Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summers that get a bad press but you think we’re decent in your opinion

Harry233

Posted

A lot of conflict on some pages see how much summers can vary in areas. What summers would you say have gotten a bad press but you have found decent. For me summers that have stuck out has getting slated but I have found good are.

2000: Especially the July that year. It was one of the driest months I can remember and it was quite sunny especially in the second half. Let down by the temperature in the first 10 days. I was very young back then but can remember plenty days in July/August in the garden having BBQ’s constantly. Can’t remember anything from the June that year however.

2005: Maybe not a summer that is famous for being pretty awful but it was definitely one of the best I can remember. Another very dry summer in my area and warm. Some great thunderstorms in June and the July that followed was virtually rainless, 30.C reached on the 12th and July had plenty of warm weather, although with some cooler days however and the August that followed was good.

2009: Probably the one I’ll get slated for being a decent summer but I found it good, June had some very warm and settled weather especially in the first couple of days and last week. July although extremely wet was warm, especially in the first week. The rain that fell was often in very heavy afternoon/evening showers or thunderstorms and it the rain very rarely lasted longer than a hour it wasn’t also rather sunny. Only thing that let it down was a poor august.

2010: The June that year was almost on a par with 2018 which got it off to a cracking start. The July was rather disappointing but it wasn’t dull at least and there was still a few good days thrown in. August was good that year if rather cool especially at night but I remember plenty of sunny weather that summer.

Be interesting to compare and see everyone’s else’s opinions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

1999, 2001, 2009, 2019

Posted

Of the years mentioned in first post, 2010 wasn't too bad, disappointingly cool but there was alot of usable weather for outdoor activities. 2009 brought a very wet July but I remember some decent warmth at times.

2005 definately not a bad summer at all, best of the 4 mentioned.

2000 bit of a non-entity.

1996 doesn't often get mentioned much, coming on the back of the excellent 1995, it was a preety good summer overall.

Posted

2010 wasn't too bad, but August ruined it after a warm, sunny June and a hot but cloudy July.

1996 was a fairly average summer, though June was sunny. Nothing bad about it but it wasn't particularly great either, a bit like 2005.

2000 was a dreadful summer, with only August resembling a normal summer month.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

1981 an ok summer with good August,rare  these days

1982 a good summer

every 90s summer was decent ,good or very good except 1998 which was dire.

2000 and 2001 good

2002 rubbish

2004,2005 ok

2009 yes there were many good days wher it rained for an hour and nice between but if it does that every day its a rubbish summer

2010,sorry one good month cannot stop a poor summer

2011 a nothing year am struggling to recall,must have been dire

Every year since has been a cloudfest except the first half of 2013 and the fantastic 2018!

Posted
3 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

1981 an ok summer with good August,rare  these days

1982 a good summer

every 90s summer was decent ,good or very good except 1998 which was dire.

2000 and 2001 good

2002 rubbish

2004,2005 ok

2009 yes there were many good days wher it rained for an hour and nice between but if it does that every day its a rubbish summer

2010,sorry one good month cannot stop a poor summer

2011 a nothing year am struggling to recall,must have been dire

Every year since has been a cloudfest except the first half of 2013 and the fantastic 2018!

2002 and a fairly decent August, at least in the south/south west?

Posted

2002 was warmer and sunnier than 2000. I'm not sure where all these good reviews for that summer are coming from?

Both of them had August average at best, with a poor or terrible June/July. July 2000 was cooler than July 2007 here, and that is tough to beat!

Edited by B87

Posted

August 2002 was a very decent month- it remained warm right until the end as well, rather than the customary cool off in the last of August that so often seems to happen. There wasn't much notable heat but it was consistently warm through the whole month virtually.

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

August 2002 was a very decent month- it remained warm right until the end as well, rather than the customary cool off in the last of August that so often seems to happen. There wasn't much notable heat but it was consistently warm through the whole month virtually.

Yes and it continued into September, too.

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Yes and it continued into September, too.

Yes it was a good September, I recall a warm start and then another warm spell late in the month while the Ryder Cup was on at the Belfry. October also started on a very warm note if I remember rightly.

Posted
8 minutes ago, B87 said:

2002 was warmer and sunnier than 2000. I'm not sure where all these good reviews for that summer are coming from?

Both of them had August average at best, with a poor or terrible June/July. July 2000 was cooler than July 2007 here, and that is tough to beat!

Just remember you are in London and I am in the Pennines,you are 3 to 5 degrees warmer than here all year round.It is far drier where you are and you have 25% more sunshine and less cloud.You poor summers are almost good here.

2002 was dogged with cloud in these parts and making hay on the farm was very difficult.I remember endless cloud and drizzle even if it wasn't so cold.

2000 however was far better with a great sunny July ,a pleasure for making hay in these parts.August was good too if I remember rightly.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

Yes it was a good September, I recall a warm start and then another warm spell late in the month while the Ryder Cup was on at the Belfry. October also started on a very warm note if I remember rightly.

Yes, October did start on a very warm note, but quickly turned colder and was a cooler than average month overall.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Yes I think the weather did pick up in August,maybe around midmonth it was decent but didn't make up for the 8 week cloudfest before it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
21 minutes ago, Don said:

2002 and a fairly decent August, at least in the south/south west?

Indeed August wasn’t too bad at all after a thundery start. One of the few summers where the lead up and start of the summer holidays were awful then a change of fortunes came mid July.

Still wouldn’t rank it as nice as 2005 though.

Posted
21 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed August wasn’t too bad at all after a thundery start. One of the few summers where the lead up and start of the summer holidays were awful then a change of fortunes came mid July.

Still wouldn’t rank it as nice as 2005 though.

Oh yes, I remember those thundery downpours in London early August 2002!  Don't really remember much weather wise about August 2005.  However, it was cooler than 2002.  I remember June 2005 being very warm during the second half with temperatures in the 30C's around solstice.  I think July 2005 was fairly mixed if I remember correctly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, Don said:

Oh yes, I remember those thundery downpours in London early August 2002!  Don't really remember much weather wise about August 2005.  However, it was cooler than 2002.  I remember June 2005 being very warm during the second half with temperatures in the 30C's around solstice.  I think July 2005 was fairly mixed if I remember correctly?

August 2005 was a consistently pleasant month here at least with plenty of warm sunshine and a heatwave that ended with a thunderstorm at month’s end. The daytime maxima were generally higher than August 2002 owing to the sunshine but nights were cooler.

Indeed July 2005 started and ended unsettled. The final week was actually very dull. The 7th to 23rd was mainly dry, fine and warm or hot though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Some say 2019 was a terrible summer, apart from the first 2/3 of June, I think it was fantastic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

2009 was the summer that immediately sprung to my mind, though I was helped by where I was living at the time.  I spent June 2009 in Exeter, where the month had two dramatic thunderstorms on the 6th and 15th and plenty of warm sunny weather early and late in the month.  July 2009 appears to have been a washout in the south-west, but I went to Norwich that month, where it was a bit warmer and sunnier than average, with mainly convective rainfall and a high frequency of thunder.  August 2009 in Norwich was a warm dry month, dull in the first half but more than offset by sunny spells mid to late month.  It was the only summer that I particularly enjoyed in that run of generally dull wet summers from 2007-2012.  

I always thought of 2005 an "almost great but not quite" summer - 2nd half June, the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July, and large parts of August were memorable for the right reasons, but the extremely dull last third of July let it down somewhat in my opinion.

July 2000's weather varied considerably depending on where you were: in western Scotland it was very sunny with warm days and cool nights, but it was one of the dullest Julys on record in parts of eastern England with mean maxima over 2C below the 61-90 average in Norfolk.  I do have fond memories of the second half of August 2000, and there was a heatwave shortly before my birthday in that June, so I can see how those who got away with a relatively sunny July would consider that summer underrated.  But I spent the summer in Tyneside where July was a cold and cloudy month.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

2005 gets lost amongst 2003, 2004 and 2006. It was a very decent summer all round, not the oppressive long lasting heat of 2003 and 2006 or the humid wet of 2004. 1996 in a similar league though not as warm as 05, it too gets lost amongst 1994, 1995 and 1997, those years all brought notable heat and in the case of 94 and 97 humid wetness.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe cold, heavy snow, massive thunderstorms and bright sunshine.

I don't really remember summers 2000-2006 because fortunately I'm too young. 

I do believe some of the 2007-12 summers get unfairly judged as poor summers for warmth and sunshine.

Summers 2007, 2008, and 2012 deserve to be called bad Summers because of how wet and cool they were for the most part. 2007 had biblical flooding in mid-July to the point where I'm surprised that I didn't see an Noah's ark in my primary school playground. The cool temperatures in 2007 were not the biggest problem compared to the devastating and destructive flooding that year. 2008 was just bad because I don't remember any sunny weather in August and my memory was right that August was very dull that year. June and July 2008 were mediocre if you're after warmth. 2012 wasn't quite as bad as 2007, but June and July 2012 were generally cool, with the wettest June on the England and Wales Precipitation Record occurring in that year. There were a higher number of thunderstorms than usual in 2012, combined with warm and sunny weather during the London Olympics, which somewhat made up for the cool and at times exceptionally wet weather that occurred in June and in the first half of July 2012.  

I believe Summers 2009, 2010, and 2011 get unfairly judged as bad Summers.

2009 had warmth around the end of June and the start of July, with me having my paddling pool out in that time. However, my selective memory judges August 2009 to be mediocre because despite it being the warmest CET summer month of 2009, I just don't remember much heat.

2010 was decent to quite good in June and July, and I remember decent warm and dry weather around the time of the football world cup. I remember it feeling quite hot when I went on a school trip in what might have been late June 2010.

Summer 2011 gets badly judged because of it's cool temperatures, but I remember lots of dry, usable weather, and at least people's homes didn't get flooded out in the South of England, but I'm not sure about the North because I think the North of England had a wetter Summer in 2011. The CET for 2011 was the coldest since 1988, so it was notably cool. However, I don't feel colder temperatures as badly as some people on netweather, so 2011 was usable for me, but not memorable for hot temperatures. 2011 will be controversial, but people have different opinions, and I respect that. 

One Summer that is also unfairly judged negatively is 2015, which had dry usable weather in June, record breaking hot temperatures on July 1st, and the thunderstorms just after that, although the weather was poor for warmth and dry weather from mid-July to around late August 2015. 

One reason why some "poor" summers from 2007-2012 and 2015 get unfairly judged is because they aren't quite as good as the general conditions of Summers from 1989-2006 and from 2013-present. Another reason why these select Summers are unfairly negatively judged is because Summers are warmer on average compared to 35 years ago and maybe that has lead to some people on netweather having higher standards for Summers because they lived through the cool, wetter Summers of the 1980's. However, there is nothing wrong with wanting warmth and decent sunshine levels in Summer.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, Harry233 said:

A lot of conflict on some pages see how much summers can vary in areas. What summers would you say have gotten a bad press but you have found decent. For me summers that have stuck out has getting slated but I have found good are.

2000: Especially the July that year. It was one of the driest months I can remember and it was quite sunny especially in the second half. Let down by the temperature in the first 10 days. I was very young back then but can remember plenty days in July/August in the garden having BBQ’s constantly. Can’t remember anything from the June that year however.

2005: Maybe not a summer that is famous for being pretty awful but it was definitely one of the best I can remember. Another very dry summer in my area and warm. Some great thunderstorms in June and the July that followed was virtually rainless, 30.C reached on the 12th and July had plenty of warm weather, although with some cooler days however and the August that followed was good.

2009: Probably the one I’ll get slated for being a decent summer but I found it good, June had some very warm and settled weather especially in the first couple of days and last week. July although extremely wet was warm, especially in the first week. The rain that fell was often in very heavy afternoon/evening showers or thunderstorms and it the rain very rarely lasted longer than a hour it wasn’t also rather sunny. Only thing that let it down was a poor august.

2010: The June that year was almost on a par with 2018 which got it off to a cracking start. The July was rather disappointing but it wasn’t dull at least and there was still a few good days thrown in. August was good that year if rather cool especially at night but I remember plenty of sunny weather that summer.

Be interesting to compare and see everyone’s else’s opinions.

I remember 2009 feeling really quite tropical at times...some bouts of very humid weather with big afternoon thunderstorms. Convectively awesome at times under slack LP.

1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

2012 for me perhaps very controversial but I thought the summer was alright in SE.

The second half was actually good but the first half was so disastrously unusually bad that it has a bad rep overall. I don't think we will see a worse June in our lifetimes