Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The Wirral is like the Mediterranean cities of Athens and Rome... don't get snow all that often but when it delivers it usually delivers big time. The problem is, it rarely is in a position to deliver.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

5th Jan 2010 I only got 2 inches in Crosby. Don’t know about the Wirral but for me it was like what’s all the fuss  about.

About 2-3 yeah. 17/18th Dec 2010 was the best snowfall since Feb 91 here, 6-8 inches that's biblical for here. 

Speaking to a member a few years back can't remember his name, telling me 1947 was a bit of a sweet spot here. I'll settle for that next week  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold.

Mostly clear, -2.8c  with about 5cm of level snow intact.

Surrounding white hill tops visible against the night sky.

• Like 3

Posted

Just putting rubbish out... a bit slippy 

-4c brrrr clear skies and bright moon... looking hazy Misty over fields 

says freezing fog ? on useless app also says no snow Thursday like it did last night

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Day 10 said:

About 2-3 yeah. 17/18th Dec 2010 was the best snowfall since Feb 91 here, 6-8 inches that's biblical for here. 

Speaking to a member a few years back can't remember his name, telling me 1947 was a bit of a sweet spot here. I'll settle for that next week  

I think 1947 delivered a number of heavy snowfalls in the region.

Going further back late Jan 1940 brought exceptional snowfalls.

We missed out in Jan 2010, just a couple of inches. Indeed we haven't had a single snowfall bring over a foot of snow for nearly 25 years, 5/6 Feb 96 last time it happened, 18 inches then! We've had a few falls give 6-8 inches or so, missed out in March 2013. Last heavy snowfall was late Jan 13. Many a 1-2 inch fall.

Hoping to see a significant over 1 ft fall soon, preferably in January please!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
4 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yeah I had 10–12 inches in Dec 10. Last time I was able to build a snowman.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

In terms of wind direction I think our region is probably the most crazy when it comes to snow variations. Here where I am we seem to do best from easterlys, E or NE winds. Rochdale, Oldham, Tameside and parts of eastern Stockport seem to do best in Greater Manchester from these. But never SE for some reason. Almost always a rain shadow opens up in a SE wind especially if the wind is strong. It really is odd. 

I can get decent amounts from WNW winds or a cold direct westerly (how rare are these nowadays?), but these events are often slushy snow, fleeting and mild air soon follows but nonetheless good to see snow from any source. Northerlys are not that great for here though. Too far inland to benefit from them unless there's troughs in the flow, they just generally give sunny days but penetrating night frosts. But I guess good for northern facing areas such as N Scotland, N Ireland, N Wales, Norfolk etc. These areas can do really well for snow in a proper northerly.

The South Easterlies have a 40 mile run of hills whereas the North Easterlies / Easterlies have a hill run of 18 miles. Plus the sea distance is lower in North Easterlies. BFTE was an ESE so a middle ground - so region did ok and helped by severely cold temps which massively increased the precip to snow accumulation ratio meaning areas which usually get slush from a lack of showers / fohen effect in a more moderated easterly got a good 8cm from the same amount of ppn.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

5th Jan 2010 I only got 2 inches in Crosby. Don’t know about the Wirral but for me it was like what’s all the fuss  about.

Liverpool and the Wirral along with North Cheshire and Gtr Manchester saw the worst of it only rivalled by the 17th Dec event later in the same year. S Cheshire was similar on 5th Jan 2010 we got a few inches 5-7cm (similar to today in fact) I wondered what all the fuss was about until I saw the pics coming in from literally only a few miles north up the M6! Stockport way saw close to a ft of snow. It was a great spell of weather though hopefully to be repeated some time soon. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

The South Easterlies have a 40 mile run of hills whereas the North Easterlies / Easterlies have a hill run of 18 miles. Plus the sea distance is lower in North Easterlies. BFTE was an ESE so a middle ground - so region did ok and helped by severely cold temps which massively increased the precip to snow accumulation ratio meaning areas which usually get slush from a lack of showers / fohen effect in a more moderated easterly got a good 8cm from the same amount of ppn.

I remember in 2018 BFTE, in South manc we had some powdery snow but not much sig. Accumulation, yet down past Stockport saw quite a bit

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Joe Snow said:

Liverpool and the Wirral along with North Cheshire and Gtr Manchester saw the worst of it only rivalled by the 17th Dec event later in the same year. S Cheshire was similar on 5th Jan 2010 we got a few inches 5-7cm (similar to today in fact) I wondered what all the fuss was about until I saw the pics coming in from literally only a few miles north up the M6! Stockport way saw close to a ft of snow. It was a great spell of weather though hopefully to be repeated some time soon. 

In terms if snowfall 17 Dec 09 - 10 Jan 10 best snowy spell since 24 Jan - 9 Feb 96.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The best and deepest snow I ever saw was not in some legendary winter, but a very localised heavy fall of snow in March 2013. It was by far, and still remains the deepest snow I've ever seen in this area. It measured more than 30cm. I don't think I'll see that much ever again.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted

FB_IMG_1608276781438.thumb.jpg.c2fdf68fd1e6a8ab06880f1a965eaa7c.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Dkeane3 said:

I remember in 2018 BFTE, in South manc we had some powdery snow but not much sig. Accumulation, yet down past Stockport saw quite a bit

A slice of South Mancs from Withington to the M60 was the unlucky snow desert of Feb 2018. The initial ESE wind kept the showers mainly south of the M60 with surface temps marginal for settling here too (sun etc). The ENE wind later on produced snow showers city centre north, ENE wind favours Oldham, Rochdale etc which got pummelled from 14 hours of 0.5mm/hr snow on 1st March and ofc no surface marginality here either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yeah it does look a little better tomorrow/Thurs we'll see, but like you say longer term is still looking fantastic so I'm sure snow will arrive at some point. I'm still sticking to thinking Jan could be a belter. Were are you mate Cheshire? You've hit lucky for once. 

Sandbach, SE Cheshire few miles up the road from Crewe 65m asl so proper Cheshire plain territory lol - better than the Wirral but usually not the best for snow as @CreweCold and @captaincroc will tell you. Yeah we along with Gtr Manchester, Stoke and the Peaks were in the sweet spot today. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 3

Just now, Joe Snow said:

Sandbach, SE Cheshire few miles up the road from Crewe so proper 65m asl so proper Cheshire plain territory lol - better than the Wirral but usually not the best for snow as @CreweCold and @captaincroc will tell you. Yeah we along with Gtr Manchester, Stoke and the Peaks were in the sweet spot today. 

This area is does really well from a slack unstable northerly flow for several reasons (related to no rain shadow, inland & adiabatic cooling). Congleton will miss out on the streamer & is decently positioned for Thu for example. Therefore the low lying sweet spot is central Cheshire not just for the precip but also the set up in terms of wintry conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

This area is does really well from a slack unstable northerly flow for several reasons (related to no rain shadow, inland & adiabatic cooling). Congleton will miss out on the streamer & is decently positioned for Thu for example. Therefore the low lying sweet spot is central Cheshire not just for the precip but also the set up in terms of wintry conditions.

Hoping we can pick up a few more cm’s on Thursday. I’m going for a 2- 4cm top up locally here in Sandbach. Similar for Crewe, Northwich areas too fingers crossed ❄️☃️ Whereas Chester, Ellesmere Port and areas further west 1-3cm with more of wintry mix the further west you go, Nothing set in stone yet though. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Agree that Jan 2010 was pretty good - but obviously nothing like Dec 2010; it started on the Friday late evening/ night, and just kept snowing; on Saturday morning it was the deepest I'd seen - and not only that it stayed on the ground for over 10 days. In fact, if I remember rightly, there was still patches in shade on New Years Day.

Since then only the 2013 January falls have been any good; the BFTE was nothing special in terms of volume of snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

However although the climate is pants here, i still wouldnt want to live anywhere else in England, would miss the lakes, rivers and coast too much, would hate living in a city.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Hoping we can pick up a few more cm’s on Thursday. I’m going for a 2- 4cm top up locally here in Sandbach. Similar for Crewe, Northwich areas too fingers crossed ❄️☃️ Whereas Chester, Ellesmere Port and areas further west 1-3cm with more of wintry mix the further west you go, Nothing set in stone yet though. 

I would say that is a fair shot if the main precip area stays central to the region, there is a trend for this to become shunted west in some output & risk more associated with an earlier intermediate band giving 1-3cm out to near the coast.

Totals / marginality west of Manchester largely depend on the "curvature" of the precip area which will affect wind direction etc. Manage to get a northerly & snow to coast - most data suggests a slight NNW wind so marginal west of the M6. Totals further east related to precip longevity & so really up in arms a little as per above, 1-3cm or 5-10cm possible.

39-778UK.gif

39-574UK (1).gif

iconeu_uk1-3-52-0.png

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Latest Metoffice text forecast:

Headline:

Cold and mostly dry today, then snow for some overnight.

Today:

A frosty start, with icy surfaces and possibly a few fog patches. Then calm and mostly dry through the day, with sunny spells in the afternoon. Scattered wintry showers will affect southern areas, especially by the coast. Feeling cold. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Tonight:

Cloud will move in from the north during the evening, bringing with it outbreaks of snow or sleet, falling heaviest in the south later on. Widespread frosts and icy conditions. Minimum temperature -4 °C

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Crewe 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

• Like 1