 21.0c, 21.0c, 23.2c

2002: 20.1c, 22.3c, 23.3c

2005: 22.8c, 23.3c, 23.2c

2009: 22.4c, 23.0c, 23.9c

2010: 23.5c, 25.0c, 21.6c

2011: 20.7c, 21.7c, 21.8c

2019: 21.8c, 25.5c, 25.2c

2011 clearly the worst of that bunch. 2009 and 2010 were ok, 2019 better than many suggest.

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, B87 said:

Average highs for some selected summers mentioned in London.

1996: 22.8c, 24.2c, 23.1c

2000: 21.0c, 21.0c, 23.2c

2002: 20.1c, 22.3c, 23.3c

2005: 22.8c, 23.3c, 23.2c

2009: 22.4c, 23.0c, 23.9c

2010: 23.5c, 25.0c, 21.6c

2011: 20.7c, 21.7c, 21.8c

2019: 21.8c, 25.5c, 25.2c

2011 clearly the worst of that bunch. 2009 and 2010 were ok, 2019 better than many suggest.

Better in terms of temps yes, but there was an awful lot of cloudy days in the summer of 2019. It had its moments, late May was nice, late June, mid July, and about 5-6 days of warm to hot weather in August. The late August bank holiday and early to mid September is probably the best part of summer 2019 in London. 

• Like 1