Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Manchester Airport has recorded a maximum temperature this month of around 21°C on Friday 17th July if this is right. The average high for Manchester Airport in July is 20°C.

cityog.php?title=Past%20Weather%20in&tin
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Weather reports from July 2020 in Manchester, England, United Kingdom with highs and lows

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes I’ve never known such a prolonged spell of below average temperatures in the summer before. As Frost Hollow said, even July 2012 had some warm/hot weather towards the end of the month. And the lack of sunshine makes it worse. To not even reach average temperatures in any month of the year (let alone July) is pretty atrocious to be honest.

Reminds me a bit of July 1988 (though I wasn’t around then). The highest temperatures that month were shocking and abysmal and Manchester never got above 21°C all month. Which could happen this month unless its got above that already.

WWW.THEWEATHEROUTLOOK.COM

As we bask in a glorious spell of weather, we approach the 30-year anniversary of an infamous summer month. And by "infamous" I mean infamously bad: this was a month that most of us...

From memory most 80’s summers were nothing special, certainly up here.

July 83 was a near constant heatwave and summer 84 was largely decent with a drought and hosepipe ban and 89 was not bad on the whole but the others were at best mixed.

that said I don’t think they came close to the utter crap we have endured this month and for a good deal of June.

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, iand61 said:

From memory most 80’s summers were nothing special, certainly up here.

July 83 was a near constant heatwave and summer 84 was largely decent with a drought and hosepipe ban and 89 was not bad on the whole but the others were at best mixed.

that said I don’t think they came close to the utter crap we have endured this month and for a good deal of June.

Summer 89 probably best overall here, it was very good better than many since. Summer 84 also very good. Summer 83 brought a very hot July, agree all the others were preety poor or very poor.

If things don't improve soon, this summer will go down as our worst since at least 2012, payback for the excellent weather late March - late May.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
15 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Summer 89 probably best overall here, it was very good better than many since. Summer 84 also very good. Summer 83 brought a very hot July, agree all the others were preety poor or very poor.

If things don't improve soon, this summer will go down as our worst since at least 2012, payback for the excellent weather late March - late May.

Yeah your probably right about 89 but it was overshadowed a bit by 1990 which was a belter.

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Yeah your probably right about 89 but it was overshadowed a bit by 1990 which was a belter.

For consistency, 1989 far better, the heat tailed off in August but it was a predominantly warm dry sunny summer, hot in July on the back of an excellent May. Summer 1990 reserved it's best weather 4 week window second half July and first half August. May 90 brought a hot early May bank holiday. Given the best weather coincided with school hols, 1990 certainly left a longer lasting impression, but taken as a whole stats show 89 far better here at least. Memories of June weather become hazy when your a child stuck in the classroom.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

Raining again and completely overcast. Throughly depressing. Feel like I’m stuck in the house. Would like to go on a walk but I can’t. This summer is as bad in 2012 in my opinion. Cold, wet and cloudy. The worst combination.

Supposed to be nice tomorrow, sunny intervals and a  high of a whopping 20°C forecast, before more rain over the weekend and next week. East Lancashire has one of the most depressing climates in the world - barely any sun, heat or snow or anything pleasant or interesting most of the time - just thick cloud, persistent dampness and cold rain almost all year round. Like having a permanent Autumn/Winter. We even miss out on the strong winds and thick fog that they get on the coast which would at least make things a bit more exciting. It’s not quite as bad as somewhere like Stornoway or Lerwick but that’s all it has going for it.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I think the spring was our reward for having to endure an exceptionally wet autumn and winter - from late September till early March it was throughly wet and almost sunless - an almost six month period. We were even back in May. However since we’ve had to endure a miserable summer the weather has got some making up to do - maybe a warm September/Indian summer or a snowy spell in winter might just do it.

I certainly don’t want to have to endure persistent rain and dampness from August until next March. Will feel like having a triple autumn.

Definitely agree though about this summer being or worst (or just as bad) as 2012. But even in summer 2012 there were a few nice days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yep, its drizzlemagedon

• Like 2

Posted
17 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Yep, its drizzlemagedon

Welcome to the north west of England, drizzle capital of the world.

• Like 1

Posted

Partly cloudy with intermittent sun, no warmth though sadly. It’s been the worst summer for lack of warmth and sun that I can remember, even in 2012 I can remember the occasional warm/hot day.

Next week looks very mediocre at best, very mixed, temps below 20°C, showers or rain at times, sun at times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

At least that's next week.

I'm off to Pwheli the week after and its going to be glorious...…...ly wet probably.

• Like 2

Posted

After days of pretty much wall to wall crap, at least I have managed to time a day off work with something approaching decent.

just a shame it looks like the weekend is looking dire once again.

never mind as Meatloaf didn’t quite say, “one out of three ain’t bad”

Anyway time to mow the grass.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

It got to 22C at Manchester airport. Warmest day so far this month. Got to 21C here. Not too bad but still a lot of cloud at times to spoil things.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It got to 22C at Manchester airport. Warmest day so far this month. Got to 21C here. Not too bad but still a lot of cloud at times to spoil things.

Yeah not bad today really, felt quite warm in the sun.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Had Worse said:

At least that's next week.

I'm off to Pwheli the week after and its going to be glorious...…...ly wet probably.

Looks nice. Have a great time and fingers crossed the weather improves in August.

WWW.BING.COM

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Not so here. Don't have a weather station at the moment but use the observations from the nearest two weather stations, Higham and Stonyhurst, both just up the road from me. Higham recorded a high of 19.3 and Stonyhurst recorded a maximum of 19.2 at 4 pm, though it's only hourly readings so it's possible it could have got slightly higher between readings.

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Stonyhurst, United Kingdom (99060). It is updated hourly.

But still, not quite managed to reach 20C today. The wait goes on.

At the moment, my next chance of exceeding 20C will be next Friday, with 22C forecast. Will be my last chance I think, otherwise it will be a sub 20C July here.

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not so here. Don't have a weather station at the moment but use the observations from the nearest two weather stations, Higham and Stonyhurst, both just up the road from me. Higham recorded a high of 19.3 and Stonyhurst recorded a maximum of 19.2 at 4 pm, though it's only hourly readings so it's possible it could have got slightly higher between readings.

WWW.WEATHERCAST.CO.UK

A graphical and tabular preparation of weather observations of last week by the WMO weather station from Stonyhurst, United Kingdom (99060). It is updated hourly.

But still, not quite managed to reach 20C today. The wait goes on.

At the moment, my next chance of exceeding 20C will be next Friday, with 22C forecast. Will be my last chance I think, otherwise it will be a sub 20C July here.

Yes still waiting to hit 20 degree here. Hit 19 today. I do think we will see at least one day recording the July average max I.e. 20 degrees. It's been a shocker this month for warmth. None to speak of so far.

• Like 2

Posted

Squall line just come through, hopefully followed by clearer conditions.

Posted

Oh dear. Looks like it will be a cool and wet August this year. WoW. Totally wasn’t expecting that. Not.

Posted
11 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

A far cry from the 25th July 2019 !

Yes I went to Blackpool that day. Roasting.

Posted

Another crap day today, max 17 degrees, overcast, very little sun, but at least it stayed mostly dry. 

But 17 degrees and overcast is very normal for a NW summer so I shouldn't really complain, but I will anyway, because I can.

Posted
13 hours ago, iand61 said:

Squall line just come through, hopefully followed by clearer conditions.

It didn't unfortunately, drier but not clearer.