Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

Posted
    17 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

574E748D-0506-432A-973C-E94DACDCC838.thumb.png.7f00f845ba1e9b77a0f23f825d89329a.png

Looks like going under Chorley again. 2 days in a row !!

Yes Arpege is a little dissapointing for many bit of a trend south. This is probably a little too south tho, model seems to be over compensating the south signal.

On radar precip is developing east of the North York Moors which should give more northern areas a shot, though unfortunately there has been a trend to dive the precip sharply south over the Pennines so it might be confined to south of the M62.

Edited by Kasim Awan
    • Like 4
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice and fresh on the tops with snow becoming powdery & forming a glaze layer. -2C at present.

Looks like someone was looking for an argument in here (and in other parts of the forum as it goes), those posts have been removed now, so please refresh the screen if you still see them. 

About 2 inches now.. Never expected this. 

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and/or snow in Winter.
    1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

I've always maintained the best snowfall chance was going to be last night but it was marginal for those at lower levels and so it proven in some cases. As soon as the winds increase, the lack of cold uppers will come into play. As it happens as it often does, the forecast changes slightly but again snowfall is likely to be transient in nature and quite hit and miss. 

I just think the synotopics flatter to decieve, if we got this slack low pressure set up but with - 6 uppers, that should be cold enough but with - 3 to - 4 uppers, it's more touch and go. 

I just hope eventually if we did get rises towards Greenland, colder air can flood down.

Apart from yourself I don't see anyone else complaining about transient snow. Snow is snow, better than nothing at all. And I'd more than welcome even colder weather like 10 years ago or other historical classics. We are in a far better position this Winter for that to be accomplished than the last two which were frankly diabolical.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

2365CDB9-5C8C-4D26-A47B-0234F0B7C608.thumb.png.f2c82d9f44e2eafb2fa9c957f50dd6db.png

Arome takes it through the south of the region and hits the same areas as yesterday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
    13 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yes Arpege is a little dissapointing for many bit of a trend south. This is probably a little too south tho, model seems to be over compensating the south signal.

On radar precip is developing east of the North York Moors which should give more northern areas a shot, though unfortunately there has been a trend to dive the precip sharply south over the Pennines so it might be confined to south of the M62.

Arpege looks good for here

• Like 1
    Posted

-2c icy frosty eventhough cloud cover but not low/foggy like earlier... hoping for something white falling from the sky but “it’s nowcasting rather than model watching then look back after and see which was right time” ❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
    1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

So does Arome.

edge of Preston must be the worst place in the country for snow

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Apart from yourself I don't see anyone else complaining about transient snow. Snow is snow, better than nothing at all. And I'd more than welcome even colder weather like 10 years ago or other historical classics. We are in a far better position this Winter for that to be accomplished than the last two which were frankly diabolical.

Yeah but it can be a bit like I seen some thunder and lightning but only saw 4 flashes and that's it, not too memorable. 

Granted snow is snow and some areas have seen a decent covering. I just wish things were a touch colder than what is being shown and with a warming world, we need to make the most of stunning synotopics so yes it's a little dissapointing if the air is not as cold as it could of been. 

Posted
    7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah further south east looks potentially safer in the more south easterly track.. Interesting nowcast. Peaks definitely getting it.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and/or snow in Winter.
    2 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Yeah but it can be a bit like I seen some thunder and lightning but only saw 4 flashes and that's it, not too memorable. 

Granted snow is snow and some areas have seen a decent covering. I just wish things were a touch colder than what is being shown and with a warming world, we need to make the most of stunning synotopics so yes it's a little dissapointing if the air is not as cold as it could of been. 

We'll have to make do. Anyway as others have said there's some discrepancies with the models about tonight where it might snow. Now casting looks to be the player but I'm not staying up all night. Going to set the alarm early.

• Like 2
    Posted

Not making the same mistake again, get a few hours kip and get up at 6 to see if there ks anything falling from the sky! 🙂

• Like 4
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, jam2010 said:

Not making the same mistake again, get a few hours kip and get up at 6 to see if there ks anything falling from the sky! 🙂

At the rate that's moving you can probably get up at 6pm

Posted
    20 hours ago, Joe Snow said:

Crewe and Nantwich have a microclimate I think they often seem to get less snow than everywhere surrounding in these sort of marginal situations. 

Agreed mate, I've very often drove from Alsager with little Snow and got to Butt Lane / Kidsgrove to a complete covering lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Nothing going on here

Posted
    18 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Currently -2.1 DP -3.2

Definitely snow a most likely precip for you mate a couple cm maybe. That temp will narrow the inversion aloft from lower levels. It's west of Mcr & M6 that will get the warm layer 500-1500ft later on... Buxton will get 10-15cm from this.

• Like 1
    Posted
    15 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Atm the radar is nicely positioned for it to pretty much follow the M62 lol

Any ideas for the South Cheshire / North Staffs Border mate? 

Posted
    Just now, Andypvfc said:

Any ideas for the South Cheshire / North Staffs Border mate? 

As I said yesterday, 1-4m below 200m and 3-9cm above if you hit the main precip

No inversion for you.

Posted
    4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

As I said yesterday, 1-4m below 200m and 3-9cm above if you hit the main precip

No inversion for you.

Cheers mate, yeah we are slightly higher than Crewe and ended up with around 3ins yesterday morning. Another potential fun day as a cabbie around Newcastle under Lyme and Stoke lol

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

-1.0°C here happy that it’s not risen any more. Had a minimum of -1.7° at some point during the night.

Looks like I may have woken up too early still