Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
7 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

ECM's back on 

Yep its a cracker....at day 10

Toys back in pram on mod thread well at least  for the next few hours 

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

For me ideal time for a proper cold spell is from now until about mid Feb, we are now in the time of year when we can tap into properly cold upper air temps. Late Feb & March 2018 was great with some magnificent drifts round here but I did think what if it was a month to 6 weeks earlier. Would've given January 1987 a run for it's money that's for sure. It just seems very difficult to get a great cold spell in the dead of Winter these days. Last one was January 2013. Nearly 8 years ago.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

For me ideal time for a proper cold spell is from now until about mid Feb, we are now in the time of year when we can tap into properly cold upper air temps. Late Feb & March 2018 was great with some magnificent drifts round here but I did think what if it was a month to 6 weeks earlier. Would've given January 1987 a run for it's money that's for sure. It just seems very difficult to get a great cold spell in the dead of Winter these days. Last one was January 2013. Nearly 8 years 

Yes been awhile, even longer since we had a cold run in to Christmas, 10 years now and waiting... Jan 2009 and much more so Jan 2010 seem rare oddities, along with the Jan 2013 spell. Jan 87 spell was perfectly timed after a mild December, slap bang mid January, optimum time for cold. More generally late Jan, early Feb probably most absolute optimal time for deep cold from the continent, its had a long time to cool down, and still early enough to not feel effects of rising solar heating. Just like late July and early August time when heat is likely to be most intense, think 1995 and 2003.

• Like 2

Posted

GFS 18z is pure filth...I'm not having it i tell you I'm not having itBeen taken in to many times...naughty GFS take yourself to the naughty step.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
5 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

GFS 18z is pure filth...I'm not having it i tell you I'm not having itBeen taken in to many times...naughty GFS take yourself to the naughty step.

C.S

You mean that Easterly..... 

Posted

Well after the utter absurdity of yesterdays FI GFS flip heres the situation of things a week on Friday.

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.d94e37d2df97153fe80bdde98eac6c3f.png

h500slp.thumb.png.a2fff5157604af3913d0faefd8296653.png

(Christmas Eve)

Posted

Despite rain lashing on windows since about 5 am, there was only 1.4mm in the gauge at 9am.  But that was just enough to reach 3rd wettest annual total in last 50 years -- current total 1937.4mm.   Only 1947.4mm (in 2000) and 1984.0 mm (in 2012)  to beat.   Another cloudy day.   But there's roses and annual flowers still blooming.

• Like 1

Posted

14FC43E2-8079-4D10-8A91-292FCB8A5523.thumb.jpeg.0d2135341c794c9a35eadebf13dd4b4e.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A bit of a damp one today.

nothing more positive to add really other than a chance of something more wintry around Christmas but probably restricted to altitudes that few if anyone lives at.

still a few flakes falling would be nice.

• Like 1

Posted

I've seen worse ensembles that's for sure.

gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w.thumb.jpeg.09907a2927d65a0200c9e9104b063769.jpeg1224887706_gfs-oldham-gb-535n-2w(1).thumb.jpeg.1c05351cecc7b821ea9277858e040331.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Happy to be looking at a seasonal Xmas this year but it’s funny how here in the UK we all are excitedly chasing a few frosts, 3-5c  and the chance of a wintry shower whilst Georgia to New York in the US are looking at blizzards of up to 1-2ft of snow in the next 24 hours! ❄️ Oh how I would love to live somewhere with a continental climate!  ⛄️ ❄️ 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

14FC43E2-8079-4D10-8A91-292FCB8A5523.thumb.jpeg.0d2135341c794c9a35eadebf13dd4b4e.jpeg

I'd take that for christmas, preferably mins at or just below freezing, which I think is very plausible. Will be nice to see some snow on the fells as well. In the meantime those true dark wet days before christmas just got to get through, thankfully this week's weather is happening now and not next week, otherwise a very mild miserable wet christmas would be on the cards

• Like 1

Posted

After viewing the GFS 18z I will go with this for my total snow accumulation for winter 2020-2021

C.S

20201216_160746.jpg

Posted

Cumbria Ensembles dropping :santa-emoji:

t2mCumbria.thumb.png.386cdadf58b94dc9172218898d0406db.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Who remembers 10 years ago tonight? The snow arrives that Friday evening and it snowed into the earlier hours. A memorable evening.

Aye, not a lot here, but was a taster to the main course later on the tuesday/wednesday, no actually was thinking of 27th Nov,  Sat 18th Dec? snowed quite a lot too

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

I travelled over to Newcastle upon Tyne that evening, remember there being a frost on the car at around 17:00, there was a heavy snow shower around Haydon Bridge and temperature on arrival around freezing, snow showers off and on. I was away until Monday 21,  there was a good snowfall on Sunday 20 here. I arrived back just in time before the thunder snow during the evening of 21st, depositing a further 4 inches. Also same night had an earth tremor. What timing just before christmas, the run in to christmas 2009 best I can remember on the snowfall front, not near as cold as 2010, but far better snowfall wise. There was a further inch late on 23rd December.

• Like 2

Posted

So jealous NYC snow storm last night.

C.S

FB_IMG_1608238137868.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Who remembers 10 years ago tonight? The snow arrives that Friday evening and it snowed into the earlier hours. A memorable evening.

A great event that really topped off Dec 2010 - it pelted it down and we ended up with around 15cm from that event that locally was better than even the 4th/5th Jan event of the same year where South Cheshire missed out on the higher snow totals further north towards Manchester - we got about  5-10cm where as as close as Macclesfield got close to a ft of snow! ❄️⛄️ Here’s hoping for at least some significant snow this year. 

• Like 2

Posted

2010 was a superb year for cold & snow. Absolutely fantastic. Significant snow events earlier in the year with prolonged cold and also similar later on in the year too. Won't forget the giant icicles hanging from all the gutters either during those spells. That is a sign of a major cold spell by UK standards. Will we see the likes of 2010 ever again with a warming climate? Probably but the gaps inbetween these events will grow. Unfortunately we're very much in one right now. I did think after that 2009-2013 run of colder Winters that we might have turned a corner but it wasn't to be. It's been very poor after that except the beasts from the east in Feb & March 2018.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Joe Snow said:

A great event that really topped off Dec 2010 - it pelted it down and we ended up with around 15cm from that event that locally was better than even the 4th/5th Jan event of the same year where South Cheshire missed out on the higher snow totals further north towards Manchester - we got about  5-10cm where as as close as Macclesfield got close to a ft of snow! ❄️⛄️ Here’s hoping for at least some significant snow this year. 

I think the Merseyside/Southport area get hammered from this event

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

2010 was a superb year for cold & snow. Absolutely fantastic. Significant snow events earlier in the year with prolonged cold and also similar later on in the year too. Won't forget the giant icicles hanging from all the gutters either during those spells. That is a sign of a major cold spell by UK standards. Will we see the likes of 2010 ever again with a warming climate? Probably but the gaps inbetween these events will grow. Unfortunately we're very much in one right now. I did think after that 2009-2013 run of colder Winters that we might have turned a corner but it wasn't to be. It's been very poor after that except the beasts from the east in Feb & March 2018.

Dare I say it, possibly this Winter. It's our best chance since.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
9 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah those icicles were insane.

I also recall the sound of an avalanche as all the snow came off my rough in one go!! 

• Like 2