Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

crazy difference in the regions temperature at the moment. 

It's currently +4C here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
3 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

It's currently +4C here

Liverpool Airport +3C
Manchester Airport -3C.

Crazy. Hovering around 0C here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Just now, Backtrack said:

Liverpool Airport +3C
Manchester Airport -3C.

Crazy. Hovering around 0C here.

the snow limit might be closer to the coast than we think. I recall about 7-8 years ago standing on top of Poll Hill in Heswall just looking down and seeing Neston and beyond just a white sheet, but on Poll Hill it had been raining. That was quite weird but not unheard of.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, SP1986 said:

the snow limit might be closer to the coast than we think. I recall about 7-8 years ago standing on top of Poll Hill in Heswall just looking down and seeing Neston and beyond just a white sheet, but on Poll Hill it had been raining. That was quite weird but not unheard of.

Crazy isn't it. I never class myself as close to the coast, but as the crow flies, it isn't actually that far is it. If you look on Met Office WOW, you can see the temperature 'boundary' clearly on the map. 3-5C in the Wirral, but as you move closer and closer to Speke way, it drops off, then heads down into negative as you hit Warrington.

0.6C here, it's still falling, so I'm hoping the milder air out west can't mix the colder air out this far inland. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Crazy isn't it. I never class myself as close to the coast, but as the crow flies, it isn't actually that far is it. If you look on Met Office WOW, you can see the temperature 'boundary' clearly on the map. 3-5C in the Wirral, but as you move closer and closer to Speke way, it drops off, then heads down into negative as you hit Warrington.

0.6C here, it's still falling, so I'm hoping the milder air out west can't mix the colder air out this far inland. 

If I consider past experience, I reckon any showers you see will be snow tonight, I think.

Posted
Just now, SP1986 said:

If I consider past experience, I reckon any showers you see will be snow tonight, I think.

Haha, only one way to find out. There's some showers heading this way that're currently over the IOM. The Irish Sea has been really quiet our way recently. I remember when it used to produce hail storms. some lasted for hours and gave a good dumping. We're so overdue some Irish Sea madness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
48 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Near the coast these lower temperatures reflect a cold inversion which would be eroded under heavy precip. This would then increase surface and expose the 150m freezing level expected given the. Now get light precip which does not erode the surface cold layer & snow is quite possibly, similarly in very heavy precip. 

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking and a big risk of ice pellets in light showers as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

It's currently +4C here

In a word - CRAP! 

Just aswell the Arctic is coming to visit for a while in about a weeks time to stop this micro climate nonsense! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Thursday still looking good on the 18z - perhaps overdoing the marginality this time on the coast IMO so may bring more of Merseyside/ Wirral into play. Not a done deal yet though and slight changes in track will make all the difference. 6E59C34F-4275-4989-B453-AE27DD573B6B.thumb.jpeg.e97360c69cb5bc7f1091a36e8936a358.jpeg8F0AA64B-8289-4363-980E-FDD533ADE0E9.thumb.jpeg.22f4208482faab43472da935381f76d4.jpeg

And JFF (Just For Fun) take a cheeky look at next Friday on the 18z ☃️ - Irish Sea turns into a Cheshire Gap snow machine and gives us more fun and games on the snow front and not to mention a bitter cold night to follow. Won’t be there in the morning I’m sure but nice to see such scenarios are being played around with. There’s kind of a Winter 95/96 feel to these charts. Lots to keep an eye on the next week or so! ☃️❄️ 

B189509E-A38D-471A-83F1-D1661E9C8478.thumb.jpeg.5d39f5c76d054a7b81b4961ed08e7c9c.jpeg8B2D894F-59A1-4629-9186-3936B1AA0D91.thumb.jpeg.da155c79d4b10b6900c804a3c120fc3d.jpeg

39E51E8E-142A-446C-9CA0-172C4D5F34A1.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Nice and fresh on the tops with snow becoming powdery & forming a glaze layer. -2C at present.

20201229_192132.jpg

Wow top pic, different world mate. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Speaking of places as a weather enthusiast I'd personally hate to live somewhere like Whitehaven in Cumbria. Well actually I wouldn't live there. It's mostly devoid of anything interesting. Often too sheltered for a northerly and too far west and sheltered for an easterly. Similar for any proper Summer weather. I suppose if wind & rain is your thing it's got that going for it. Still a good candidate for the worst climate in the NW though.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Thursday still looking good on the 18z - perhaps overdoing the marginality this time on the coast IMO so may bring more of Merseyside/ Wirral into play. Not a done deal yet though and slight changes in track will make all the difference. 6E59C34F-4275-4989-B453-AE27DD573B6B.thumb.jpeg.e97360c69cb5bc7f1091a36e8936a358.jpeg8F0AA64B-8289-4363-980E-FDD533ADE0E9.thumb.jpeg.22f4208482faab43472da935381f76d4.jpeg

And JFF (Just For Fun) take a cheeky look at next Friday on the 18z ☃️ - Irish Sea turns into a Cheshire Gap snow machine and gives us more fun and games on the snow front and not to mention a bitter cold night to follow. Won’t be there in the morning I’m sure but nice to see such scenarios are being played around with. There’s kind of a Winter 95/96 feel to these charts. Lots to keep an eye on the next week or so! ☃️❄️ 

B189509E-A38D-471A-83F1-D1661E9C8478.thumb.jpeg.5d39f5c76d054a7b81b4961ed08e7c9c.jpeg8B2D894F-59A1-4629-9186-3936B1AA0D91.thumb.jpeg.da155c79d4b10b6900c804a3c120fc3d.jpeg

39E51E8E-142A-446C-9CA0-172C4D5F34A1.jpeg

In a word - BANK!  

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Nice and fresh on the tops with snow becoming powdery & forming a glaze layer. -2C at present.

20201229_192132.jpg

Is that a street light or the moon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
Just now, Day 10 said:

In a word - BANK!  

LOL You would be buried on the Wirral - 5th Jan 2010 all over again if that Friday chart came off. Nice eye candy but fingers crossed for you on Thursday I have family in Bromborough and know how tough it can be to get snow on the Wirral at times. Like tonight’s temps have shown you guys really do have your own micro climate ☃️❄️  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It’s crazy because the airport is only 2 miles to the south of me and it often is 2° warmer than me like now.

• Like 1

Posted

5th Jan 2010 I only got 2 inches in Crosby. Don’t know about the Wirral but for me it was like what’s all the fuss  about.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

GFS showing heights drifting away to our SE in FI in quite a few runs lately, a trend to be worried about? Loving the next 10 days on the 18z though! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
15 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Speaking of places as a weather enthusiast I'd personally hate to live somewhere like Whitehaven in Cumbria. Well actually I wouldn't live there. It's mostly devoid of anything interesting. Often too sheltered for a northerly and too far west and sheltered for an easterly. Similar for any proper Summer weather. I suppose if wind & rain is your thing it's got that going for it. Still a good candidate for the worst climate in the NW though.

I can vouch for that unfortunately

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

LOL You would be buried on the Wirral - 5th Jan 2010 all over again if that Friday chart came off. Nice eye candy but fingers crossed for you on Thursday I have family in Bromborough and know how tough it can be to get snow on the Wirral at times. Like tonight’s temps have shown you guys really do have your own micro climate ☃️❄️  

Yeah it does look a little better tomorrow/Thurs we'll see, but like you say longer term is still looking fantastic so I'm sure snow will arrive at some point. I'm still sticking to thinking Jan could be a belter. Were are you mate Cheshire? You've hit lucky for once. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
22 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

20201229_192132.jpg

Thinking of moving to Buxton now... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, Dkeane3 said:

GFS showing heights drifting away to our SE in FI in quite a few runs lately, a trend to be worried about? Loving the next 10 days on the 18z though! 

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Even after it's update I still find it to be too progressive of a model in bringing cold spells to an end quicker than reality. I'd say the next week (at least) is looking nailed for the cold to carry on. If I was a betting man I wouldn't put much money on mild weather getting in soon after neither. We have a lot going in our favour at present.

• Like 1