Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Strange how the 5th wettest summer has been so devoid of major flooding incidents.  Just shows you the weather does have a stealth mode.

Not too bad a start today, good spells of sunshine but has since clouded over.  The temps feel quite low only 12c at present.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
35 minutes ago, dodge said:

Strange how the 5th wettest summer has been so devoid of major flooding incidents.  Just shows you the weather does have a stealth mode.

Not too bad a start today, good spells of sunshine but has since clouded over.  The temps feel quite low only 12c at present.

Out for a walk by 8 this morning and it felt damn cold under the cloud and in the nagging easterly breeze.

other than the amount of greenery on the trees it could have been early winter.

tbh it’s surprising how short the warm periods we have had this year, certainly up here as even though it was dry, we were still having cold easterly winds well into May.

it then turned wet in June and July which suppressed the temperatures and now we are back to an autumn nip before we leave August.

It may have been a longer, hotter summer for other parts of the country but I think the weather will be not be one of the things to tell the grandkids about when they ask what 2020 was like.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Was clear and cold at 6 am this morning, but by the time I got up it had already clouded over. Currently about 13C and thick cloud, and just started raining!

What happened to that dry and sunny weekend they were forecasting?

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Wow this has sneaked up quietly,

Wettest summers on record for region (mm)

2012: 430.6

1956: 417.5

1912: 394.9

2007: 394.4

2020: ~ 390

What are the odds of 2020 sneaking into 3rd place? Probably small based on the forecast for the next couple of days (East Lancs Rain may beg to differ). But only 5mm required it seems. 

Edited by A Face like Thunder

Posted
45 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

What are the odds of 2020 sneaking into 3rd place? Probably small based on the forecast for the next couple of days (East Lancs Rain may beg to differ). But only 5mm required it seems. 

Figures are only up to 27th August, depends how much fell yesterday. 

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Out for a walk by 8 this morning and it felt damn cold under the cloud and in the nagging easterly breeze.

other than the amount of greenery on the trees it could have been early winter.

tbh it’s surprising how short the warm periods we have had this year, certainly up here as even though it was dry, we were still having cold easterly winds well into May.

it then turned wet in June and July which suppressed the temperatures and now we are back to an autumn nip before we leave August.

It may have been a longer, hotter summer for other parts of the country but I think the weather will be not be one of the things to tell the grandkids about when they ask what 2020 was like.

I don't recall much in the way of cold easterly winds in May? The spring in the NW was quite sunny and no doubt above average in the main? And of course very dry also for most days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

I don't recall much in the way of cold easterly winds in May? The spring in the NW was quite sunny and no doubt above average in the main? And of course very dry also for most days. 

We had some here in the South Pennines but we get them quite often in spring.

it was sunny though and certainly dry but often coolish here out of the sun

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Wow this has sneaked up quietly,

Wettest summers on record for region (mm)

2012: 430.6

1956: 417.5

1912: 394.9

2007: 394.4

2020: ~ 390

How about just cloud cover ? Got to be in top 3 for sure ?

Starting to get noticeably colder now, feel like I need the heating on but a hoodie will have to suffice

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A chilly one tonight for August. One of those nights with a good dash of booze to warm you up. Got a nice bottle of port ready to be opened soon.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted

Going off the forecast, today was never going to be a sunbathing and BBQ start to a BHW but even I didn’t expect a decent start to end up as rain from mid afternoon until early evening.

Tomorrow is looking better; i just hope that they end up with a better level of accuracy this time around.

• Like 1

Posted

Another cold start, only managing 15 at the moment even with sunny skies, it's starting to become that awkward time of the year though where midday to evening is t-shirt & short weather but morning & evenings are much too cold for it

• Like 1

Posted

Got down to 2.4C here this morning. Certainly a bit unusual for August. Many a night last Winter were milder, although let's face it, it was atrocious for cold.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Got down to 2.4C here this morning. Certainly a bit unusual for August. Many a night last Winter were milder, although let's face it, it was atrocious for cold.

I guess that’s why your username is Frost Hollow!

• Like 1

Posted

Yet another day where it started off sunny, only for it to be 90% cloud cover by lunchtime, then as I predicted just in the last hour the skies have cleared again, meaning yet another cold night after a chilly day. I think this is about the 4th day in a row this has happened, very annoying.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, SnowThunder said:

Another cold start, only managing 15 at the moment even with sunny skies, it's starting to become that awkward time of the year though where midday to evening is t-shirt & short weather but morning & evenings are much too cold for it

It hasn’t been shorts and t-shirt weather here during any time over the weekend, or any day this week for that matter, except maybe Monday. Yesterday and today were both overcast and very chilly for the time of year, maxima only in the low teens, it also rained for a bit yesterday afternoon as well.

Worst bank holiday I can remember.

Posted
On 29/08/2020 at 20:26, SnowThunder said:

How about just cloud cover ? Got to be in top 3 for sure ?

Starting to get noticeably colder now, feel like I need the heating on but a hoodie will have to suffice

Yes definitely been one of the cloudiest I can remember. It’s just been a cool, cloudy, damp summer overall with a few hot days thrown in here and there.

Ive been wearing a hoodie for most of the summer, been too cold for just a t-shirt most days.

• Like 3

Posted

Cool and fresh but mostly sunny this morning with some white fluffy clouds. Lovely morning for a change. ?

• Like 1

Posted

Not a bad day really for the last day of meteorological Summer. Cool start but in the sunny spells & light wind it felt pleasant enough by afternoon. At least that cold wind from the other day has gone.

• Like 1

Posted

No complaining about today's weather, just right. Lots of sunny spells, little wind, max 18 degrees, and it felt warm in the sun. A lovely August Bank Holiday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Well back to the clothes airers and tumble dryer. Even yesterdays morning sun before the rain, failed to get the washing dry after 4 hours.

Might get something drier today but its going to remain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Back from my holidays in Kos I guess this photo sums it all for me been able to photograph the magnificent sunsets weather for 10 days was perfect temperatures in the high 30s and not one cloud seen....oh well back to Reality currently 16c and overcast in South Cheshire so forgive me for wearing my fleece.....now were did that Holiday brochure go.

C.S

20200831_185723.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Back from my holidays in Kos I guess this photo sums it all for me been able to photograph the magnificent sunsets weather for 10 days was perfect temperatures in the high 30s and not one cloud seen....oh well back to Reality currently 16c and overcast in South Cheshire so forgive me for wearing my fleece.....now were did that Holiday brochure go.

C.S

20200831_185723.jpg

Lovely picture. You're not the only resident of S Cheshire to be wearing a fleece or jersey!

• Like 2