Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

FGS, if the BBC graphics are close to being true we’re entering drought conditions IMBY

after tonight’s slightest of potential, it’s dry dry dry until new year.

One crumb of comfort though is that today I was forecast snow throughout and it’s been mainly dry so the BBC’s information isn’t something you’d put your last fiver on.

Posted
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

FGS, if the BBC graphics are close to being true we’re entering drought conditions IMBY

after tonight’s slightest of potential, it’s dry dry dry until new year.

One crumb of comfort though is that today I was forecast snow throughout and it’s been mainly dry so the BBC’s information isn’t something you’d put your last fiver on.

Might be some surprises this week(not necessary this region) but it's very hit and miss. 

Anyways we may not get much if any PPN tonight as the models seem to be reverting most of it heading down the Irish Sea and looking at the radar, that does look a possibility. Very messy and complex set up to get the details exactly right but I was a little more encouraged last night but not now, hope that will change though. 

That said, good too see some snow reports coming in, mostly higher ground but the snow level has seemed to dropped a bit now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Only 3.2°C now  so another degree or so and we can start to get interested below 200 m. Only problem is there is no precip  here yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Cracking news in the tweet thread too now regarding major SSW! Are we on the verge of an historic Winter, it certainly has all the ingredients! It has to happen again sometime. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Looking forward some  more interesting weather in the next week or so. Chance of snow down to low levels where showers hit where they are heavy.

Pretty chilly currently at 2.9C and a dewpoint of 1.6C in Wirral .. even now that's conducive to sleet

Posted
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

Cracking news in the tweet thread too now regarding major SSW! Are we on the verge of an historic Winter, it certainly has all the ingredients! It has to happen again sometime. 

I mean, there's reasons to be optimistic but how many times have we been here before? Thinking were on the verge only to get nothing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

No we are not due a particularly cold winter with any significant major snowfalls. The ramping and hyping this winter had been obscene. Don’t fall for it.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

I mean, there's reasons to be optimistic but how many times have we been here before? Thinking were on the verge only to get nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

No we are not due a particularly cold winter with any significant major snowfalls. The ramping and hyping this winter had been obscene. Don’t fall for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I personally don't think we are heading into a historic winter... The cold upper air is nowhere to be seen.

However it does look like it'll be the coldest  period of weather since 2013

Ps it's raining

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow
Just now, Day 10 said:

just a shame we can't even it if its a stonking event coming up, if like me, the nearest place to get snow is 30 miles away.....and we can't bloody travel anywhere during lockdown.  Just bloody typical.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Not saying anything will happen, but we are definitely due one given the krap we have had to endure the last 7 years except for 5 days at the end of February 2018. I thought the early 00s were bad, the 2013-2020 run surely had to be up there as one of the worst winter cluster since the last interglacial over 100,000 years ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

Mod thread going doollaly over a Beast from East, hardly much use to us. 

Tell me when we've a straight northerly or north, north westerly. 

NWly never seems cold enough

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

Not saying anything will happen, but we are definitely due one given the krap we have had to endure the last 7 years except for 5 days at the end of February 2018. I thought the early 00s were bad, the 2013-2020 run surely had to be up there as one of the worst winter cluster since the last interglacial over 100,000 years ago.

We've reliably had a few snow events each winter here since I moved a few years ago. That's all you need. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

We've reliably had a few snow events each winter here since I moved a few years ago. That's all you need. 

The average is 8 days of lying snow for most inland parts of the country. I make it about 5-10/56 for most low lying places, if they're lucky, in the last 7 years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Anyone in Burnley, Blackburn?

Yes me.. We have a covering in Blackburn.. Heavy graupelish haily snow   mix about an hour ago. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

I personally don't think we are heading into a historic winter... The cold upper air is nowhere to be seen.

However it does look like it'll be the coldest  period of weather since 2013

Ps it's raining

The Winter in general, not the next few days. 

The way the NH is at present & the forecasted SSW in the first part of Jan has the best ingredients in a long time to deliver a real Winter, a Winter of note. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
1 minute ago, chicken soup said:

Yes me.. We have a covering in Blackburn.. Heavy graupelish haily snow   mix about an hour ago. 

Edit.. Light snow now. 

Posted

Preston has been hit by the streamer up north and some icy conditions reported on the M6 Jn 30 which has caused a closure due to accidents

image.thumb.png.44b69b5365f9ca8a10b5073bfdfed0c1.pngimage.thumb.png.b756d835780d9f7098dd9eb064ab30a4.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Raining!!

wish in these set ups I lived near Bacup

Posted
14 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Anyone in Burnley, Blackburn?

In Blackburn. Yes covering of what could actually be termed snow now. Was a bit graupelly/slush to start but sorted itself it out. Impressive given how wet it was.

Edited by Deep Snow please