Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, fellmike said:

CREWE!! ARE WE GOING.TO SEE SNOW  IF SO.WJEN?

@Kasim Awan is the man to be updated by. He has run his own weather site before

Posted

I’m not sure I’ll see any snow laying but falling probably... Monday is completely up in the air but showers tomorrow... more than likely hit and miss... where they band together or are frequent hits the jackpot for the region... currently 6c and lashing it down... wind isn’t as strong as other day when we had no weather warning... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

ICON

iconeu_uk1-46-42-0.thumb.png.8608915b93d7ab93a3d25e97251de53d.png

• Like 1

Posted

Well it seems more likely the NW will see some PPN overnight Sunday into Monday but of course the uppers have downgraded by a degree(-3 instead of - 4) which is not alot but could make all the difference for lower levels. 

It's a case of waiting and seeing, at least one good thing is that it's occurring at night rather than during daylight hours. I do suspect for lying snow, you have to be at least 100M above sea level. 

Posted

Torrential rain.... wind is up and down but not that bad... some howling gusts but nowhere near as srong as the other day...

5c now..... will probably get some back edge sleet/snow but nothing of intensity so probably won’t lay.... 

only thing of more interest is Sunday overnight... still up in the air anything between 2cm and 20cm on hills... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Something to wet your appetites and dream of. Asahikawa in Japan 66cm of snow on the ground. They get some tonkings that's for sure. One time I looked there was over 100cm laying on ground.

Screenshot_20201227-001855.thumb.png.97cff7056c9e2239ce64340dd6420aef.png

Link to webcam:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

WRF is back onboard with tomorrow night precip. Wrong side of marginal on the immediate coast I think but fine a few miles inland. Looks conducive  for my location 7 miles SE of Liverpool. A chance evaporative cooling may make it conducive at the immediate coast also if precip is heavy enough.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

Well it seems more likely the NW will see some PPN overnight Sunday into Monday but of course the uppers have downgraded by a degree(-3 instead of - 4) which is not alot but could make all the difference for lower levels. 

It's a case of waiting and seeing, at least one good thing is that it's occurring at night rather than during daylight hours. I do suspect for lying snow, you have to be at least 100M above sea level. 

Remember the T850s are not really representative due to the low geo- potential heights so probably the T800s are more useful in this situation. They’re about -5 – -6.

Suspect you are right with your lying snow threshold though evaporative cooling would likely lower this at times.

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
22 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Remember the T850s are not really representative due to the low geo- potential heights so probably the T800s are more useful in this situation. They’re about -5 – -6.

Suspect you are right with your lying snow threshold though evaporative cooling would likely lower this at times.

I do hope so Chris as this is realistically our only opportunity too see any snowfall nevermind lying snow. I guess during the day tomorrow it will be more about the convective elements although my experiences of the North West and convective showers are not great and any showers tend to be the very hit and miss 'popcorn' showers. It seems the main interest will be when winds go offshore as the low centre passes over us, how much PPN there will be remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Thanks. I am happy to contribute! The upcoming set up has varying levels of potential for most of the region.

I think it could end up down to radar watching but I feel the models are trending away for this region. the last UKV run, virtually the whole region is dry

Posted

Still dark outside but we have a wintry mix falling outside already, rain radar shows the green colour. Temp 3 degrees.  This bodes very well for a day of lively convection over Lake District, fells are about to see alot of snow.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

Hills are white whilst ground is wet here... hail showers at 4/5am... 2c and snow showers now... 

latest netweather forecast, as it always does, as you get closer to t0 showing 8mm from snow showers plus 11mm overnight tomorrow night

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Went to bed with rain lashing against the windows and a raging torrent of a stream down from the house and then woke up to ice everywhere.

all we need now is the forecast snow showers to arrive and it could be an interesting days weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just having a light snow shower but even after all of the overnight rain, the ground is so cold that every flake is sticking.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

A good entertaining evening that - really out at sea.

Hail shower just passed.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Went to bed with rain lashing against the windows and a raging torrent of a stream down from the house and then woke up to ice everywhere.

all we need now is the forecast snow showers to arrive and it could be an interesting days weather.

I'm at over 400 feet across the water from you guys and getting rain.

Looks like 800 feet is needed at the moment for sticking snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Showers becoming more and more wintry . Ground soaking so nothing sticking. 

Edited by Winter Hill
  • Like 2

Posted

Bella has smashed our 50yr annual max record.    (Manual daily gauge on Met office observers site.  Collected 9am GMT)

After yesterday's 21.5mm,  2020 is now 1996.2 mm.  (previous record was 1984.0 mm in 2012)

Hail just now.  Beefy looking showers upwind.  Could reach 2000 mm by tomorrow.  Incredible wetness.