Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 3 June 2020 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Right now Thursday/Friday is looking good for the region. Some things are going for us at present - cold air mass, the region on the northern side of the LP & relatively light winds should all help with potential snow. The slow moving LP system seems to chuck in a lot of precipitation at us and some of this will probably be wintry as early as Thursday morning for high ground but the best chances for more of us will be Thursday night into Friday. 

I'm still going for a real mixed bag, obviously the further inland and higher up you are the better for the real white stuff, settling in places too I suspect. I think I'm more likely to see rain, sleet, soft hail here near the coast but who knows snow can be so random at times especially in these unusual setups, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Posted

I've just spotted Will so snow must be due in his backyard soon! Lucky sod!

Posted
13 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I've just spotted Will so snow must be due in his backyard soon! Lucky sod!

-3c this morning... frost in shade until midday... nice ground cooling for any settling hail/snow....  only expecting white hills around but hoping for a dusting... just put up Christmas decs so feeling a little festive ❄️ 

• Like 3

Posted

Just thought I'd share these, stumbled on them just now. Courtesy of the Liverpool Echo.

1_Sefton-Park-1963.thumb.jpg.5ea3cec8bce69a6b3a465fa7ea5ecf66.jpg

An afternoon walk on the park lake. The overnight fall of snow ruined skating chances on Sefton Park lake but many people had the experience of walking on the lake. The Parks Department allowed this for the first time in 15 years. Liverpool, Merseyside. 21st January 1963.

0_Pier-Head-1968.thumb.jpg.1e24aabb958c3114baff9356cc2a1a98.jpg

The bleak scene at the Pier Head as the snow gets a grip. Liverpool, Merseyside. 6th February 1968.

2_Shops-in-Liverpool-1985.thumb.jpg.13f26b5e97f251fc0f2808ce39cb3fc3.jpg

Huddled up against the winter snow, shoppers in a strangely quiet Church Street during the morning. 11th February 1985.

MPP_LEC_101214_winter_15.thumb.jpg.3a1ef2833f65ad13b0133df9949d2291.jpg

A photo brought in by Mr George Bentley of the sea at Southport frozen over in winter of 1962/63

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Other than having open moorland on my doorstep,  there’s not a lot of advantages of living up in the clouds but hopefully a bit of snow later this week will make up for the wet misty crap which seems to have lasted for months.

Edited by iand61
Spelling mistake
  • Like 3

Posted

Based on current output which may and probably will change, Thursday evening into Friday morning looks likely to be the period of time when snow is most likely to fall to relatively low levels. Nightime cooling will help, light winds, dewpoints, uppers and thicknesses all look just about right side of marginal. Anywhere with a bit of height away from coast could see quite a bit. All though dependent on whether any precipitation actually falls, and where, and how intense it becomes. Evaporative cooling situation, the heavier it is the colder the air will become.

It will be nice just to see first snows on the fells, and hoping to be able to step into some over the weekend, and the cold air isn't going anywhere fast so it should stick, even if it retreats to the most highest ground.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

A messy 72hrs coming up expect weather warnings to be issued either tomorrow or Thursday for snow for the higher ground of the region as Damion has posted above Thursday night into Friday morning looks the prime time for snow to fall to lower levels.looks like the LP systems will just spin round the main trough instead of departing to our NE thanks to the huge block to our East so even into Saturday PPN looks like heading our way although by this stage snow will be restricted to the highest hills as the DP and 850s start to rise not that you will feel the difference as it will still feel cold at the surface.

C.S

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Not posted for a few months, I always find the transition period between summer and winter a bit tedious and mundane weather wise. Great pictures above btw Day 10, thanks for sharing. It's great to be looking at the potential for snow again. Friday looks the optimum period around these parts and whilst I don't expect any settling snow, it would be great to see snow falling a least. Those higher up and towards the East of our region will do quite well I suspect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Friday afternoon is my prediction as the LP front wraps around from the E NE meeting straight Northerlies and look at all that moisture. Uplands potentially a good pasting.              

F6A6E53E-80FB-4389-8706-AECCD553F876.thumb.png.13f37cc53c16e5548fd0aad836d9a634.png

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Not posted for a few months, I always find the transition period between summer and winter a bit tedious and mundane weather wise. Great pictures above btw Day 10, thanks for sharing. It's great to be looking at the potential for snow again. Friday looks the optimum period around these parts and whilst I don't expect any settling snow, it would be great to see snow falling a least. Those higher up and towards the East of our region will do quite well I suspect.

Hello Dexter. Looking forward to your input. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
2 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Hello Dexter. Looking forward to your input. 

Thanks, likewise! That's a beauty of a chart above. Winds screaming down from the N/NNW. Much excitement now, I can see a sleet symbol for these parts at midnight Thurs/Fri on the automated output 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Upgrades ?

Text seems to indicate snow to lower levels at times over the next few days ...

Even Salwick?

Posted
13 hours ago, Day 10 said:

The bleak scene at the Pier Head as the snow gets a grip. Liverpool, Merseyside. 6th February 1968.

Great photos Day 10. I'm no expert on Liverpool buses, but the bus in view looks a bit too modern for it to be 6th Feb 1968. The great west coast snowstorm of 5th/6th February 1996 perhaps? 

Posted

Euro4 is a cracker for our region Friday morning,but it is the Euro4 so huge caution.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

06z has Cumbria ppn down to 100m Friday aft.

Salwick 2ft of sleet.

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.67ed5b5c1f74a2f23bfc98d788f9c444.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Great photos Day 10. I'm no expert on Liverpool buses, but the bus in view looks a bit too modern for it to be 6th Feb 1968. The great west coast snowstorm of 5th/6th February 1996 perhaps? 

Hi, me neither. All images and text taken from the Echo, I'll get onto them now and tell them you're not impressed with the inaccuracies  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

06z has Cumbria ppn down to 100m Friday aft.

Salwick 2ft of sleet.

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.67ed5b5c1f74a2f23bfc98d788f9c444.png

Looks like 2ft of rain for the Wirral then  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Small upgrades today. Looks like the snow opportunities have increased a tad into the weekend as well.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6

Posted

I just don't see what there is to get excited about, might be some transient snowfall across higher ground in the region but the window is a small one and as soon as the low deepens and the NE'ly winds dig in then that's it for snowfall risk anywhere due to winds mixing the cold air out and winds coming in from a warm north sea.

The outlook on the models is just awful, the set up pattern is fine but we are really looking for scraps in terms of cold but yet you think looking at the model thread, we are heading into a significant cold spell. Certainly no cold from the east anytime soon and even worse we are likely too see snow melt over Scandinavia with that big blocking high. 

As for the Euro 4, hard to take a model too seriously when it thinks its going to snow out in the North Sea with uppers of - 4. Just not possible. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Hi, me neither. All images and text taken from the Echo, I'll get onto them now and tell them you're not impressed with the inaccuracies  

Hold on a moment. I've just had a look at my very good Philip Eden book and he has an entry for 5th Feb 1968, "another unpredicted snowfall hit much of the Western Midlands, Cheshire and Lancashire, with many places reporting over 25cm of undrifted snow.... the urban areas of Merseyside...... were particularly badly affected".

So possibly the date of the photo is correct although I'm still not convinced that they had such buses around in 1968. Strange how we've been talking recently about the great NW snowfall on another 5th Feb, this time 28 years later in 1996. If I'm still around, I shall await 5th Feb 2024 with bated breath!

If the Echo want to take me to court for wasting their time, tell them my name is Klopp, J Klopp  

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I just don't see what there is to get excited about, might be some transient snowfall across higher ground in the region but the window is a small one and as soon as the low deepens and the NE'ly winds dig in then that's it for snowfall risk anywhere due to winds mixing the cold air out and winds coming in from a warm north sea.

The outlook on the models is just awful, the set up pattern is fine but we are really looking for scraps in terms of cold but yet you think looking at the model thread, we are heading into a significant cold spell. Certainly no cold from the east anytime soon and even worse we are likely too see snow melt over Scandinavia with that big blocking high. 

As for the Euro 4, hard to take a model too seriously when it thinks its going to snow out in the North Sea with uppers of - 4. Just not possible. 

Not sure who's get excited folk are just discussing possibilities which after all this is a discussion thread,not seen any ramping on here just discussing what the models are showing.i agree no cold from the east,I would suggest look north for something colder and would not rule out a potent Northerly before months end and no this is not a ramp or guaranteed forecast just my view as to were we could be heading.

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Probably this has been answered before guys but... being in Sale (South Mcr) tier 3 of COVID, will it be possible to travel say to Glossop (Tier 3) (High Peak) over the weekend to ‘maybe’ see some snow (if snows) over the wknd?

I dont think we will get anything on our poor snowless Sale..Altrincham area..

Thanks guys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

No harm in discussing what the *short term* models are showing? However transient it may be some snow is better than no snow. 

• Like 6