Ranking the summers since 2013

Since the revival of good summer in 2013, we've had an impressive run. I am pretty sure most will rank 2018 best and 2015 worse but I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks with some justification

My personal rankings as as follows:

1. 2018 - unbrokenly settled until the 7th august - very remarkable and the memories become even fonder with the World Cup that summer It really was perfect and by the time the pattern broke down it seemed a nice change.

2. 2019 - an eclectic mix and for that reason I loved It - just when you thought it was gonna turn south we had a hot spell and it was perfectly spread throughout with a more mixed June and a very very good July although I appreciate this summer was much better for the SE than elsewhere. It was never hot for too long also but did deliver loads of interesting patterns and the late august spell was very notable - the first properly good august in the se since 2003

3. 2013 - June was very poor so it fails on that front but July was stunningly good and august was fine. Loads of useable weather.

4. 2016 - Very similar to 2019 but with the hot spells less hot and for a little less long. Very poor June spoils it going higher. August seemed brilliant after the abysmal run since 2005 but I think looking back it was a good month but not brilliant - only relatively so at the time

5. 2014 - July was quite good but pretty unexceptional - august was cold and autumnal. All in all though felt deeply forgettable

6. 2017 - Best June of the decade imo so was such shame about the abysmal second half of the summer which was dreadful and seldom exceeded 20 by august but some good storms in July. The June hot spell was remarkably good and felt like good things were to come but alas no!

7. 2015 - Very poor other than the hot spell 30th June to 2nd July. Largely cool and cloudy - not my bag. 

Something I've noticed is how often the 10 days of June have yielded a fine spell with all except 2014 and 2016 having one

Don’t feel August 19 was anything special here in the SE of England the wait for a proper summer like August goes on in my opinion ! 

My ranking, by London standards.

2018 - a 56 day spell with no rain, 2nd warmest July on record, and plenty of sunshine too. This summer is far ahead of anything else.

2014 - very good June and July, sunny and plenty of warm, humid and thundery conditions. August was poor.

2019 - warm but very wet. July and August both averaged over 25c, and of course that 38c day in late July. August 2019 was about equal to August 2016.

2013 - after a dreadful cool and cloudy June, we had a hot and sunny July, and August finally delivered (sort of) for the first time since 2003.

2016 - June was disgusting, the cloudiest and 7th wettest on record in London. July was fairly average, but August finally produced something alright, the best one since 2003 (though that isn't saying much).

2017 - June was great - as warm as 2018. July started off hot but quickly collapsed, and a month spell between mid-July and mid-August saw temps below average every single day. Yet another bad August.

2015 - this was a cool, cloudy, generally all round poor summer, apart from the one day heatwave at the start of July, which masked the monthly average. August was terrible yet again, as has often been the case since 2006.

This is an interesting topic.

Here’s my take on it.

Best to worst :

2018: without a shadow of a doubt, the best extended summery spell since 1995, and the hottest and sunniest July since 2013. It just seemed to go on and on forever, and instead of starting off well in May, where in years past the weather would deteriorate into summer, the warm sunny settled weather remained a constant feature until mid August. The August was a little average in the second half, but it was welcomed after the long hot dry spell.

2013: some give it a bad rap for the poor June, but I thought London didn’t fare too badly, although it was noticeably chilly and clouded at times, after the dreadful cold May and winter that preceded it, the warmth arrived in the second half. July was a classic hot month, and the best weather we enjoyed since 2006, so that’s why it sticks out as a decent spell. August was less hot, but still sunny and warm. The best August since 2003.

2014: a good June and July, but let down by a poor August. Some classic thunderstorms in July. Not a classic like 2013, but still decent.

2017 : a hot June, after a cool start, and was even made better after a long warm sunny spell during late April into May. Also hot and sunny for the first half of July. Up until then, I would have ranked it as the best summer since 2014, but it went downhill after those July thunderstorms and never fully recovered, apart from the late August bank holiday, which was warm and sunny. A poor second half of summer.

2016: a good August on and off, but it was letdown for me by the longer periods of cloudy and cool weather in June, while late June was humid with storms, July was also cloudy and humid. It did improve towards the second half or July, but I noticed more cloudy conditions. A forgettable summer for me, but I was in the middle of a stressful move at the time, which probably affected my observations.

2015 : hands down the worst one. Dull and cool for the most part, although August had some nice sunny weekends if memory serves me well. But, it was mostly a cool cloudy summer. The best weather came in the spring and early autumn. 

26 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

This is an interesting topic.

Here’s my take on it.

Best to worst :

2018: without a shadow of a doubt, the best extended summery spell since 1995, and the hottest and sunniest July since 2013. It just seemed to go on and on forever, and instead of starting off well in May, where in years past the weather would deteriorate into summer, the warm sunny settled weather remained a constant feature until mid August. The August was a little average in the second half, but it was welcomed after the long hot dry spell.

2013: some give it a bad rap for the poor June, but I thought London didn’t fare too badly, although it was noticeably chilly and clouded at times, after the dreadful cold May and winter that preceded it, the warmth arrived in the second half. July was a classic hot month, and the best weather we enjoyed since 2006, so that’s why it sticks out as a decent spell. August was less hot, but still sunny and warm. The best August since 2003.

2014: a good June and July, but let down by a poor August. Some classic thunderstorms in July. Not a classic like 2013, but still decent.

2017 : a hot June, after a cool start, and was even made better after a long warm sunny spell during late April into May. Also hot and sunny for the first half of July. Up until then, I would have ranked it as the best summer since 2014, but it went downhill after those July thunderstorms and never fully recovered, apart from the late August bank holiday, which was warm and sunny. A poor second half of summer.

2016: a good August on and off, but it was letdown for me by the longer periods of cloudy and cool weather in June, while late June was humid with storms, July was also cloudy and humid. It did improve towards the second half or July, but I noticed more cloudy conditions. A forgettable summer for me, but I was in the middle of a stressful move at the time, which probably affected my observations.

2015 : hands down the worst one. Dull and cool for the most part, although August had some nice sunny weekends if memory serves me well. But, it was mostly a cool cloudy summer. The best weather came in the spring and early autumn. 

what about last year?

6 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

what about last year?

Lol I knew someone would pull me up about that.

Summer 19 was better than 2015, and 16, but I would put it just above 2017. June was poor, July was the best month, although it wasn’t a classic, apart from the very hot couple of weeks. August was average at best, again it was notable for lots of cloudy weather in the summer. 

What a excellent topic. For me in Perth, Scotland

2018: Without a doubt the best summer I have witnessed I would even rate it better than 2006 especially after how good May was. The first 10 days of June were terrific low-mid 20’s by day and the nights were cool, mid range single figures there was a brief spell in the middle of June where it was a bit unsettled and cooler but the final week more than made up for it. Very hot even by my standards the maximum reached 31.C on the 28th. July continued that very warm and sunny theme for the first half although it turned a bit more unsettled in the second half with occasional thunderstorms but it still remained very warm and we just missed out on reaching 30.C again. August was a little bit disappointing after the first week but it wasn’t overly bad at all.

2013: June was a pleasant month even though temperatures and sunshine were bang average and there wasn’t any hot days we only had half the amount of rainfall and temperatures were never overly cool a lot of 16.C-19.C days. I think it felt warmer because of how cool the spring was that year. July was phenomenal that year with plenty hot, sunny weather 31.C was also reached that month and there was virtually no rain until the final week. August while quite dull was extremely dry only 30% of average and like June there was no hot days but 20.C was reached on half the days.

2019: Quite an unusual summer in the sense it was very warm but also very wet. June was pretty disappointing in the first half with a lot of cool and wet weather but the second half improved greatly with plenty of pleasantly warm sunshine and little rain. July although dull and wet was remarkably warm and very humid the period 22nd-26th July I don’t think I can recall a period where it has been that humid reaching 28.C and falling to just 19.C. August was extremely wet but it it was never cool aside from a couple of days in the second week and it was the sunniest since 2003.

2014: June was a warm month but was unsettled and wet. There was a good warm, sunny spell midmonth but aside from that there wasn’t much sunshine. July was virtually on par with 2013 and it was actually sunnier but the August that followed was awful, cool, wet and windy with little warmth.

2016: Got off to a fantastic start the first week of June was virtually unbroken warm sunshine before a thundery second week but the second half was very poor, cool, wet and extremely dull although very warm by night. July was pretty cool and unsettled for the vast majority of the month but there was a good warm spell in the third week and the thunderstorm on the 20th will stick out for a long time. August continued that unsettled theme but after the first half it improved massively and was virtually rainless after midmonth.

2017: June was extremely wet, dull and annoying cool by day but unusually mild at night. Even when there was the heatwave we missed out, aside from the 17th and 18th where it reached 25.C and 23.C respectively after that it cooled down once again. July was much the same for the first 10 days and I think it was either the 8th or 9th where it rained relentlessly, was windy and reached barely 14.C. The next 10 days were a improvement but the final week was more unsettled and the August that followed was truly awful, it felt like October most of the time and the maximum exceeded 20.C on only 4 days.

2015: A June which dry was often cool, dull and windy. July that year was an absolute write off it was extremely wet, windy and felt like late October a lot of the time. Which was a shame as the first few days were quite pleasant. August was unsettled but at least it was quite sunny.

2013: Mean maximum: 20.3.C (+1.0.C) Mean minimum: 10.6.C (+0.4.C) Mean: 15.5.C (+0.7.C) Rainfall: 99mm (52%) Sunshine: 531 hours (107%)

2014: Mean maximum: 20.0.C (+0.7.C) Mean minimum: 10.5.C (+0.3.C) Mean: 15.3.C (+0.5.C) Rainfall: 227mm (125%) Sunshine: 534 hours (108%)

2015: Mean maximum: 18.1.C (-1.1.C) Mean minimum: 9.8.C (-0.4.C) Mean: 14.0.C (-0.8.C) Rainfall: 253mm (139%) Sunshine: 491 hours (99%)

2016: Mean maximum: 19.0.C (-0.3.C) Mean minimum: 11.0.C (+0.8.C) Mean: 15.0.C (+0.2.C) Rainfall: 207mm (114%) Sunshine: 472 hours (96%) 

2017: Mean maximum: 18.8.C (-0.6.C) Mean minimum: 10.8.C (+0.6.C) Mean: 14.8.C (+0.0.C) Rainfall: 279mm (153%) Sunshine: 452 hours (94%)

2018: Mean maximum: 20.8.C (+1.5.C) Mean minimum: 10.8.C (+0.6.C) Mean: 15.8.C (+1.0.C) Rainfall: 153mm (84%) Sunshine: 608 hours (128%)

2019: Mean maximum: 19.9.C (+0.6.C) Mean minimum: 10.9.C (+0.7.C) Mean: 15.4.C (+0.6.C) Rainfall: 276mm (152%) Sunshine: 508 hours (107%)

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Heres my view from Plymouth

2018. It was a glorious hot spell down here- started with a magnificent thunderstorm at the end of May after which the heat just built and built. It was very similar to the summer of 1995, just on the edge of being memorable before the August breakdown after which although still pretty useable, didnt get up there to July heights.

2017. June was amazing here, hot almost to being unbearable. Like 2018, it all started with an amazing thunderstorm end of May and just built up. Shame it broke, but again a lot of useable times in sunshine with friends and family

2014. Enjoyed this summer, after a nightmare 2013 in my personal life, and the stormy winter. June and July were decent, August not so good, but a lot of BBQs and good times had.

2019. Wasnt a summer like the previous two, August was a poor month. June was certainly the best month but it just didnt seem to get going properly.

2016- remember it just never got going. In fact I didnt get to the beach much after a settled spell in June and early July. August was dreadful. 

2013. Now, yes it was a decent July here after a damp June and it wasnt brilliant in August. However as I was getting divorced during this summer, it could have been 1995/1976 and I'd have a downer on it! Just remember being very stressed! Ironically had a post divorce holiday in early September in West Cornwall and it was stunning warm and sunny and I was much happier sunbathing at Sennon Cove!

2015. If ever there was a summer when a shift pattern was cruel, it was this one. Every long weekend off every 3 weeks, guess what. It rained. Just awful, again the only time I got to the beach was in September and i had to go to Zakynthos for that!

Edited by philglossop

From a Lake District perspective:

2018 best overall, June and July were excellent, coming on the back of a brilliant May, had things been a month later, then hands down would have ended up as possibly best ever, however, change took place tail end of July, August was very wet.

2013- despite a cool June, it was quite dry, July superb, August not too bad.

2014- a lesser version of 2013.

2016- decent August, June and July quite good.

2018- mixed with good lengthy dry warm spells  but also some notably wet ones.

2017- good start, deteriorated as it went on, poor second half 

2015- shortlived warm sunny spells, very poor wet second half July.

Posted (edited)

The summers ranked by summer index.

2018: 344

2013: 311

2014: 293

2019: 293

2017: 287

2015: 276

2016: 271

2 good, 2 poor, 3 average summers.

Edited by B87
57 minutes ago, B87 said:

The summers ranked by summer index.

2018: 344

2013: 311

2014: 293

2019: 293

2017: 287

2015: 276

2016: 271

2 good, 2 poor, 3 average summers.

Interesting to note 2016 worse. But very close groupings 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019 not much in them. 2013 and 2018 clearly pull ahead.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Interesting to note 2016 worse. But very close groupings 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019 not much in them. 2013 and 2018 clearly pull ahead.

2016 had the cloudiest and 7th wettest June on record in London, which penalises it. July was fairly average if on the cloudy side, and August was warm and dry (but not unusually so).

Edited by B87

From a Dublin perspective.

1. 2018 - No contest here. Best summer month of the period - June 2018, and a good July too. August was still dry and plenty warm days but very disappointing sunshine.

2. 2013 - Stupendous July. June was fine with a great first week and August was passable but like 2018 lacked the sunshine.

3. 2014 - Great June/July but deluge and cool August.

4. 2019 - Decent July but not a standout compared to some others. I enjoyed August for the most part too. I loathe June though.

5. 2016 - A very humid and frequently warm summer but lacked the sunshine throughout even in August. 

6. 2015 - Pleasant June that was rarely warm but very dry and largely sunny. July was crap and August was mixed.

7. 2017 - Didn't like any of the months. June started off and ended poor with a decent mid-month period. First half to July was warm and dry but lacked the sunshine whilst second half was sunnier but also cooler and wetter. August was just rubbish.

1. 2018.  I dont think there is too much disagreement this is the best when taking the overall summer into account.  Even the 2nd half of August had some decent days.. yes there was autumnal rubbish as well but not bad.

2. 2013.  For the brilliant july.  This was on a par with,  and in fact more thundery than july 2018 especially in the last third.  The only reason the 2013 july CET was a shade lower than 2018 was the first few days were very cool.  July 2018 had NO cool days.  As an individual month the best of the decade.  August decent enough, june a bit meh, but not much rain.. just cool and cloudy at times.

3. 2014.  June and July combined were excellent and had their fair share of thunder as well (I do like a good summer storm!).  There was a classic plume, followed by a whole week of high 20s in july which stood out.  June not overly hot but consistently pleasant, and surprisingly thundery for a non-humid month.  August was a shocker though, with no heat at all and notably cool weather in the 2nd half.  If the august was better this could have been higher, perhaps?

4. 2019.  This was mixed, with an awful first half of june but it turned much better, july decent and of course holds the UK's all time high, and this alone makes it stand out to at least some degree.  August mixed but warm, and a  brilliant bank holiday weekend.

5. 2016.  I was abroad for the very thundery period at the start of june so couldn't comment, but the rest of the month was warm but wet from memory.  July meh, albeit a brief but intense heatwave 19th and 20th.  August actually very good with numerous warm and a few hot day

6. 2017.  Good heatwave in june, went downhill in july after spectacular plume storms mid month.  August poor, luckily was away for some of it!  Bank holiday being nice was the only good point of the month

7. 2015.  Apart from the july temperature record (at the time!) nothing stands out about this summer.  There were a few storms yes but nothing severe here, august had a few nice days but was generally wet