• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another great sunset this evening

Lovely sunset

We didnt get overhead storms.. they continually died before they got here due to a lack of energy here. However it's a good job I have a top floor with a good view.. I managed to catch some lightning.

Posted Images

The lack of extreme heat forecast here isn't a problem as long as it's sunny , anything above 19-20c with sunshine in my South facing garden feels almost tropical anyway

• Like 4

Collected 34.6mm rain from the manual gauge at 10am today. Nearly all came overnight.

All this on top of 266.0mm for July. This was the wettest July recorded here since daily readings for Met Office began in 1968.

So much rain and cloud up here in the western upslopes. A year without a summer, unless August makes a serious effort and brings back sunshine.

So far the total for 2020 is 1132.4mm. Annual totals for 1971. 1995 and 1996 were less!

Gardens, farmland and buildings look wrecked.

Still raining.

• Sad 1

This summer in the NW has been rather meh 😒 whilst as yet not as wet as last year and offering some good storms in June and the odd very warm day here and there it’s been a rather mediocre affair. Things are hotting up the end of this week though and whilst we won’t see the extreme heat of London & the SE  with 26-29c widely and 30c probably being reached across Greater Manchester & Cheshire on Friday it’s going to feel a hot & humid one. Weekend less hot but pleasantly warm temperatures in the low-mid 20s where the sun comes out before perhaps turning very warm-hot once again with high humidity and thunderstorm potential to keep us interested into next week. Probably the most interesting spell of a rather Vanilla Summer to come even for our part of the world! 😄 ☀️  🥵  ⛈ 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Hello from the Lynn Peninsula.

Driving drizzle and 40 mph winds.

Hope you all don't melt back home.

Hope you have a lovely break in Pwllheli.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

This summer in the NW has been rather meh 😒 whilst as yet not as wet as last year and offering some good storms in June and the odd very warm day here and there it’s been a rather mediocre affair. Things are hotting up the end of this week though and whilst we won’t see the extreme heat of London & the SE  with 26-29c widely and 30c probably being reached across Greater Manchester & Cheshire on Friday it’s going to feel a hot & humid one. Weekend less hot but pleasantly warm temperatures in the low-mid 20s where the sun comes out before perhaps turning very warm-hot once again with high humidity and thunderstorm potential to keep us interested into next week. Probably the most interesting spell of a rather Vanilla Summer to come even for our part of the world! 😄 ☀️  🥵  ⛈ 

Anything between 25-30c is enough for me for.

The SE are welcome to the heat and humidity.

Don't know what is about the UK because I am 

Quite happy on my holidays in Greece with temperatures of 40c plus suppose its the low humidity and having a pool to cool of in.

C.S

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Anything between 25-30c is enough for me for.

The SE are welcome to the heat and humidity.

Don't know what is about the UK because I am 

Quite happy on my holidays in Greece with temperatures of 40c plus suppose its the low humidity and having a pool to cool of in.

C.S

It’s the humidity that makes it worse by far. 31/32c last Friday felt relatively pleasant with low humidity this week will be different it’ll feel closer to 35c. 

• Like 1

Mod thread is going 'South East' crazy with forecast of temps in low to mid 30's for the next 5 days or more...well unlike the winter when the whiff of a Siberian 'easterly' is being marked out day+16.. I'm not jealous of what they have coming over the next week.  It won't be a barrel of laughs up here, but we should avoid the extreme heat and humidity reserved for our Southern fried friends.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dodge said:

Mod thread is going 'South East' crazy with forecast of temps in low to mid 30's for the next 5 days or more...well unlike the winter when the whiff of a Siberian 'easterly' is being marked out day+16.. I'm not jealous of what they have coming over the next week.  It won't be a barrel of laughs up here, but we should avoid the extreme heat and humidity reserved for our Southern fried friends.

Looking at the forecast it's going to be hot and cloudy and unpleasant due to humidity 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well it will be warm and pleasant for us here in NW England the SE are welcome to the appresive heat and humidity Pay back will be winter with tons of snow for us.🤣

C.S

• Like 3

Dew point of 18C out there. Certainly warm air aloft at the moment. Air temp gradually creeping up indoors too. Going to feel sticky for the foreseeable given the dew is probably going to stay above 15C for a while.

• Like 2

Very heavy rain overnight Tuesday and Wednesday morning, easily a couple of inches. Today rather cloudy max of 20 degrees. Outlook looking good, but nothing exceptional here, maxes between 21-23 degrees next 3 days, cloudy tomorrow, sunnier weekend. Into next week the easterly feed might bring higher temps into the mid 20s which will be very good. We have had many poor Augusts in recent years. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

Well it will be warm and pleasant for us here in NW England the SE are welcome to the appresive heat and humidity Pay back will be winter with tons of snow for us.🤣

C.S

Knowing our luck they’ll get a Feb 1991 repeat ️ whilst we get some passing sleet showers on the breeze 😄 😔  

• Sad 1

This was the last occasion when there was little cloud all day, 25th June. I don't know what it is with this summer but it feels as though the clouds won't relent whatever weather synoptic 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

Hot and sunny they said🤔

C.S

20200807_102242.jpg

I know, hopefully it'll clear later

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Cloud Starting to break up but its a slow process 

C.S

The sun did break through for a while,but it's clouded over again here

24c & muggy here in Sandbach alternating between cloud and hazy sunshine. As others have mentioned cloud has been such an issue in these parts this summer even during the brief ‘hot’ spells. Summer 2013/ Summer 2018 were memorable as although perhaps not as hot we went several weeks with largely unbroken sunshine and temperatures into the high 20s/ occasionally low 30s. Duration and widespread sunshine and high temperatures rather than local extremes of heat make a true UK heatwave imo. 

• Like 2

As the great scouse philosopher Jim Royle would say "Heatwave ,My A***" ,it's warm here but cloudy and certainly not 'exceptional'

Edited by Spurry
  • Like 2

Reached 27c now the sun has finally broken through here in S Cheshire. Not as warm as last Friday where we managed 30c here. 

• Like 3

London temperature at midnight 29C! Good chance of the high minimum temp record being broken. Anyway just glad it's a lot cooler up here in the NW.

Screenshot_20200807-154656-967.thumb.png.c34dc1fb4bb99b32a690e209ca1aceae.png

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

London temperature at midnight 29C! Good chance of the high minimum temp record being broken. Anyway just glad it's a lot cooler up here in the NW.

Screenshot_20200807-154656-967.thumb.png.c34dc1fb4bb99b32a690e209ca1aceae.png

It would've been nice to see the sun shining though

• Like 2